Please critique San Juan Islands/Seattle itinerary for late-March/early April

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are going to the San Juan Islands and Seattle for a brief vacation from March 30-April 5. We are in our late 20s and are looking for relaxation and scenic beauty (hence the islands). Please give us your feedback on the following:

March 30: Arrive around 9 p.m. from New York. Stay at the Red Lion Hotel near SeaTac.

March 31: Pick up rental car at SeaTac, drive to Anacortes and ferry to Friday Harbor. Spend three nights at the Highlands Inn in the Haro Straits room. Visit the other islands, visit Friday Harbor, do plenty of nothing.

Restaurants:
* Duck Soup Inn (on San Juan Island)
* Christina's (on Orcas Island)

April 4: Check out of the Highland Inn, ferry to Victoria and then Port Angeles, drive through Olympic National Park, and then to Seattle. Dinner in Seattle. Spend the night at Red Lion Hotel near SeaTac for an early departure on Sunday morning.

Except for the dates, nothing is set in stone. My questions are:

* What will the weather be like on San Juan island during our time? I gather mid-50s, but hopefully there will not be too much rain.
* It appears we'll be there before whale-watching season, but would sea kayaking be possible then? Any recommendations for a tour or rental company?
* Any comments or feedback on the Highland Inn? Two other places that I've considered are Cabins on the Point (on Orcas Island) and the cedar cabin associated with the Gaslight Inn in Seattle (on Lopez Island). We want privacy and views.
* Would you recommend the drive through Olympic National Park? Will the roads be open?
* Any ideas for dinner on Saturday night in Seattle? I'm thinking something quintessentially Seattle, so definitely seafood-based and regional fare. Flying Fish sounds promising, so does Chez Shea and Place Pigalle. Rover's looks great but is out of our budget. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 01:11 PM

I wouldn't try to get too fancy about island-hopping. You would need to check, but service from Friday Harbor to Victoria is pretty limited; there may only be one boat a day, or it may be suspended until closer to summer. I would just stick with whichever island you chose. I would plan a day for some sea kayaking or other water-oriented wildlife viewing; just beware of strong tides. You might want to save a bit more time for Seattle and that area, especially if weather is poor, because of the broader range of things to do.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 01:18 PM

Some concerns:

1) You may need to make reservations on the Washington State Ferries are running from the San Juan islands over to Vancouver Island. The spring service begins March 21st (doesn't run in the winter).

2) You may need reservations on the Coho (Victoria to Port Angeles run).

3) The April 4th itinerary is a very complicated plan for one day and not worth it in my opinion as you will not have time to see much of anything along the way. Victoria itself is worth a couple of days, and you are not going to have time to see the Olympic National Park once you get over to Port Angeles. The Coho (which runs between Victoria and PA) makes only 2 runs/day that time of year, which means you are on the 4 PM run. It's not a short run, so you will not be into PA until about dinner time. Sunset that time of year is around 7 pm or so, so it will be getting dark not too long after your arrive in PA.

All in all, too many problems with that day's plan.

Ken
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 01:33 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Service to BC resumes on March 20 according to the ferry system. I also think only one boat a day, which is typical for all but mid-summer months.

I don't think your itinerary on April 4 works. Assuming the WSF schedule is similar to that in the past, you won't arrive in Sydney until around noon, then most of an hour into town, then you'd have to catch the 4:00 Coho to Port Angeles, arriving around 6. It will be getting dark by the time you make it into Hurricane Ridge (Olympic NP) so that's pointless, then it will be around a 2 1/2 hr. trip to Seattle, assuming you make the Bainbridge ferry connection. Bottom line, how about a midnight snack rather than dinner?

If you want to cover the same ground, lop a day off of the San Juans and spend it in Victoria. Or, just skip Victoria and the Olympic Peninsula this trip, and come back later in the year, some year. Olympic NP is just too big and spread out to see much at all in a day or two.

There will be whale chasing services out of Friday Harbor; however you can often see them from the shore at Lime Kiln State Park on San Juan Island. Cheaper and easier on the beasts. As for kayaking, probably someone offers trips year-round, but you should lay on some heating pads to thaw your tuckuses.

The weather will be 50s, probably wet for at least one, possibly all, your days. Spring appears to be a little early this year so you ought to have some blossoms for your viewing, and allergens for your breathing pleasure. On the subject of plants, if you do go to Victoria, Butchart Gardens (on the way into town from the ferry) is pretty cool in the spring. Bring money.

Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. We'll cut out Olympic NP and go straight back to Seattle on the 4th via Anacortes and probably spend the day in Seattle proper. I've been to Victoria and Butchart Gardens before and loved it, so as Gardyloo pointed out, there will be another time.

Any thoughts about Seattle restaurants or holes-in-the-wall? Any recent experiences at Marco's Supper Club?

I'm crossing my fingers that there won't be too much rain . . .
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 02:13 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
On the presumption that nobody's listening ;-) I'll reveal a restaurant suggestion that, until the newspaper reviewed it last weekend, was a closely held secret by only several thousand foodies.

It's called Lark, located on 12th Avenue, right across the street from the architecturally award-winning chapel at (Catholic) Seattle University. No reservations, so be prepared to wait. Worth it and how. Smallish portions (with smallish prices) to be shared; amazing things like fois gras with kumquat chutney, rice pudding with black truffles, artisan cheeses from all sorts of tiny producers...oh, my. If you're NYers I'm prepared to bet you'll compare it favorably with the best Gotham can offer.

Use your waiting time to cross the street to the chapel and give thanks for what you're about to receive. Don't hold back.