cannon beach oregon lodging

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be spending a few nights in Cannon Beach mid-April. Right now I'm considering the Ocean Lodge or Schooner's Cove. I have checked tripadvisor and they both recieve positive reviews. I'm wondering if anybody can give me anymore insight as how to choose one over the other. Thank you.
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 03:27 PM

I've never stayed at Ocean Lodge, but Schooner's Cove is my favorite place to stay in Cannon Beach. It is a very well maintained smaller property with very easy access to the beach (no long staircase) and downtown shops and restaurants are a block away.
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 07:30 AM

Ocean Lodge is a very nice property, we have not stayed there since we have a beach cottage in Seaside (ten minutes from Cannon) but have enjoyed dinner next door at the Stephanie Inn. We took a short tour of the property and rooms one time and found the property to be very nice. They have received awards for "best views" from a hotel, I am not familiar with Schooner's Cove. Let me know if you would like recs for meals in the area. ***kim***
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

I'd love recommenations for meals---we will be there for a lunch and Sat. night dinner. Thanks.
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 08:18 AM

I'd bet that if you saw both properties side by side, you'd choose Ocean Lodge hands down. It's much newer, and more architecturally appealing than Schooner's Cove. And the view IS better from Ocean Lodge, as I don't think you see Haystack Rock from Schooner's Cove. BUT, Ocean Lodge is about 1.5 miles from the center of town. That's fine when the weather is nice enough to walk the beach. But in April, it's likely you'll end up wanting to drive.

Best restaurants around are Gower St. Bistro (best clam chowder on the coast IMO), Wayfarer, Newman's, and Bistro. Don't go to JP's!!!
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 08:36 AM

p.s. regarding the restaurants.....

Wayfarer would probably be the best bet for lunch because it's one of the few restaurants in town with an ocean view. Any of the others would be good for dinner, but my personal fave is Gower St. Bistro. Newman's and Bistro are both fine, but they don't have much of a beachy feel. Same is true of the restaurant in Stephanie Inn.

If you're looking for a real casual lunch, my favorite is Ecola Seafood Market, Cannon Beach's equivalent of fast food.
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Kal

We're going to the Ocean Lodge and Schooner's Cove soon.
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 09:10 AM

Kal!
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 09:11 AM

Though I have never stayed at Ocean Lodge, I have stayed at Stephanie Inn--which is usually considered to be the best place to stay in Cannon Beach.

I have also stayed at every other property in Cannon Beach that is directly on the ocean with rooms that have ocean views.

Schooner's Cove offers great ocean views, but not of Haystack Rock. Most rooms are suites, with separate bedrooms and cooking facilities.

Stephanie Inn offers a wine tasting in the afternoon and a "gourmet" breakfast. However, we are not interested in wine tastings, spas, or elaborate breakfasts.

We would rather awake to a quiet breakfast on our deck overlooking the ocean.

In addition, several restaurants are within an easy walk of Schooner's Cove, but not of Ocean Lodge or Stephanie's Inn (except for the dining room at Stephanie's Inn which serves a multi-course dinner of the type we can't manage).
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 09:18 AM

LOL kal!!! Guess what...we ARE going to Schooners Cove, and soon Yes, really...lol! A girls weekend in 2 weeks!

Can I throw another hotel into the pot? Surfsand Resort is great. It is right on the water, great views of Haystack Rock, very easy walk into the heart of downtown, and they have a remodeled oceanfront building. The other buildings are still being worked on right now. The Wayfarer, which Beachbum mentioned, is at this hotel. And BTW, I ditto all his suggestions.

Old Feb 26th, 2007, 11:03 AM

Bistro and Newman's @ 988 are only open for dinner. Both are very good, Newman's is a bit more romantic and intimate. We love their chocolat pot de creme there, Newman's also does a nice Lobster Ravioli. Very friendly professional service, also at Newman's. If you decide on Bistro, I would recommend the Greek Lemon Soup, it is included with your entree, unique and very yummy!

If you want a casual seafood meal with a great view, our family favorite is Mo's. Excellent clam chowder and the make a nice Blackened Salmon there it is good, very reasonably priced and less expensive than Wayfarer and Gower St. Bistro (adjacent to the Cannon Beach Hotel.)

