Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Can't decide between Arizona & Florida in April..

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2000, 08:42 AM
Maxine

We are planning on going April 22-30 and can't decide between Florida, either Marco
or the Keys or Scottsdale. We are also traveling with a toddler. Thanks.

Old Jan 25th, 2000, 09:19 AM
betsy

April is when the humidity creeps back into the Florida air. The later in April, the more humid. It should be really nice otherwise (I'm from New England and can't stand humidity!!). Never travelled to AZ, but have heard the air is much drier there. If this is not an issue with you, go to Florida. I'd take the ocean over the desert any day.

Old Jan 25th, 2000, 01:14 PM
Anthony

Depends on what you are looking to do;beach& ocean, or just a resort pool in the desert? No onw can answer that but you.

Old Jan 25th, 2000, 05:21 PM
TC

If you want guaranteed warm weather, go to Arizona. If you want to take a chance on good weather, go to Florida.

Old Jan 25th, 2000, 06:46 PM
Bert

People often fall into two distinct categories: those that like urban trips vs. 'outdoors', mountains vs. seas, activity-a-minute vs. relaxing trips, etc. I also usually find people like AZ or FL, one much more than the other. I've lived in AZ several years, with many trips to FL. People that like AZ (Phoenix) tend to value: constantly blue skies, low humidity, lots of opportunity for outdoor activity, and don't mind heat. For those that don't like heat and think the desert is 'ugly', northern AZ offers 12,000 mountain peaks with good skiing, vast pine forests and great hiking, the Grand Canyon and Sedona, Lake Powell, Indian ruins. I think PHX lacks classical 'cultural' activities, at least relative to its size (> 2 million people).
FL fans value the water (of course) including options for boating/diving/fishing or just the calming effect of water, lush vegetation vs. arid desert, don't mind the humidity (too much, anyway), and don't mind the periodic showers.
I seldom meet people that passionately like both.
Which group seems to appeal to you most? In many ways, FL and AZ couldn't be more different. Of course both boast great resort accommodations and food options....

Old Jan 25th, 2000, 06:50 PM
Bert

For those paying attention, that's "12000 FOOT mountain peaks", of course, not 12000 separate mountain peaks!!

Old Jan 25th, 2000, 09:13 PM
Ken

Definitely Marco Island! It's a beautiful, tranquil place with an excellent beach and wonderful calm bay for the kiddies! The humidity won't be too bad in April!

Old Jan 27th, 2000, 06:02 AM
Cal

I have lived in both Florida ( Ft. Lauderdale ) and Arizona ( Phoenix ). It boils down to what you want to do. The weather should be pretty decent at both places. Perhaps a little more comfortable in Arizona.

If you want the ocean and beaches than it is a no brainer. Florida would be your only choice. However, if you want varied scenery and outdoors activities than Arizona would definitely be my choice. If you take away the beach, than Florida really has very little to offer.

Old Jan 27th, 2000, 09:33 AM
John

ARIZONA!!!!!

Old Jan 27th, 2000, 10:33 AM
Greg

The keys. Key west is a wonderful place to visit.

Old Jan 29th, 2000, 07:15 AM
John

While Key West is technically (geographically) one of the keys, it really is a world of its own.

Old Jan 29th, 2000, 03:06 PM
Maxine

Let me add, we go to Florida every year
and I am getting burned out on it. A
friend of ours suggested Arizona. But,
we are traveling with a toddler (20 months) and we need to find a child friendly place with stuff for her to do.

Old Jan 29th, 2000, 05:03 PM
sgorces

I'd say you can't really miss either way. But I've never been to Florida. I have been to Arizona and absolutely loved it. Particularly if you have not been to Grand Canyon, you must tour Northern Arizona. Sedona area is wonderful. Also, if you have some time, a week long loop around Northern Arizona and Southern Utah is a trip you'll always remember!

Old Jan 30th, 2000, 05:34 AM
Sandra Engley

Please keep in mind Easter Week in Florida is wicked crowded. It is the prime destination for the snowbirds of the Northeast.

Have been to both places. The attractions in Arizona are spread out over many miles and seemed less crowded. Spring break, Easter etc. can mean hours of waiting time wherever you go in Florida.

Old Jan 30th, 2000, 08:07 AM
Mitch in Phoenix

Like others have said, it depends what you're expecting from the vacation. Scottsdale is the high life of Arizona, but outside browsing of Old Town Scottsdale, there's not much to keep a todler occupied.

If you shifted south to Tucson, on the other hand, not only would your vacation dollar go a little farther, there's some real interesting sight right nearby.

One of my favorite recomendations to visitors is the Arizona Sonora Deert Museum. Lots of hads on stuff for the kids and a lot of "Wow!" for the adults too. A drive up Mt. Lemon is also nice and gives a feel for the variety of Arizona climate: yuu start in the low Sonoran Desert and end up in the Canadian Rockies. Long day trip to Tombstone is also nice and there's Kitt Peak. Kitt Peak is quite a drive from Tucson, but is home to more telescopes than any other observetory, has a very nice star show and is also home to the McMath Solar Telescope, the only one of its kind in the world.

Old Jan 30th, 2000, 08:47 AM
fran hodges

No one has mentioned the kind of people you are likely to encounter in both places.While Arizona has its share of retired folks, they don't compare to the cranky, rude and overbearing retiress you will find in Florida.

Old Jan 30th, 2000, 01:18 PM
Al

Being an ancient retiree who lives in Arizona, I think I will take a "pass" on the previous post! We're simply having too much fun and being too busy to be worried about where our next bowl of prunes is coming from. Seriously, having a lot of experience with kids and a grandchild, we wouldn't put a lot of time into worrying about keeping a toddler mentally occupied or physically busy. A box of Crayolas, a favorite stuffed toy, and a lot of room to run around in can work wonders. Out here, if you like life in the fast lane, go to Scottsdale. Great for adults, but a drag for kids. Other than the swimming pool. If you want to see one of the last, unspoiled, uncrowded, and clean beauty spots in America -- come to central and northern Arizona. April is a lovely time, not hot at all, cool and dry. With plenty for any healthy toddler to do.

Old Jan 30th, 2000, 02:28 PM
Gussy

Dear fran:
Right on!

Old Jan 30th, 2000, 05:00 PM
Bart

Fran and Al reminded me of something that simply hadn't occurred to me while reading these posts....the people in AZ are among the most pleasant and easygoing you'll find in the US, particular in PHX compared to many other major metro areas.
As for FL, well, if you can't say anything nice....

Old Feb 1st, 2000, 08:39 AM
fran hodges

No one said anything about"ancient"retirees " but now that it was brought up, let me add that it is not only retirees in Florida who are rude.The previous post is correct. Why not spend your vacation with not only beautiful scenery but nice people.Go to Arizona .