Reload this Page >

Maui Heidi At it Again!

Search

Maui Heidi At it Again!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2000, 01:05 PM
XXX

Maui Heidi At it Again!

I just clicked on a discussion on the frommers travel board and who should I see but MauiHeidi? Same routine, different site. She's relentless.

Old Aug 17th, 2000, 01:43 PM
sowhat

so what!

Old Aug 17th, 2000, 10:42 PM
getover

and your point is??? get over it!

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 05:46 PM
sammie

Ditto to the so what comments. I have read some of Heidi's old Fodor posts. She is very knowledgeable and answers questions when asked for opinions.
I occ look at the Frommer's board, she identifies herself as a travel agent on that board. she is not misrepresenting herself in any way.

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 10:30 PM
fedup

O.K, Heidi/sowhat/getoverit/sammie or whatever you're calling yourself at the moment...yes, commercial promotion IS prohibited on Fodor's, much to your chagrin! No, you cannot announce that you will be hosting a "monthly column" here or pretending that you just show up at your Maui travel agency every day "out of the goodness" of your ever-so-altruistic heart. You must be independently wealthy and not have to rely on any income at all, yet you choose to spend your days working at a travel agency for commissions?? How very unusual.

You will have no more success here than you did the first time, so move on, Miss Money-Grubber.

Old Aug 19th, 2000, 08:15 AM
CMcDaniel

I never read Heidi's posts until I started seeing posts urging her to leave, or Fodors to ban her, then read a few, but they all seemed relatively innocuous.

Just looked at Frommers and yes, she is clearly identified as a travel agent. Noone is pulling the wool over anyone's eyes.

She lives on the island so has current information and her extensive knowledge is valuable to all of us. On Frommers she was going down a line up of hotels for recs...taking one beach and moving from north to south down the line showing what hotels were available. Wouldn't you prefer to have someone here who has this much info, rather than run her off and be left with those of us who have been a time or two (maybe 5 years ago) and really aren't in a position to compare?

I don't know, perhaps I missed some serious wrong doings, but I think you're cutting off your nose to spite your face by saying she shouldn't be allowed to post simply because she works in the industry!

My husband works in the industry too--he runs hotel and I go to great pains always to point this out if I say a *thing* about his hotel. We live in so we both literally eat, drink and sleep the industry. And although this is one of only 3 or 4 4 star/4 diamond hotels in our area, I'll often omit reccommending it or its restaurants altogether, simply to *avoid* ever being accused of bias or of promoting the hotel or chain!!

Because of his job, we've lived in some great tourist destinations. Travel is not just his job, the industry becomes your life (and a great one at that), and I love answering posts on some of the areas in which we've lived and of which I have intimate knowledge because we literally have lived in the midst of what was "happening". Heidi and I both "live" tourism--I know I enjoy sharing and helping others with travel and feel she's probably in a similar situation.

As I said...I wasn't here to see objectionable posts she might have made, but it seems to me to be more sensible to censor her if necessary, but welcome the invaluable help she willingly gives. She knows the island inside out...you won't find others with as much to contribute on that topic! (And no....I'm NOT connected with her, nor does she promote our hotel! gt;)

Old Aug 19th, 2000, 12:11 PM
swarming

CCDaniel, your association with the travel industry was apparent in your first paragraph! You didn't even need to announce your affiliation with it; it's readily apparent. Ever notice that those who are a**-deep in it are the first to defend it? Gee, now I wonder why? Oh yeah! Money, money and of course, money.

Old Aug 19th, 2000, 04:17 PM
CMcDaniel

Why, simply because I stated that the posts I read seemed innocuous, does that make it readily apparent that I'm associated with the travel industry?

You missed my point entirely. As I said, I enjoy travel and live it daily. I enjoy sharing what I know about a city. That's it. I also said, I NEVER, EVER, promote my husband's hotel. Ever. So how does that make him money....when I intentionally leave it out to avoid any possible accusations of conflict of interest, even if it could be the perfect fit for someone? Get real! I'm not here to steer anyone his way (he has a full time sales department whose function that is) and resent your implication that that is my purpose in posting.

