Search

Camping in Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2000, 10:16 AM
Nicole

Camping in Hawaii

My fiancee and I are planning an August honeymoon in Hawaii. We haven't settled on a specific island yet, but we know we are interested in spending at least some of our stay camping. I would appreciate any feedback on some of the most beautiful and secluded camping available on any of the islands.

Thanks - Nicole

Old Nov 12th, 2000, 01:15 PM
Lori

You plan on taking camping gear all the way to Hawaii?

Old Nov 12th, 2000, 05:47 PM
Mary

Nicole,

If you go hiking, leave absolutely nothing in your car at the trailhead. My boyfriend and I went for a hike on Maui (a trail in a book suggested by some locals, a wonderful, secluded spot) only to return to our car and find everything gone.

After spending several hours at the police station filing a report the policewoman told us it happens so often that they've made theft from vehicles a felony in Hawaii. They did not catch the theives.

We didn't have much in the car (and had our wallets with us) but it still amounted to over $3000 in missing hiking stuff, swimsuits, backpacks, toiletries, glasses, etc.

The policewoman said that two police officers from Chicago had their tourist-mobile robbed and had their badges stolen. She thought that was hilarious, and it certainly indicates that the theives can be bold.

So, if you decide to go hiking or camping, bring everything with you. If you camp, be sure to watch your stuff or break camp each day. Backpacking might be a good alternative.

Enjoy your honeymoon, hope the trip is fabulous.

Old Nov 13th, 2000, 07:45 AM
bly

Nicole: We too are looking at honeymooning and camping in Hawaii next spring. There's a couple books by the author Doughty that had some great ideas for backpacking trails and camping. "Hawaii: The Big Island Revealed" was one. He also has a book on Kauai. Go to Amazon, look up the first book and it'll list other similiar books.

Old Nov 18th, 2000, 03:19 PM
Alan

Hi Nicole, My wife and I went to Maui 2 years ago and we spent a night at a cabin in Wianapanapa state park and they have camping there. There is a caretaker there and showers and best of all it is free camping. You can only stay 5 nights though. I found a good website for info, it is www.alternative-hawaii.com just go to accommodations and there are links for camping to all the Islands.
Hmmmmm...I thing I should plan a trip too!!!! Have fun!!

Old Nov 18th, 2000, 04:36 PM
JJones

ALOHAMOLOWAHU TRAVEL AGENT !!!!

Is it just coincidence that everyone responding to this troll uses just their first name ?