Canucks in Paradise - Trip Report

Old Dec 18th, 2004, 06:07 AM
CCinBC

Canucks in Paradise - Trip Report

No we aren't hockey players, but we are Canadians! We just returned from Maui earlier this week - 3 wonderful weeks (Nov 22 - Dec. 13) and we can't wait to go back!

If you are interested in fancy resorts and 4 star restaurant reviews this report probably isn't going to be helpful, however if you dream of seeing Hawaii but are on a budget I hope I can provide some useful idea as to some potential costs. Our priority for this trip was to just BE in Hawaii - there is so much to see and do that is either inexpensive or free. We chose to stay longer rather than blow our budget on a shorter holiday.

Napili Bay: Napili was wonderful - lush and tropical, quiet and quaint (even roosters crowing in the a.m.). The beach (accessed by a short path) was fun for body surfing on the higher surf days (the last half of our stay) and good snorkeling (for the first half) both there and next door at Honokeana Cove which is an easy walk along another small beach path. We saw turtles and countless fish. For first-time snorkelers it was amazing! We had fairly windy conditions during the 2nd week. The first and last weeks were mostly sunny with only occasional showers (usually in the early morning). I actually loved the rain - because it was warm it was relaxing and made everything glisten when the sun came out again. Oh, and did I mention the rainbows...

Part 2 - Napili Shores condos, some good value restaurants.

Old Dec 18th, 2004, 06:35 AM
CCinBC

Part 2 - Napili Shores and some good value restaurants

We found our condo on VRBO.com. We had a garden-view studio that was very well equipped and maintained. As this was the first time to stay at Napili Shores or use VRBO we didn't know exactly what to expect, but we were pleasantly surprised and happy with our choice.
Budget note: We were able to negotiate a better rate because we were staying for three weeks. It worked out to 4 nights free compared to the regular rate. Our rate was definitely lower than the other guests we spoke with who booked their units through Outrigger, however we didn't have maid service, which we didn't mind. We had a full kitchen which also saved a lot on food costs.
Napili Shores has very well maintained grounds and amenities - 2 pools, hot tub, and excellent gas BBQ's. Their staff is so friendly and helpful. The scent from the plumeria tree outside our unit was beautiful! The variety of tropical flowers and shrubs were amazing! (There were plants that I have seen back home as small house plants - here they are hedges or trees! We even saw poinsetta trees in full bloom while exploring the island, a nice pre-Christmas treat for us!) It was kind of a ritual for people to gather at the ocean side in the evening to watch the sunset and waves crashing on the rocks in front of the complex. (The sandy beach is very close - less than 2 minute walk from our unit.) Great location for bird-watchers, too.
Restaurants: We didn't eat out often, but when we did it was usually lunch or early supper as this was when we were away from our condo the most.
The Gazebo at Napili Shores: We had breakfast here on our last day and it was excellent! I had the banana mac pancakes and hubby had the bacon & eggs. Cost $16 (I'll give all prices in US dollars)
Aloha Mixed Plate in Lahaina: We went back a couple of times and really enjoyed sitting beachside and being served at our table at fast food prices. Our meals there were very good and we had a chance to try a variety of items. Some favourites were the ahi sashimi, grilled mahi mahi, kalua pork and shoyu chicken. Their Mai Tai's are great and definitely have kick, and for only $2.50 during Happy Hour (2-6pm) I couldn't resist! Hubby enjoyed the $1.75 bottled beers. Our most expensive meal there was around $40 and included 2 pupu's, 2 meals and 4 drinks plus tip. Nothing on their menu is more than $12.
Maui Tacos in Napili: Lots of great items to chose from. Be sure to try the fish tacos! They also had a variety of salsas. Lots of pictures of celebrities with the owner on the walls which was a novelty. We ate for around $10.
Charley's in Paia. We had lunch here. I had a fantastic ono papaya grill with salad which was very yummy. Hubby had fish and chips, also good. The total was around $25.
We ate at a few other places but these were the most memorable for good value/budget meals.
The Feast at Lele: our BIG splurge! So glad we did this one. I know there are other luaus with good reviews, but sitting at our own private table and being served 5 courses from different regions of Polynesia while being entertained with music and dance from those regions was so elegant and romantic! This was my 10th Anniversary present and I wouldn't trade it for anything. The food is a little on the exotic side for picky eaters (I loved it!) and the drinks were excellent (favourite tropical drinks: mai tai and Blue Hawaii). Cost $200 plus tip.

Old Dec 18th, 2004, 07:35 AM
CCinBC

Part 3 - Rental Car and Misc.

We booked our rental car through Discount Hawaii Car Rental.com and used Thrifty. It went effortlessly: didn't have to haunt websites waiting for the best deal or pay up front or even provide our credit card number when booking. We paid $138/week for an economy car (they upgraded us to a compact for free without us even asking) which came to about $550 for the three weeks including all taxes and fees. Just a note for those considering Jeeps - we found our Dodge Neon handled the rougher roads better. We were following a Jeep on the road past Ohe'o Gulch and watched as they were being bumped and shaken to the point they stopped and let us pass. Also our fuel cost us a lot less.
Oh and yes we did drive all the way past Hana - my husband has driven on dirt roads all his life so we didn't hesitate. We also went "over the top" from Kapalua to Wailuku. When they say the road is one lane they mean it! I'm so glad we did both as the scenery and photo opportunities were amazing, but if you like to drive fast, do the rest of us a favour and stay away from these roads. Our only tense moments came from people flying around blind corners way too fast. Besides, what's the hurry? There are visual treasures all along the way that you might miss.