The Stephanie Inn is very elegant, you will need to call for reservations and they require a credit card to secure your reservation. It is a Fixed Price menu, so make sure they are offering something you like the night you plan to dine there. Cheers! ***kim***
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Ike

Changing the subject a little bit but what about Tu Tu Tun Lodge at Gold Beach. I know it's down the coast 200 miles or so but I have always wanted to visit Cannon Beach first and stay at Stephanie Inn then drive to TTTL before heading back to Portland for the flight back to Mississippi. What's your thoughts about that little short trip of 5/6 days staying at SI at CB two nights, then TTTL two nights then two in Portland. Thanks.
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 12:43 PM

I haven't stayed at Schooners Cover but the Ocean Lodge is very nice--I stayed there last March and liked it a lot. Being out of downtown Cannon Beach didn't bother me but I've stayed right in town before and that's nice too.

Are the prices comparable? Maybe that will be the determining factor ;-).

HTTY, how would you compare Schooners Cove to the Waves (the part of it that's right on the beach--the Flagship I think)? They look somewhat similar from their websites but of course it's always hard to tell from that. I've been to the Waves and thought it was a good place for the price so I'd be curious how you think they compare.

Old Feb 26th, 2007, 01:00 PM

You might want to start your own thread, Ike, but unless you have another reason to go to Gold Beach, 275+ miles is a long ways to go just for a stay at Tu Tu Tun. I'm guessing 6 - 7 hours of straight drive time, forgetting all the places you'll want to stop along the way. Tu Tu Tun is nice, but not THAT nice. As an alternative, consider 1 night in Cannon Beach, 1 in Yachats, and then 2 at Tu Tu Tun. It would be a long day, but for the return from there to Portland, I'd suggest down the coast to Crescent City, then hwy 199 through redwood groves and along the Smith River up to Grants Pass and I-5.
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 06:15 PM

NWWandereer,

I've never stayed at the Waves, but when I checked it out the rooms were dated. Maybe they've been updated; I don't know.

When I stayed at Schooner's Cove last year, our room had been freshly redecorated.

I have called a couple times this winter to get a room, but they were fully booked. There's a reason--this is a very well run place, the rooms have excellent views, and it has a great location in relation to the beach, shops, and restaurant.

Earlier I explained why I prefer Schooner's Cove to a place such as Stephanie Inn. I also prefer it to the Hallmark and Surf 'n Sand because it has a cozier feel and it attracts the kind of people I like to be around.

If you or your travel companion feel most at home where there is an afternoon wine tasting, spa services, heavy bathrobes, and a gourmet breakfast--Schooner's Cove isn't for you.
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 06:38 PM

Ah, ok, sorry, HTTY, I made an incorrect assumption that you'd stayed at the Waves from something you said earlier in the thread about having stayed at every place on the beach. But no biggie, I just thought I'd take advantage of your knowledge if so. I don't remember thinking the Waves was dated when I was there but it's been a while.

I like different types of places depending on what type of trip it is, who I'm traveling with and how flush I'm feeling ;-). Something that works for a romantic weekend isn't necessarily going to be the right place if I'm traveling with a friend or family members or by myself, for example.

In any event, it sounds like Schooners Cove is well worth looking into the next time I'm heading down that way, thanks.

Old Feb 27th, 2007, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

Kal-you are going to stay at both places? Pleae report back on your findings!
I'm traveling with my elderly but active mother and my college student living in the Seattle area--so a wierd little threesome. Trying to please three different generations--but they both sound like good choices. I am thinking maybe Schooners Cove could be more convenient and still offer the views.
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 05:30 AM

Happytrails--Do you mean the Surfsand? Not sure where a Surf n Sand is.

Old Feb 27th, 2007, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

I am looking into Surfsand as well-lots of great options.
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 06:09 AM

laurelee--We have stayed at the Surfsand many times and just love it. The rooms are very nice, views right out to Haystack Rock, right on the beach, easy walk to the heart of downtown, the Wayfarer is on site, and Gower St. Bistro is across from the lobby area. There is a fun glass blowing facility across the street, and a place to rent funcycles (3 wheeled recumbant bikes for on the beach...lots of fun!) is just a couple doors down. When I head over to CB soon, the only reason we went with Schooner's Cove is because we needed a 2 bedroom suite for our group. The Surfsand was our first choice, but the room set up didn't work for us unfortunately. If you can go midweek, the Surfsand has a special with rates starting at $109 a night, which is great as the rooms normally are close to $300.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -