Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Canon or Sony Camera- which is your favorite, help me choose.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

I am trying to choose between the Canon 550 or Sony that is new with 8 mega pixels I think it is a cybershot.

I think both cameras look great and compact, but since I get such awesome advice from you all I thought you could help me make my choice. I want a easy cameras that is compact and of course takes great pictures. I assume these both fit the bill but I never hear anything about Sony Cameras so I wondered if any of you had actual experience with them. Please let me know, I have to go get one soon.

Thanks again!!
Than
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 12:43 PM

Can only recommend Kodak
http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_US
V series is very compact and takes great pictures. Depending on whether or not you are looking for photo sizes like 16x20, paying for additional mega pixels is not needed not to mention you will need a larger memory card which also gets more expensive. New V570 has 2 lenses, ultra wide angle and 5X optical zoom. We have a V550 and love it.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 01:26 PM

Don't know if you would like a SLR, but I have a Canon Rebel EOS and highly recommend it. I've always sworn by my Pentax SLR 35mm for years and was a little hesitant to switch over to digital. I also have a ancient Yashica and Cannon Ft that I don't use any longer. While the Rebel is not a camera that slips in your pocket, the photos are fantastic. I don't know much about the Sony (I have a Sony video and love it.) I use both the Pentax and Cannon currently. I bought my daughter a Kodak Easyshare. It's small and perfect for her. I would suggest getting the higher pixels; it will be the difference between taking snapshots versus photos and allow you to print (or have developed) clear, sharp and larger format photos. It really depends on what you will use the camera for. I would suggest you find a photo shop and let them walk through the two cameras pros and cons. Good luck and happy shopping!
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 01:41 PM

I would go to google and search digital camera reviews. It usually will give you a few reputable sites that have forums like this but regarding cameras. I also tried epinions, but those two weren't listed. I have a Sony Cybershot with 7.2 MP, and I like it very well. It has a Carl Zeiss lens, and the pictures and videos I've taken with it have turned out great. Happy researching!
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 03:41 PM

Go to www.steves-digicams.com and read Steve's reviews.

You can also go to www.dpreview.com, and compare two or more cameras side-by-side. That lets you compare features, but not really picture quality.

Both sites have a solid body of opinion from users, and the reviews themselves.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 07:35 PM

I and several people I know love our Casio digital cameras!
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 09:27 PM

I can't give advice on either camera. But I can tell you, as I recently posted on the Europe board, that we've had rotten luck with every Sony product we've ever owned. Offhand, I know that we've had a Walkman, a clock radio with cassette player, a computer (Sony Vaio) and cell phones (Sony Ericsson). We've had problems with them all. Never would I willingly buy another Sony product.
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 01:16 AM

i recently bought the canon SD550 and it is a major disappointment. it is my third digital and i bought it as a smaller backup to my canon G5, which is rather large for carrying during business travel when i also have my laptop and related accessories.

the pics are fine overall but the whole thing scratches very easily (ok, i was warned of this in the reviews but had no idea just how easily the body and the screen scratches). being warned, i put it in my pocket with nothing else or kept it in its case...after one day, it looked older than my 2 year old G5.

i have also read that the lcd panel is very easily broken --not good for a travel camera! if you buy it, i recommend that you fit it with a hard plastic lcd cover. unfortunately, this increases the size of the camera and makes the whole thing rather a mess.

The red-eye reduction is useless. be prepared to spend hours with photoshop repairing the eyes. there is no excuse for this on a point and shoot camera.

i have a friend who also bought this camera and ended up selling it on ebay within 6 months because he hated it so much (and he's not a picky photographer -- just someone who wants a decent camera that works ok).

you pay a premium for the canon name and for this camera, it is not worth it. my first camera was a casio which i loved. i also like the canon G5 so i thought the smaller 550 would be nice as well. if i were to do it again, i would get a casio as my small point and shoot. unfortunately, the canon sd550 gets pretty good reviews on-line from DP review and the bad points sound very minor in the reviews.