Canyonlands NP Needles District

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning to visit the park in late Dec. Park page mentioned that Route 211 is quite difficult to drive on. Anyone would comment on the difficulty? Also, is this area worth of visiting in the winter?

Thanks!
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 04:58 PM

Hi Cheerful,

I live in Utah and go down to Moab at least once a year. However, I don't navigate by Rt. numbers, so what road is that? The road that goes out to the Needles District?
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

Yes. It is called highway 211 in some map service. It is the only road that goes from Highway 191 into the Needle district.

Have you been to the Needles District in the winter? I am wondering if it's worth the effort and time to go there. NPS website seems to hint that you would need to drive difficult roads in order to see what that part of the park has to offer.

Thanks!
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 07:16 AM

Is this area of Canyonlands worth going out of your way to visit at any time of the year?
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 07:20 AM

HI Cheerful,

Now I understand what you are getting off the website. The road that goes out to the Needles District is paved and should be OK in the winter unless during a snowstorm. I have not been there in the winter, but Moab valley doesn't get much snow, some but not much.

Higher elevations will have some occasional snow, like the upper parts of Arches Natl Park and Canyonlands Island in the Sky District.

The rough roads the website is referring to are very difficult 4x4 trails. I would not recommend that an inexperienced visitor attempt any of these roads, especially in the winter. If you want to see these parts of the park and IF the local 4x4 tour companies operate their tours in the winter, go with them. They know what they are doing and have the necessary types of 4x4s, which sometimes are highly customized vehicles! However, I really doubt they go in the winter due to lack of demand and difficult road conditions.

There are lots nice hikes you can do in winter accessible via paved roads.
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 07:25 AM

Bayridge,

The Needles district is definitely worth a visit if you have time. It's very beautiful and completely different from Arches or the Island in the Sky District.

The biggest attraction of the district is hiking, mostly longer hikes and you must carry your own water. There are some shorter hikes that are very nice, but the best ones are well over 5 miles.

Also, 4x4 by permit is very big in the area.

Needles is most popular during spring and fall when temps are best for hiking and camping. Very difficult to get a camping spot and nearest lodging is in Moab, a 1 1/2 hour drive away. Really just too hot to do long hikes in summer, 100+ degrees and carrying water is not fun.
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Dayle,

Thanks for the information.

If I stay on the paved road, is there much to see in the Needles? Or I should spend more time in Sky?

thanks!
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 02:46 PM

needles is my favorite hiking in canyonlands. i especially like the confluence trail. when i hike there i actually stay in montecello rather than moab. the short cut road i take will not be good if there is snow. they do not plow it once you are past any houses. it is well over an hour drive from moab. all the hikes are great if there is no snow. you may be ok early in the season.

love this park!
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 02:57 PM

there was a problem with pulling up the other post on highway 160 and 191. 160 and 163 are comparible. 211 is fine except if there is snow!
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 04:11 PM

Hi again cheerful,

I, too, like the Needles better than Island in the Sky. Altitude at Island in the Sky is actually higher than Needles, so if there is snow, it's guaranteed higher up.

When traveling to outdoor destinations in winter, you just have to be very flexible and get daily weather reports from the local ranger and visitor stations. Go FULLY prepared clothing, equipment and food-wise and you can have a great time.

The red rock with a dusting of snow is beyond awesome!
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for the information!

I have not planned my days there yet. Is there short and easy hike (lazy me) to get a good scenic look? NPS website says Sky offers better view accessible by driving.
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 08:26 AM

Cheerful,

Yes, Island in the Sky has some fabulous viewpoints. Grandview Overlook and Dead Horse Point State Park are awesome. Also, one really nice short hike with incredible views is Mesa Arch. You look through the arch towards the La Sals.

Don't forget all the wonderful short walks to arches in Arches Natl Park too!