Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

CAMBRIDGE, MA : HYATT REGENCY OR SHERATON COMMANDER ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 1998, 02:57 AM
Monica

Which hotel do you suggest me in Cambridge, between Hyatt Regency and Sheraton Commander ?
Other advices and councils for my visit to Cambridge ?

Old Jun 19th, 1998, 08:11 AM
ben

I'm not familiar with the Sheraton, but the Hyatt would be an excellent choice. It is located on Memorial Drive, overlooking the Charles River and the Boston skyline. It's a modern hotel, with an excellent spinning rooftop bar/restaraunt.

Old Jun 19th, 1998, 03:47 PM
carolyn russ

The Sheraton COmmander is far more charming and better located. It is an older hotel and European style with good service. It is in walking distance to Harvard Square which has lots of great restaurants, shopping, the Harvard museums, etc. also a T station (the subway). You can get to downtown Boston in 20 minutes on the T. the Hyatt is a big modern hotel with glass elevators, atrium etc. but it is not near anything else and you would need a car to get anywhere from there. And if you don;t know your way around, I don't recommend having a car. There is NO PLACE to park in Cambridge or Boston. Gopod restaurants in Cambrdige are Upstairs at the Pudding; Casablanca, Henrietta's Table. There are lots of choices, these are jst ones I like.

Old Jun 19th, 1998, 03:54 PM
Donna

Monica: Are you really planning to travel in New England? I've seen numerous posts - do you ever actually take these trips? If so, please post your recommendations for places you have visited.

Old Jun 19th, 1998, 04:59 PM
helga

IMO, the best located and nicest hotel in Cambridge is the Charles Hotel --right in the middle of Harvard Square. It's pricey, but worth it for the convenience and the cut above all the other hotels in the vicinity. The Hyatt is nice, but not at all convenient to public transportation or walking around Harvard.