Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Can you help with tour recommendations PHX to GC?

Old Jun 26th, 2006, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Phoenix next week for 5 days at Marriott Desert Ridge. Do you have recommendations for tour company that can take us to Sedona and Grand Canyon and back in one day? We will be two adults and a 12 year old.
Any recommendations of activities/sights are greatly appreciated. Thank you for your help.
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 08:30 AM

I have not used this outfit, but have seen their name around:
http://www.viator.com/phoenix-tours

I would think the bus trip through Sedona to the Grand Canyon would be a good long day trip.
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 09:27 AM

sorry, cant help there.. but i think the Marriott Desert Ridge is wonderful, and across the street - at Desert Ridge (shopping mall) is a great place to walk around, shop, eat... 12 year olds abound!
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 09:27 AM

We did a quick trip after a convention in Phoenix a couple of years ago. Sorry, can't remember the name of the tour company but I'd recommend that this be at least an overnight. We departed Phoenix before 10am, stopped at Montezuma's Castle which was well worth it, stopped for a short visit at a scenic area were Indians were selling jewelry. Got to Flagstaff in time for dinner. Spent the night. Got going very early the next morning so we were able to spend maybe 6 hours at the Grand Canyon. We were left off at Bright Angel lodge and were on our own to do lunch and take the shuttles to various overlooks. It wasn't quite enough time but a wonderful day. We noticed a long line coming into the park as we were leaving. Saw an IMAX movie about the history of the canyon in a nearby theater, stopped for supper and were left off at the airport at 10pm to take a red eye home. Calculate the length the time to get there/return compared to how long you will be at the canyon. You really need at least 5 or 6 hours.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 02:50 PM

Open Road Tours is one company I see around AZ, but, as a local, haven't used, though they've been here for years....look up their website. You also could call the Marriott concierge before you arrive and have her make arrangements.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

As always, Fodor's is the best! Thanks so much for the help. We have decided that we want to drive ourselves and spend a night on the road. New question -- should we drive straight to GC very early in AM, spend time there, drive part way back to Sedona, spend night and then hit Sedona early next AM? Or, should we do reverse? Any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated and Thanks!! WJH1