Reload this Page >

Can this be done in 1 day. Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 05:22 PM
Donna

My cousin and his girlfriend are coming from Italy. We have time for only one day in NY (4/29). They don't speak English. And I am the only one in the family who speak some, (emphasis on some) Italian.This is my itinerary. We are coming from NJ. I am taking the SeaStreak from Atlantic Highlands to East 34th Manhattan, (I know it would be better to go from the ferry in Weehawkin or Liberty state park but my sister is driving and doesn't want to drive that far).Any way then we will take a cab to St Patricks Cathedral, then walk up 5th Ave, window shopping to Central Park. Walk through the park,maybe stop at the Zoo. Then take a cab to UN. They have tours in different languages so I just email them and asked if they would have any Italian tours the day we are there. Is this doable? Is it too much, not enough? The language barrier makes it tough. Also could I fit Times Square in there? And if so when? I don't plan on doing the museums because it would probably take up too much time and we will be going to Washington DC with them the following weekend, so Smithsonian will be enough. Sorry for being so dense about this. I should know more then I do. Also, I have been to Rockefeller Center at Christmas but is there much to see during the spring? Oh and of course somewhere along the line we will feed then lunch. I haven't figured out yet about where we will probably be for lunch but when I figure it out I am sure I will be doing another post. I am open to any suggestions on this. Thanks much.

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 05:57 PM
hamlet

I think this is definitely doable, as long as you get into the city early enough (I suggest 10am), but of course it all depends on how much time you spend "shopping" and walking through the park. (some people can shop for 8 hours) Depending on when the Italian tours start I think it might be better to start there, if possible. If not, you can fit Times Square in at the beginning, heading directly there when you get to the city, and then at 45th or so going up to 5th Ave and toward the park - and you really don't miss the signature 5th Ave stores. Of course, if you stay later in city, it might be more interesting for them to see Times Square at night with all the lights too. There's nothing to see in Rock Ctr now except for whatever flags they'll have up.

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 06:00 PM
Donna

Hamlet, Thanks so much for your quick response. Donna

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 06:28 PM
Jess

You can skip the zoo in Central Park--it's no good, the one in DC is much better.

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 05:24 AM
Rosemary

I agree, take a walk in the park by all means but definitely skip the Zoo. Otherwise the itinerary looks fine.