Some favourite places to visit:
Haleakala: Didn't do sunrise, but drove up early (in the daylight). We got there before the clouds rolled in so wonderful views. The drive up the mountain is memorable too, if only to watch the change in climate zone/vegetation. Entrance fee for Haleakala Park is $10, and save your receipt as sometimes you apparently need it to see Ohe'o Gulch (we threw ours out and were a bit dismayed when we arrived at Ohe'o and saw a sign saying we had to have it - no one checked, so no problem).
Road to Hana: It had been raining so the waterfalls were incredible. If I was doing it again, I would plan to spend the night in Hana in order to take more time to see the sites. The black sand beach at Wai'anapanapa Park (just north of Hana) had impressive wave action when we were there - beautiful! Ohe'o Gulch was lovely.
Tadeschi Winery: We arrived in time for their tour (free) and did the wine tasting. Quite a novelty, we even brought some back to the Okanagan with us. There is quite an interesting history attached to the place, too.
Hula Shows: The Cannery Mall and Whalers Village both have free Polynesian shows throughout the week. The hula is such an emotional dance - often brought tears to my eyes! The keiki shows were so cute to watch.

Old Dec 18th, 2004, 09:16 AM
CCinBC

Part 3 - Groceries and Final Word

We used our Safeway card and also shopped at the Napili Market and Farmers Market in Honokowai. Longs seemed to have the best price on liquor. If you watch for specials and buy local produce you can shop quite economically. For example: we bought thick-cut sirloin steaks at Safeway for $3.99lb (about $12kg Canadian), marinaded them in Shoyu soy sauce and a little pepper and grilled them on the BBQ - excellent! Also, Napili Market had juicy, whole pineapples for $0.99 each and we bought papayas at the farmers market for $0.99 lb.
Some might think that 3 weeks on one island is too much, but after the 2nd week we had settled into a kind of "island pace" and our days were full and relaxing. We snorkeled and swam, shopped for souvenirs and explored the island and still feel there is more to see and do. We sat by the ocean at our condo watching the sun set and were lulled to sleep by the crashing waves. We woke to the sounds of birds and the soft breeze wafting in with scents of exotic flowers. I could go on...but you get the idea.

Some Total costs:
Condo (21 nights) $1750
Car Rental: $ 550
Groceries: $ 170
Dining out: $ 390
Gas for car: $ 90
Liquor, souvenirs, Misc. $ 450

TOTAL: $3400 + airfare
After converting to Canadian dollars this came to about $4450 CAD. If you factor in that you have to spend money at home on groceries, gas, etc. the real cost of the holiday was for us closer to $2900 USD or about $3850 CAD. I didn't include airfare as this is such a variable for everyone.

A BIG MAHALO to everyone on Fodors who were so helpful in planning our holiday!

Mele Kalikimaka Everyone!

Old Dec 18th, 2004, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CCinBc they didn't "upgrade you to a compact for free". They gave you a compact car because they didn't have any economy cars available at the time. I regularly reserve the cheapest car and about 90% of the time I am "upgraded for free" because they don't have any of the economy cars on the lot. Usually they will try to upsell you to a larger car but if you decline they give you the larger car at the same price as the cheap car you reserved. Don't fall for the "upsell"!!
Old Dec 18th, 2004, 02:44 PM

Canuck,
Thanks for the great report. I appreciate the cost breakdown. It's interesting to see what other people spend. When are you going back?
Mahalo!
-Bill
Old Dec 18th, 2004, 07:35 PM
CCinBC

Rusty - you are no doubt right about the car upgrade. Since Thrifty didn't try to upsell us or charge for the upgrade (or even mention it - just gave us the keys) and since they didn't do the hard sell on the insurance, I'll be kind and give them credit for treating us well.
Bill - I'm ready to return tomorrow! Hopefully again next year, maybe see if we can stay longer so we can check out Kauai and/or Big Island, too. Guess I'd better start saving!! (Love your screen name by the way!)

Old Dec 20th, 2004, 11:55 AM

I so appreciated your report - we're Cdns and looking forward to our trip at the end of Feb. 2 wks in Maui!! We're spending 9 days in Kihei area condo, 2 nights in Hana area and 3 nights at Napili Pte Resort. Like you, we're not looking to spend $200 US for a meal - we don't do it here and I'd be looking at nice places certainly - but to me, there's a point where it's ridiculous to spend that amt. daily - more a 'special night' to happen once or twice. Although our Cdn $ is better now, you still need to add 25% to everything. Did you go on sailing trip or whalewatching that you would recommend??
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 06:58 AM
CCinBC

Baddeck - I'm so glad my report was a help! Napili Point is next door to where we stayed and looked very nice, plus it fronts on Honokeana Cove, which if the water is calm has excellent snorkeling (and lots of turtles).
We didn't do any ocean tours, but if we had we would have chosen a tour with Pacific Whale Foundation. Our condo concierge recommended them and their profits go to preserving the environment.
www.pacificwhale.org
They had a small info site set up at Mile Marker 9 on Hwy 30 on our last day, (there had been a few dolphin and whale sightings) and we enjoyed speaking with the one of their experts. Hopefully those with firsthand experience can give some feedback.