You have a serious problem, but neither I nor Heidi is any part of it. By the way...I live as in FL, not Hawaii, just in case you were curious.

Old Aug 19th, 2000, 10:35 PM
Free Advertising

To the Author.

Do you relize that everytime you bring
the subject of MauiHeidi onto this board you are in some way or another giving her free advertising, you are doing it for her. No matter that you bad mouth her or not. It makes people that are interested enough go and look her up on what ever board she may be on.
Now if you really want the subject of her to go away don't bring it up.

Just a thought...

Old Aug 19th, 2000, 10:42 PM
goodidea

I liked what MauiHeidi did and wish
Fodors would invite her back, I agree with PHX201, that those of you that are
always putting her down are just giving her free advertising and she is probably just laughing at you.
By the way I know she can be found at
Frommers as well as Ivillage.com
so for those looking for her that is where you will find her.

[email protected]

Old Aug 19th, 2000, 11:03 PM
Donna

She may, or may not, have something to offer here. Everyone has the perfect right to, or not to, pay atention to her, including you. So what? Who cares? Those of us who are generous and serious contributors here don't mind. We believe that any and all recommdendations and advice are worthy of consideration. Remarks, so far as I am concerned, from anonymous authors are far more ridiculous than those of "real" ones. You know, those with their own names and valid e-mail addresses. I'm wondering what you've contributed to this forum?

Old Aug 20th, 2000, 08:47 AM
Debi

I don't get what all the fuss is about? It seems that she might have some good information to share? Isn't that what these boards are all about? I ultimately decide how and with who I spend MY money, so reading someones suggestions is just that!!! So what if they have ties to an agency OR the industry! I am picking someones brain for FREE!!

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 07:54 AM
EndofStory

Fodor's has a policy of no-solicitation on this site. Heidi broke the rules by soliciting business for her agency. End of story.

And to those who are defending her-where are your morals and values? She broke the rules, she pays the consequences! She was warned and kept breaking the rules! So why are you defending someone who can't abide by the rules? If you do not like the rules here, perhaps you should post on Ivillage or Frommers where they have no rules against self-promotion.

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 08:13 AM
Department

Good news! Maui Heidi just applied for welfare from our department. It seems that everyone thought she should be forbidden from earning a living as a travel agent, so she threw in the towel and quit work entirely. Our department learned that if she had the nerve even to participate on ANOTHER TRAVEL BOARD, the Fodorites saw fit to rip her a new one, even though she hadn't visited their board in MONTHS!

So, Fodorite taxpayers, Maui Heidi will be on the dole until you people lighten up.

Old Aug 23rd, 2000, 02:45 PM
Jan

So What Heidi is on the frommers board.
I'm glad for her. I enjoy reading her comments. She is very knowledgable!!! I wish she would come back to fodors.

Old Aug 23rd, 2000, 03:41 PM
do

I like reading MauiHeidi far better than you. I wish she never left this site. Her advice was very informative.

Old Aug 23rd, 2000, 04:02 PM
Q

Heidi-You will try anything to get back on this site won't you? Be a good girl now and go back to Frommers.

Old Aug 24th, 2000, 04:13 AM
karin

"xxx, fedup, swarming, endofstory, and q",

You need a shrink to deal with your paranoia and multiple personality disorder! Let it go, you'll be a much happier person for it.

Old Aug 26th, 2000, 10:42 PM
Hope_62

I came late to the party, but it seems
there are alot of people upset with
this Heidi person. I am just wanting
someone to bring me up to speed and tell me what she did that made so many people mad at her. Also for those of
you that seem to defend her I would like to know why as well.

Just interested..

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 04:20 PM
JDP

Guess What MauiHeidi is on About.com
giving out her great advice so for those
looking for her thats where you will find her.

JDP

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -