Search

camping in the keys

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
camping in the keys

hey,
me and a few other 20 year olds are looking to camp in the keys for spring break. we aren't looking for a "cancun" type scene, rather just a place where we can sleep under the stars and spend the days at the beach. some night life would be nice but not manadory. we're going at the end of march. any suggestions on where to stay, what airport to fly into, etc, would be really helpful.
thanks!
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 06:54 PM

The middle Keys had camping signs when we were there in January but I can't tell you much more. Do a web search on the Keys....Grassy Key absolutely had a campground, it seemed to me that alot of the popular scuba Keys had them. Sounds like fun good luck! Oh, Miami would be fine to fly into and then drive down maybe 3 hours depending on traffic.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 04:46 AM

The State Parks all have pretty good camping. Check out Pennekamp, Long Key, Bahia Honda. Bahia Honda would put you closer to Key West for night time activities. But let me caution you: They truly enforce the speed limit (particularly at night). There is a Key Deer refuge between Bahia Honda and Key West, and the deer come out and night and somtimes wander onto the main drag. So the spped limit drops at night and the state patrol WILL give tickets.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 07:32 AM

I camped years ago in a nice campground near Big Piney Key. Can't remember the name but had a pool, etc. Very important to bring bug spray that prevents no-seeums bites. I got eaten alive!
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 09:13 AM

In Key West check out Jabours.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 11:01 AM
GoTravel

Long Key State Park around MM70. Bring bug spray.

Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 02:07 PM

January thru March is "high season" in the Keys. We used to own a home on Cudjoe Key which is 23 miles from Key West. There is a campground at MileMarker 39 called Sunshine Key which is located very near Bahia Honda. They have a marina there that rents boats as well. I found their phone number on the internet, but couldn't find a website. (800)852-0348. It's not but about 3 miles from Big Pine Key- which has a few bars and restaurants, but is much quieter than Key West.
Don't know where you're flying from, but I would think it would be much cheaper to fly into Miami, since you will need a rental car anyway. I am looking at flying back from Key West to Tampa for my niece's Graduation in May, and the lowest fare is currently $312! (We are spending the month of May in the Keys).
Good luck and enjoy your holiday!