Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Cape Cod and Nantucket advice needed for B'day trip with Mom.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, my mom's favorite place on earth is Cape Cod, so I'm taking her as a birthday gift for a few days. We live in Florida and it's been a few years since we've been able to get up there so I'd really like to make this a special time for her. I'm thinking about going on either the second half of April, or the first half of May. Is there any real differences in weather during that time period?

How about spring flowers, is either time better for catching them? Brewster in Bloom is going on the last weekend in April. How crowded does this make 6A and that area?

Am considering a day trip to Nantucket (we've never been to either island). Mom is crazy for Hydrangeas, are they out at this time of year? What about Nantucket's Daffodil Festival, is it insanely crowded? For a first visit, maybe it would be better not to go then?

In Nantucket we would just do a bit of shopping, eating, and rambling around looking at buildings and scenery. Do you get enough of Nantucket's flavor if you just stay in the downtown area?

As for food, if you could recommend ONE restaurant to eat in the downtown area, which one? We enjoy everything from clam shacks to fine dining, as long as it has a warm atmosphere and feels as if you are in Nantucket. Am willing to make an attempt to go somewhere not within walking distance if you feel it is REALLY worth it.

This trip is centered around mom so I plan on going antiquing, eating lots of seafood, checking out familiar places she likes, and trying to soak in as much of the Cape that she loves so much. I would really appreciate any hints or advice you have, especially about Nantucket since we've never been. Thanks so much.

Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 05:40 PM

Hi! You ask a lot but I can only offer a little.

Brewster in Bloom is not crowded on 6A, it's just a beautiful time to travel this road with all the flowers.

If it's not a problem I would opt for the second half of May. The weather may not be much different but many more places will be open in May.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 04:57 AM

First of all, the later you go the better, it can be very damp and cold in April.

I HIGHLY recommend a trip to Nantucket, it's my favorite place on the planet.

There are so many good restaurants in Nantucket, but some definitely give off more of a Manhattan vibe than a Nantucket one.

For a Nantucket feel in town, I'd go to Straight Wharf restaurant, American Seasons, 21 Federal or the Boarding House. I don't know if you're staying for dinner but Company of the Cauldron is a really good downtown fixed price restaurant.

Having said that, what I would do is get on the NRTA (Nantucket bus) from downtown and head to Sconset. I don't think you've really seen Nantucket if you haven't seen Sconset, and then I would dine at The Summer House, my very favorite Nantucket restaurant.

Sconset is probably the most beautiful village I've ever been too, and it's still like taking a step back in time. The Summer House is an inn with a fabulous restaurant overlooking a front lawn over the open ocean. It's spectacular, but I'm not sure that it will be open for lunch in April or May.

Either way, you can't go wrong, enjoy!
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 06:44 AM

I confess Nantkt isn't my favorite place, but if you're going for a day:

Make sure you take the "fast" boat, since, on a day trip, you won't want to waste time traveling.

The bus and Sconset advice is OK, but I wonder how much time you'll have to do stuff like that. I think knocking around downtown and maybe strolling over to the beach areas or visiting the whaling museum would fill your day, particularly if you're going to spend time dining at a nice restaurant.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 07:08 AM

I agree with the timing for your trip...you have a better chance of getting nice weather and more is open in May. That is usually the case but this year the cape has not even had a winter yet with today's temp in the 50's, so it's anybody's guess what April and May will be like! Dress in layers and bring some rain gear.....yu should be all set.
Our favorite place to dine on Nantucket is the Center Street Bistro in the town of Nanucket. It is small and realy feels like the island.

As for you Cape Cod stay, I don't think you have to worry about crowds or too much traffic at that time of the year. The landscape along 6A and the lower/outer cape from Brewster, Chatham Orleans, Eastham, Wellfleet Truro and Provincetown is nothing like Florida in that the shops are all small and usually privately owned. There are no big highways and the National Seashore has bought up about 1/2 the land from Eastham to Provincetown and protected it from developement.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 07:20 AM

The Cape advice is good- the later the better, as weather in the spring (if we jave one) can be so "iffy".
I would recommend staying along the North side of the Cape, -route 6A, than the Route 28 (south side), for you will get much more of a "Cape" experience. Brewster in Bloom is lovely, not too crowded, and because of the festival weekend most shops, eateries and galleries will be open. There's a wonderful coffee shop, pastry and lunch spot adjacent to the Lemon Tree Villages, which is worth a stop. There should be a historical tour going on that weekend, which is fun, as you will leasrn of the Sea Captains daughter who opened the "Ladies Library"- though men could join for an extra fee. The town voted several years ago not to change its name. Sea Captains home abound, along the 6A route, and a great place to stay is the Captain Freeman's Inn, in Brewster, an old Sea Captains Home, or the Old Manse, also in Brewster.
Browsing 6A and the towns, all quite different will take much of your three days on the mainland.
Try to take in the Lighthouse in Chatham, and the National Seashore Center in Eastham if you can, with wonderful walking trails if the weather is warm.
Have fun- if I can be of further help, give a holler!
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 08:18 AM

I live in Nantucket, so I will try to answer any special questions you have.

But general advice: everything about "later is better" is right. The restaurants mentioned are yummy, but many of them won't be open until mid-May. Daffodil Weekend is beautiful and a ton of fun, but it pours rain about every third year, and it is not going to be warm, especially for people from Florida. Hydrangeas and roses come late June, but they last well into the fall. The busses won't be running until mid-May. How would she feel about September, our very best month? Good weather, everything open, many fewer people.

But it's always wonderful -- as I look out my window right now!
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 08:21 AM

I agree about September, it's absolutely the best time, no crowds, gorgeous weather...can't wait to get back.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for your terrific advice!

