California Wine Country

Old Sep 16th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
California Wine Country

We are going to a wedding in Sonoma on October 17th and would like to spend 3 days in that area. Any recommendations for accommodations and restaurants? Any help would be appreciated.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 08:00 AM

What would be your budget?

There's quite a bit to choose from.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 08:55 AM

Are you going to Sonoma county or the town of Sonoma?
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 09:08 AM

We like th Sonoma Mission Inn in this area. It's a gorgeous resort with a very nice spa. I would check out girl and the fig, Carneros Bistro, El Dorado Kitchen and Cafe La Haye in the Sonoma area. Have fun! ***kim***
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 01:18 PM

Yes, kbarshay, do return and tell us where in Sonoma COunty you would like to sleep. It's a very busy time of year here and many places will be booked.

R5
We truly dislike the Sonoma Mission Inn !
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 08:26 AM

kbarshay,

You didn't specify, but here's a list I've posted previously - it encompases most of the main places in Sonoma county (but is certainly a long way from all encompassing). And many of the places below will be pricey - but not by "California Wine Country" terms. I've said this many times on previous posts, but what may seem prohibitive in some areas is "normal" in Wine Country of SF where lodginig can be upwards of $700 or even $1000 a night (Poetry Inn, Bardessono, of course, both in Napa, not Sonoma).

In any event here goes:

SONOMA LODGING:

Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn: We have stayed here several times and it is always nice with mostly impeccable service; the spa is beautiful; the rooms are nice - they have remodeled some and not others though; and, in general terms, the food is good - especially breakfast and lunch by the pool. The downsides (if there are any) are that the restaurant (see below); the front desk staff can be a bit standoffish; and the location is in what I have others term "a rundown area;" I would only say that it is simply a residential neighborhood where a lot of the people who work in Sonoma's tourism industry live - but it is sort of "county like." And while it is slightly removed from Sonoma town - it is still close enough - when we have stayed, we catch the SMI shuttle into Sonoma and taxi back (about $10 maximum) Otherwise, I would recommend SMI over the other properties. And, again, having said that, you will see many people who love SMI and others who hate it. What I have found is if you get a "deal" booking on one of the consolidator websites for inexpensive (let's say $200 a night), then you will likely get one of the older rooms in the older building and probably won't be happy. If you get a suite or 1BR room in one of the newer, remodeled out buildings you will likely like it. I have seen this debate for many years over SMI and can tell you we have seen them royally screw up with guests - not sure why that is - but in one instance we were there and the Front Desk was absolutely horrible to a customer, but when I stepped up, they were pleasant and accommodating... So... I understand both sides.

Kenwood Inn: Kenwood is another beautiful property with impeccable service, a great restaurant, and a nice spa. The grounds are beautiful, the staff is great, and the rooms, while some are quite small, are charming. I can also highly recommend this property. The property is removed from the main town of Sonoma and restaurants so if driving to dinner is a concern, then you would want to consider this.
The Lodge at Sonoma: though it has gone downhill a bit and is under newish management this is a nice property – while they have remodeled, they also raised prices and for what they charge, there are much nicer places to stay.

The Glen Ellen Inn: in, obviously Glen Ellen just sort of east west northwest of Sonoma. They have almost new beautiful little cottages on a creek side – they (the cottages) look very Italian. The Glen Ellen Restaurant is owned by the same couple who own the Inn and the food is fantastic. Probably the best “inexpensive” accommodations in Wine Country.

Madrona Manor: This, too, is a nice property - some of the rooms are a bit frou-frou Victorian (we recommend the "Schoolhouse" suites), but the service is impeccable. But like Meadowood and Milliken Creek, it is removed from the main town area and to go to dinner, one has to drive, so also keep this in mind.

Hotel Healdsburg - I would not stay here - they definitely have a service problem - I gave them several chances and the service is just awful. It is a beautiful property with lots of glitches. Wonderful Spa and sporadic restaurant in the Dry Creek Kitchen (see below).

Les Mars Hotel is beautiful, but extremely pricey. But an incredible place – one of the best (if not the best) hotels we have stayed in. The service is impeccable and the rooms are elegant and decorated with period pieces – I believe most of the rooms have fireplaces. Les Mars is the ultimate luxury for a special occasion, anniversary, 50th birthday, etc. Great restaurant with Cyrus (see below).

Hotel DuChamp - it is a wonderful little place in a modern art, cubist sort of way with excellent service.

The Farmhouse Inn: In Forrestville – nice place – they have just added on to the property and now have more rooms. Overall, this is sort of “Bed&Breakfast” meets “Country Inn.” The restaurant here is incredible, see below.

SONOMA FOOD:

- Cyrus: Best food ever – very pricey, but well worth it, and, we think, better than The French Laundry.

- Cafe le Haye: Nice, but very small, place in downtown Sonoma just off the square - mostly excellent food, but can be hit and miss - usually it's hit, but on rare occasions, miss...

- Della Santina: off Sonoma Plaza just across from Café Le Haye. A nice little Italian restaurant.

