Search

Arches & Canyonlands in December?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arches & Canyonlands in December?

Hi All,

My husband and I are considering a week-long trip to Arches (and possibly portions of Canyonlands) next Christmas. We've checked the precipitation rates for the winter months at the NPS website and it's almost always less than an inch per month. I'm comfortable with a few (2-4) inches, but I'm concerned that that they'll be 8-10 inches of snow. Has anyone visited the parks in the winter?

Thanks! -Tigerlilies
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 04:43 PM

i was there during x-mas 2003. there were very small patches of snow scattered around arches NP. with all this global warming stuff you should be fine in 2007.
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 05:23 PM

Do your best to fit in Canyonlands. I can highly recommend it. We were there this past spring (family of 4) and of the 5 parks we visited in Utah, Canyonlands was my favorite.
Regarding snow, try emailing the park (there should be a link on the NPS web site. I had this question about mesa verde in February a couple of years ago and did get a reply from someone there - took about 10 days for an answer, though.
Or try the Grand County Library in Moab, Utah. The Reference desk is designed to answer questions!
I get some of my best travel/weather info from local libraries before we go somewhere. Of course I've worked in a public library for over 20 years.....