California travel with teens in Winter

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are considering a trip with our 16 and 18 year old children to California for a week in late December. Does anyone have a recommendation (considering weather, crowds and what's open at holiday time) whether we should go to L.A. or San Francisco?
Old Oct 24th, 2010, 05:08 PM

How about San Diego? Our weather is generally mild (not sure where you are coming from) in the low 70's. We generally don't have much rain either.
Old Oct 24th, 2010, 05:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You really have to give us some idea of what interests the teenagers and adults. You don't even say what gender the kids are.
Old Oct 24th, 2010, 06:35 PM

I would choose San Francisco in any season over LA under almost any circumstance. In December, the weather is unpredictable in either place, but generally LA has a better chance of no rain. I can't think of what would be closed in either place with the exception of possible closures due to Christmas Day and New Years Day holidays.

One thing I can say positive about LA (area) is Disneyland is sort of over-the-top decorated at Christmas.
Old Oct 24th, 2010, 09:48 PM

Still wondering about everyone's interests....

FYI, there are pro hockey and basketball games just about every day from 12/21 through the first week of January, including Christmas Day and New Year's Day. If you're here over New Year's, think Rose Parade and/or Rose Bowl game.

After you finalize your dates, you can check for events/concerts at venues like Club Nokia, Disney Hall, Wiltern Theater, Gibson Amphitheater, Pantages Theater, Ahmanson Theater, Geffen Playhouse, etc., and exhibits at LACMA, Norton Simon Museum, Huntington Library, Getty Center, Getty Villa, etc.
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 08:12 AM

We are going to San Diego in late December. My teenagers are excited to go biking, kayaking, and to take a surfing lesson. We also plan to go to the zoo and maybe to Seaworld. I'm sure your kids could find things they enjoy there-- we're just having trouble narrowing it down!!
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 10:46 AM

And of course, if you like the snow, then there are plenty of additional choices in the mountains.
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 08:47 AM

It's odd that San Diego got in the mix, since the question was basically SF or LA. LA has been the winter getaway for people from the colder areas of the country for many years, long before Disneyland and the other theme parks. And the reasons are the mild climate and the myriad things to do, no matter what your tastes. So my recommendation is LA. Here's a good overview of what you can do here.

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/l...city-guide.htm
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 03:06 PM

I'm in between on the coast. Thinking back on winter weather reports, SF seemed to get a lot of winter rain some years. This year feels like it's going to be a doozy. Had one week of summer (in Autumn, our summer)and rains have already started. Go south!

SD is only a couple hours south of LA so makes sense if you have a week. I lived in OC and SD and there's nothing like surfing and volleyball on the beach in winter. No matter the gender, they will find 'something' of interest!

Beaches never close,not too crowded that time of year, and they will forever talk about how they went swimming in Dec!

You may get bored a lot faster then your 16 & 18 year old! But I don't think you will.
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 10:42 PM

Ocean swimming in December? Better have a wetsuit!
Old Oct 28th, 2010, 05:45 AM

No question, LA. Why? December is the rainy season in SF.
Old Oct 28th, 2010, 09:51 AM

No one went ocean swimming in CA before Neoprene! Geesh, someone forgot to tell me! We grew up surfing(no wetsuits)in Pismo Beach and yes it was COLD! What did we care!?

Wetsuits are more for surfing not getting wet.

The warmest summertime ocean temp in Avila Beach, (warmest beach near where I live) is 1 degree off the coldest winter ocean temp in SD. Many children are in and out of the water here mainly due to the warmth of the beach not the water. Cold beach & wind, no water. Warm beach, dunk time.

SD has a lot of days in the 70's in wintertime. A lot has to do with air temps, wind, activity, sunning, and mostly just getting wet to cool off, not swimming. Also something to go back and tell the kids in Minnesota.

I hear all the time "CA water is too cold to swim in". Swim at the hotel! Nothing fun there.

http://www.beachcalifornia.com/beach...mperature.html
Old Oct 28th, 2010, 10:01 PM

I can go swimming in the lakes around Austin right now and they are still 76 degrees and it's almost November. My son has a pool party in mid November. The water temp is probably going to be at least 72 (unheated) even by then.

I don't need the novelty of going into cold water in the winter. I can go into mild water 9 months of the year. I just don't get it. By winter I'm actually finally ready to be done with sunbathing and swimming and it's kinda nice to wear a sweater or two and turn on the heat now and then.

I don't know, I guess I don't see the attraction of what bear900 is saying. I guess if I lived in a polar climate maybe I would need to say I went swimming in December. Me I'm fine saying I get to go swimming in November in Austin on the warm days, and guess what? The water is fine.

I was swimming at Lake Travis in mid November once when the temperature was still in the mid 80's (air) and the water was at least 70.

The water temperature in S. California doesn't even get to 70 in the heat of summer...

Don't get me wrong, California has nice weather and beaches, but winter time swimming is not high on most people's lists in California.