Reload this Page >

Camera film question

Search

Camera film question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 09:02 AM
Bubba

Camera film question

In a couple of weeks, I'll be taking my first flying trip since 9/11. I'll be packing approximately 4 rolls of Kodak 200 35mm film in my carry on. Is it safe to put the film through the screening machines?
I've done it in the past with no problem, but I'm wondering if the machines are set higher than they used to be.
If the machines will present a problem, can the film be given to the screening person for a manual check?

Any advice or recommendations would be welcome. Thanks.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 09:23 AM
Dick

This question has come up several times recently, so you may want to search for some of the earlier more comprehensive responses. The consensus is that film slower than ASA 1000 will be fine, even with multiple passes through the x-ray machines. I don't know if it's true that the machines have in fact been set higher since 9/11, but I have traveled internationally a couple of times since then with film up to ASA 800 and had no problems. I am quite fussy about my photos and I do know how to recognize even slightly fogged film. I always ask for hand-checking anyway, and am always politely refused.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 05:09 PM
Pete

I would not put your film in anything that you check. I was told the new machines they use on checked items will ruin the film. Carry your film in a carry-on!!!

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 05:21 PM
Dick

Yes, my understanding is that Pete is correct. My earlier comments applied to carry-on bags only.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 06:29 PM
Larry

200 din film should have no problem. However, the effects add up for each pass thru the machines. If your trip will require multiple passes thru security scanners, ask to have the film hand processed. A couple passes should not hurt it.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 09:01 PM
pat

took some of the same rolls of film to NZ and then later, some of the same film went to Canada. I put it in my carry on baggage on both trips, and the pictures came out fine. It went through several screenings. It was ASA 200

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 09:05 PM
Polly

Yes to all the above plus:

If you are still paranoid as I was when I first anticipated flying with film after 9/11, you might consider purchasing your film after you arrive at your destination. I even had some of it developed when I had the opportunity to do so before coming home. I did have about 1/2 doz rolls that went through carry-on screening without any apparent damage. Depends on the airport as to whether they will hand check it. Denver airport offered to do so.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 06:41 AM
ab

I had 2 rolls ruined, they were disposible cameras, which supposedly have 800 film. I didn't want to take my regular camera on this business trip and thought these disposibles would do just fine. I was randomly selected to be further searched so my luggage went through further screening. The photography store recommended I use a lead bag next time and I will. Both roles were badly damamged with light exposure.