Reload this Page >

Rochester to Niagara area winery?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 05:28 PM
going girl

We are flying into Rochester and heading to Niagara Falls in June... any suggestions for a winery to tour on the way???
For that matter... any suggestions on other places to see on the way???

Thanks for your help!

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 07:14 PM
Rachel

I don't know of any wineries right on the way from Rochester to Niagara Falls, but you can check out www.nywine.com--you might be able to find something there.

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 07:34 PM
Lois

Lockport is an interesting stop. There is part of the original Erie Canal there, alongside the newer one. There is a small museum located there as well. The wineries I'm familiar with are further south and east, around the Finger Lakes. Buffalo has the house where Teddy Roosevelt took the oath of office, and that has some interesting historical information. Also, just down the street from that is a Frank Lloyd Wright house. We got directions to it while at the Teddy Roosevelt site. If you're going to the Canadian side of the falls, there are some nice wineries there, less than a half hour past the falls. Niagra on the Lake is also worth a visit for an afternoon.

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 09:30 PM
Carol

You said you are flying into
Rochester and then on to Niagara
Falls. Well, there is there is the most awesome winery in route to Niagara Falls. It is on the way to the New York State Thruway that will take you directly to Niagra Falls.

The place is called Casa Larga Winery. Their wine has taken first place at many wine tasting events in the country.

It is in a suburb called Fairport, NY. The place is beautiful on a hill that over looks all of the city. Take the expressway 490E to the Bushnell Basin Exit, get off there and the winery is just down the road. The New York State Thurway is about 3 miles away and will take you to the falls. It is not out of your way at all.

They have wine tasting is every hour on the hour and has the most wonderful Grape Pies. If you need anymore info please let me know. It is not out of the way and a beautiful place to visit.

Have fun you will love the place - A Rochester must see.
Carol

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 05:49 AM
Cheryl

Old Fort Niagara is a ten minute ride from Niagara Falls, New York. The fort was built before the French and Indian War and is in perfect condition. The main building (referred to as the French Castle), is the oldest standing structure on the Great Lakes. It is a fabulous piece of U.S. history and very much worth a few hours of your time. Check out their website at www.oldfortniagara.org. If you have the time, the Finger Lakes are south of Rochester/east of Buffalo. Although slightly off your path, you could easily travel around one of the lakes, stopping off at wineries, before heading on to Niagara. There are also wineries along the route from Niagara Falls to Niagara on the Lake (Canada). Have a great time. Lockport (as suggested by someone else) is also a good suggestion. You can even take a boat ride on the Erie Canal and through the locks, and the city has some beautiful, old homes. Have a great time. P.S. view the falls from both sides.

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 06:19 AM
Brian Kilgore

Once you get to Niagara Falls, head to Niagara on the Lake. There are a dozen wineries there, most with guided tours, many with decent restaurants, many with tastings. Strewn is one Canadian winery with good tours.

BAK

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 06:26 AM
LLL

You're going to think I'm a little nuts, but I recommend stopping at the huge hydroelectric power station on Grand Island between Buffalo and the falls. You can't imagine how huge the turbines are and there's a great diorama that shows how it supplies most of the northeast with power (failure here caused the Great Blackout of whenever that was) by _diverting_ water from the falls at night and running it under much of the area into the turbines.

You don't have to be a science wonk to be impressed -- only about a 45 min. stop but you won't forget it.