Reload this Page >

Can 5 ride in one NY cab?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 1999, 11:41 AM
JM

Our family of 5 are spending a week in New York City. Will we need to take 2 separate cabs to our destinations?

Old Jul 13th, 1999, 11:51 AM
Frank

Unfortunately only 4 can ride in a typical taxi, 3 in the rear and one up front. Look for the minivans and 4x4's that are starting to be used as taxis, you may be able to fit five in those.

Old Jul 14th, 1999, 06:33 AM
soroya

Don't be afraid of the buses -- a great way to get around and see things on the way. Learn the routes from the helpful transit auth. map -- basically they're either cross-town (east west) or uptown-downtown (north south).

Old Jul 14th, 1999, 03:30 PM
Ali

JM-
I'll agree with the taxi route. It is true, there are now minivan taxi's and if you can find one, you will be in luck!! Another possibility, take a hired car service (approx. $45 from LaGaurdia to midtown), which would still be cheaper than taking two cabs and you would be able to fit everyone in the car. There is bus service from the airport to the Port Authority bus terminal (42nd & 8th ave I think), but you would still have to take a cab to your hotel - probably not worth the hassle. Trust me - especially with 5 people. Once here, you can always try to find a cheaper way to go BACK to the airport.

Old Jul 14th, 1999, 03:37 PM
Ali

JM - one more thing:
Sorry, I answered your question only in regard to the airport. As for getting around while within the city, stick with the city bus and subway. The subway is much, much faster, but try to avoid it during rush hour. You will be surprised at how many places are in walking distance - walking the city is such a great way to see everything. Otherwise, take the bus if you are not in a rush (also-don't take the bus during rush hour). You can use a "metrocard" on the bus and subway - that is the pass that you can use to ride the bus and subway. If you want, check out www.metrocard.citysearch.com. This site will allow you to buy metrocards in advance (with no tax or shipping costs). This will save you time and you will avoid having to wait in line to buy this card once in the city. I think they sell one week unlimited ride cards, that would probably be best for you and your family.

Old Jul 15th, 1999, 05:22 AM
Valerie

I agree with the above poster. Take the subway. To me the buses are too hard to figure out. You can get day passes on the subway for $4 also known as "Fun Passes", "Fun Cards". And no, they do not allow 5 people in a cab even with much pleading!

Old Jul 15th, 1999, 05:27 AM
Brian in Atlanta

They also sell one day "fun passes" for $4 that allow unlimited rides on buses/subways from the time of first use to 3:00 AM the next morning (if you use it 3 times, you've saved money). These are hard to find, though as most stations have signs posted "no more fun passes". You can always get them at the gift shop next to the transportation museum in Grand Central or at the MTA tourist info office at Times Square. And since they aren't activated until they're first used, you can buy all you need the first day. Do check and see if there is a cheaper weekly pass, though.

One warning about the buses. They unfortunately do not take dollar bills. Coins or Metro Cards only.

Old Jul 15th, 1999, 12:33 PM
Brian in Atlanta

I was just on the MTA web site (for business purposes believe it or not) and saw that you can buy metro cards on line at http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/

And there is a 7 day pass and it's only $17!

Old Jul 15th, 1999, 04:28 PM
Rachael

If you squeeze, you can fit 5, one in the front passenger side, 4 in the back, if older kids, squeeze together, if younger kids, one sits on a lap.

Old Jul 16th, 1999, 08:42 AM
Anne

This info was copied from another travel forum site:

"...For 2 or more people arriving by plane, especially off hours- Olympic
Limousine Service, airport to downtown locations or vice versa LGA-$30, JFK or EWR -$40. This is per car
NOT PER PERSON. Up to 8 people.
Not the cheapest, but not exactly expensive either -- 800-995-1200."