Gene & capecodshanty, thanks for the info on Brewster in Bloom, even with the possible damp weather, you're both making us want to go more at that time! Appreciate the info that Chatham as a lighthouse because I've been trying to figure out which towns have them.

yellowbyrd, it's been awhile since we've been to the area so it's nice to know that it won't be too crowded at that time, and you make the Center Street Bistro sound terrific.

Nina, j_999_9, yellowbyrd, & Ackislander, thanks for the Nantucket advice. You all have helped confirm a few things for me, and given me more to think about. Ackislander, if you're ever looking to adopt, I'd like to volunteer myself...I can only imagine what you're seeing out your window.

j_999_9, just curious, why isn't Nantucket a favorite of yours?

To all of you, the weather situation does have me thinking. Would love to visit in September but I don't think we can wait that long! Just so you know, we're actually crazy Floridians in that we like the cold weather! We used to live in up north and miss it.

Once again, thanks so much for your replys, and I'll probably post again as time gets nearer.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 12:05 PM

Hi Beth! I'm heading to the Cape for my b-day [mid-September] from Florida.
Do write a trip report on your return!

Old Jan 4th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Winkz40, I know you'll have a wonderful time up there for your B'day. If I'm not mistaken, I think Harwich used to have a cranberry festival around that time that we loved. Seeing all that crimson red cranberry bogs is a sight like no other. I'll be sure to write a trip report on our return.

P.S. Isn't planning fun? I think looking forward to a trip is half the fun!
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 12:41 PM

OK, Beth, I'll try to explain succinctly why Nntckt isn't one of my favorite places, but LET ME EMPHASIZE that I'm just giving personal opinion and fully understand that others might think Nntckt is the greatest place ever. (Maybe that will cut down on the flames.)

I guess I'm just not attracted to "quaint." My feeling is that you can walk around the downtown area in about a day and get your fill, or, er,uh, my fill. Yes, just as with about any other ocean locale, there are some nice views and vistas, but nothing like, say, parts of the Pacific Coast Highway.

Lots of cute shops? To me, that's like saying "lots of proctology examinations." I can live without cute shops, as you may have guessed.

I guess what it comes down to is that I prefer someplace that's a little more varied than Nntckt and that offers activities above the level of eating and shopping.

BTW, Mrs. i_999_9 likes Nntckt and annually visits her girlfriend who owns a home there.

I'd venture to say you and Mom are going to enjoy your day there. I sincerely hope you do.

Old Jan 4th, 2007, 03:00 PM

Just one more thought. If you want to stay closer to the water and not on Rt. 6A try either the Fort Hll Bed and Breakfast or Aunt Sukies. I'm not sure if they will be open at the beginning of April but am pretty sure at least Fort Hill is open in May. You won't get a better locations if you want a real Cape Cod experience. Fort Hill is part of the National Seashore in Eastham and Aunt Sukies is on the Bay side in Wellfleet. They both have fireplaces in some of the rooms in case you want a real New England feeling and the Nantucket Cottage at Fort HIll has ocean views!
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 09:41 AM

Mr. J's comparison of cute shops to proctology exams is a classic! I'm still laughing!!!

Beth, I love planning vacations! Been working on this last summer (and glued to these boards since).

Have a great time!!!
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

j_999_9, I'm laughing along with Winkz40! While I'm more fond of "quaint" than you are (and mom absolutely adores it), I can certainly relate to the "too many shops" bit since I don't usually like too much shopping.

I really appreciate you taking the time to explain to me how you feel about Nantucket, and you actually helped confirm that mom would love it there. Aren't you glad we don't all love the same places, otherwise we'd be mighty packed in. Wishing you many more happy travels, hopefully to unquaint places!

yellowbyrd, I wish I could fold you up like one of those traveling maps and take you along, you're such a fountain of information. Much appreciated!

Winkz40, however did they plan vacations before the internet? Surfing the web researching is great!

Old Jan 8th, 2007, 07:00 AM

Girl, I'd be lost without these posts! LOL

This being our first trip to the Cape, I purchased the "2006 Frommer's Guide" as well as "Cape Cod, An Explorer's Guide".

Can't recall if someone mentioned this, but you may want to also check out www.nantucket.net.

;-)

Old Jan 9th, 2007, 04:38 AM

There will be new editions of both the Fodor's and Explorer's Guide coming out for 2007...you might want to check with those since many places change in two years. Also, Kim Grant (isn't she just great?! ) will be starting some Cape Cod web reviews at kimgrant.com that you might want to check out.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 07:40 AM

Yellowbyrd, thanks for the heads up on Kim's website.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 05:17 PM

I have to post...grew up going to the Cape and Nantucket (where I had relatives) in the summers...have taken my Mom there a couple of times, both times being Sept. But would love to try Spring and the Daffy festival someday...a day trip will be tiring, but maybe worth it, Sconset is a definate visit as well as the historic Main St. the Vineyard can be a good day trip from the Cape..if you can see the Naitonal Seashore on the Cape...Nauset..Chatham is wonderful too.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 07:46 PM

Beth: here is a link to some notes from my last visit to Nantucket and some of the restaurants we ate in
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34831794

I would also add for you and your mom not to only stroll the shops along Main St and off the side roads but also walk the Boat Basin shops along the docks - some cute little shops and fun to walk in those too - don't know how early they open, but would think they'd be up and running by May -
thinking you'd find that info on the nantucket home page -

if it is only a day trip, I agree you might well fill your day by cruising through the shops, the dock shops, the museum and a nice dinner - maybe wait and see about Siasconset dpending on the weather and if it is serving down by the ocean and how comfortable or not that might be early in the season.

If you get out there early enough, may be worth taking the bus or something to get a quick tour of the island and Siasconset, but might make for too hectic a day trip....any possibility of an overnight and if so, then you could get a fuller view of the island.