- Dry Creek Kitchen: Very sporadic - when they first opened, the restaurant established a great "foodie" reputation, but is now, seemingly, resting on it's laurels. You can have a great meal here or one of the worst meals of you life - we've had both!

- el Dorado Kitchen: on the Sonoma Plaza: nice, sort of frou-frou comfort food - generally pretty stable - we've eaten here three times and gotten good service and good food.

- Estate: an OK restaurant from the folks at “Girl and a Fig.” They are very relaxed, downscale with good food and a beautiful patio.

- Mary’s Pizza Shack: a Sonoma standard by which all other pizza places are judged – if you like pizza and don’t want to spend a lot, this is a great place – the pizza is incredible.

-Sante in the Sonoma Mission Inn is a bit sporadic - great sometimes and just OK other times. Like Dry Creek Kitchen, can be incredible, or just blah, or downright awful.

Santi Restaurant in Geyserville is a nice, quaint, beautiful, and charming restaurant off the beaten path in Geyserville – the food is delicious and service is great.

The Farmhouse Inn Restaurant: Incredible food – comparable to anyplace you’ve been in SF or New York…

Red Grape Pizzeria: off the Sonoma Plaza: Really nice, inexpensive food with good service.

Hope this helps!
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so so much for your recommendations.

Kitty
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Kal

We stayed at the Best Western Sonoma Valley Inn a few mos ago.
Close to everything in "Downtown Sonoma".

Ditto Della Santina's and ElDo Kitchen.
Sonoma-Meritage Martini and Oyster Bar was good too.
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 11:55 AM

I was reading peregrinator's post with great interest, until I got to the description of Mary's Pizza Shack, which we (IMHO of course) consider ordinary at best. The pizza isn't in the top 100 of pizzas I've eaten in my life.
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Kal

Old Sep 17th, 2009, 01:50 PM

"Mary’s Pizza Shack: a Sonoma standard by which all other pizza places are judged...

Without a doubt this is an absolutely insane statement
about Sonoma's standards, or any county, when it comes to pizza.

R5
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 01:53 PM

We were in Sonoma town in August and stayed 3 nights at The Hidden Oak B&B. Loved it. So close to the square (ie. you walk).

Had a very good lunch at The Red Grape ... owner was behind the bar (which we sat at) and was very helpful and a real Sonoma "booster". Good pizzas.

Had dinner at The Eldorado Kitchen. Sat outside in the courtyard by the pool. Was a very warm evening (had been 97 during the day) ... there was a balmy breeze, little lights strung overhead, a sunset, good food ... a really memorable evening. Oh and most important, on Wednesday's (the night we were there) they have a special wine list ... all the bottles are 50% off !!! A deal for sure.

The service was friendly but not the most professional ... emtpy beer bottle left on the table until I flagged someone down and handed it to them (table was not huge and the bottle should have been removed). A small niggle though as we all enjoyed our food and the atmosphere alot.

Had a dinner at The Swiss Hotel ... not bad but not memorable at all.
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 02:44 PM

Also liked La Charcuterie for a casual meal. Sorry to hear that Dry Creek Kitchen has gone schizo. We had an excellent meal there about 3 yrs ago.
Old Sep 19th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Are there any B & B's in Sonoma or close by? Things are getting booked quickly and I am worried that we won't be able to find a nice place in the area.

Thank you for all your help.
Kitty
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 04:50 AM

If you have trouble finding a place to stay, try vacation rentals by owner for Sonoma, or Glen Ellen or Healdsburg..
www.vrbo.com/sonoma.. you should find nice little rental properties. Same price as hotels in the area, and more room to spread out.
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 07:41 PM

To both sf7307 and razzledazzle:

Frankly, I think you're both out of line - this is a forum for opinions - and opinions are like noses, everyone has one. If you don't like it, say so, and give the reason, but use some logic, sense, and rational thought. Don't attack me guys. My comments and recommendations were meant to be helpful to kbarshay who is looking for advice. And, it is an opinion only. I don't see that either of you have posted any useful, helpful advice? And since you didn't post your top 100 pizza places or an alternative, but only attacked the messenger. I mentioned it because it, because, again, my opinion, it is a lot better than the run of the mill, pizza factories run by huge business concerns. Perhaps the two times we've eaten there, have been sheer luck. But again, why are you seemingly so angry - disagree, but don't attack me. And razzledazzle, you offer no alternative, nor do you offer any other suggestions? I think your critique is "insane." So, can we have a little more civility - I'm just trying to help someone out - I don't care if you agree with me, but I do care about the personal attacks - if you don't like it state why, what your issue is, and offer an alternative.
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 07:57 PM

uh oh...
Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 04:18 PM

I like Mary's Pizza Shack too. And I also like their spaghetti. My husband and I love great food and eat lots of it when we visit Napa/Sonoma (French Laundry was our ultimate favorite meal of all time). But if you want something good, simple and not expensive, then Mary's may just be the place. Sometimes you just need something familiar and good and if you're in the area and in the mood for some pasta and/or pizza, I'd gladly recommend Mary's.