Search

California, here we come!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
California, here we come!

Here we go again.

My wife and I (60+) are planning a 2 week trip to California and Las Vegas for late next May and early June,

Here is our temporary itinerary and schedule:

Fly from Montreal to San Francisco
Pick-up a rental car
Drive to Yountville / Napa

Yountville / Napa – 2 nights

San Francisco – 4 nights
One full day is devoted for touring the Monterey Peninsula

San Simeon – 2 nights

Los Angeles – 3 nights

San Diego – 2 nights
Drop off the car and fly to Las Vegas

Las Vegas – 3 nights

Fly home to Montreal

Any comments about what to see, to do and places to stay would be greatly appreciated.

jet29
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 03:48 PM

In Yountville we've stayed at the Vintage Inn and liked it a great deal--it feels a bit like the French countryside. A number of good restaurants are within walking distance, and wineries abound in the vicinity.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 05:20 PM

Are you talking about exploring Monterey peninsula from San Francisco and then returning to SF that night? I'd sure opt to stay in Carmel that night, rather than returning to SF and repeating the drive south.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 08:02 PM

Hello jet29, just read your itinerary as was going to post a comment but then saw that Patrick already did. So will second his thought. If you go to Monterey don't bother driving back to SF to just go back down south again. Carmel is beautiful. Try not to backtrack. Welcome to California and have a beautiful trip.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 09:00 PM

In San Simeon, I'm assuming you're going to see Hearst Castle. It's beautiful. I've seen it many times, I've stayed in San Simeon once, but it's much nicer to stay in Cambria, which is about 15-20 minutes away from the Castle. I've stayed at 'Cambria Pines Lodge', which usually has specials so do a search for their website. They have sister properties along the coast in Cambria too at 'moonstone beach'. I've also rented a house (very reasonable @ 150 per nite) through cambriavacationrentals.com

In L.A., I like the Grove area, and since I live in the area, I've never stayed in the hotel, but it gets recommended a lot, "The Farmers Daugher" motel. You can check out reviews on tripadvisor.com
Happy Travels!
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 09:54 PM

Your itinerary sounds very good. The Fodorites are correct in telling you not to go back to San Francisco after Monterey. You will be driving from SF to Monterey/Carmel on your way to San Simeon anyway. How about staying one night in the Monterey area, one night in Cambria, and one night in Santa Barbara? Or is that too many one nighters? Santa Barbara is a lovely little city. I know you will have a wonderful vacation!
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

From past experience we have tried to avoid "one-night-stands" and prefer to stay a minimum of two nights at each stop. However, based on your suggestions we will consider staying one night in the Monterrey peninsula rather than driving back to San Francisco.

BTW - any suggestions about nice places to stay in southern San Francisco would be welcome and helpful.

Travisblue
Your suggestion, regarding Cambria, is definitely worth considering. Thanks!
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 07:02 AM
BAK

Build a theme into your trip.

Assuming you are from Montreal (or nearby) you might pick a food theme; since you come from the land of bagels and smoked meat, check out the delis of LA and the movie business.

You're already on target regarding wine; Montreal has grewat wine lists from France, but no grapes. Try Naspa's matches for your favorities at home.

If you have a Costco card, you need to compare.

Or build a musical theme into your trip. Yesterday I was in a Chapters store where California Draming was on the sound system; a while ago I was in Johnny Rockets on Melrose in SF when someone put this on the jukebox, and evryone in the restaurant but me started singing along. At your age, you should be ble to rmember a lot of California songs, so go look for the places they came from. Where is Deadman's Curve, anyway? And what's at 77 Sunset Strip today? What beach did Surfer Girl actually hang out at?

BAK
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 09:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Bak, I hung out at Zuma mostly in Malibu, thanks for asking

And Deadman's curve is on Sunset, just east of Beverly Glen, but it was repaved and regraded -- still a fun curve though.

I agree with Patrick and the others on not backtracking. Once you get to the Monterey/Carmel area, you'll be glad you brought your luggage. There are many dog friendly inns in Carmel, so if you are allergic or otherwise don't like dogs, make sure you find a place that is not pet friendly. If you are ok with them, the Cypress Inn is really nice.

Los Angeles: The Farmer's Daughter is good and reasonably priced and located between Santa Monica and Downtown. Further West is the Hilton in Beverly Hills or the Hyatt in Century City.

San Diego is huge, so I guess suggestions on hotels depends on what area you're planning on spending most of your time in. We were there a month ago and stayed in the Pacific Beach area, but our plans were to go to the beach and to Seaworld, so it made sense for us.

In all, sounds like a lovely trip. I just wish my home town (L.A.) was as beautiful as yours!
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 01:10 PM

You said,

>>BTW - any suggestions about nice places to stay in southern San Francisco would be welcome and helpful.<<

Do you mean "South San Francisco"? Which is a different city. I would have imagined that you would want to be in the center of the city for sightseeing purposes. I like to stay in the Union Square area, which is near the theatre district and has upscale shops. Some like the Fisherman's Wharf area, but it is very touristy. www.hotelres.com is a site which specializes in San Francisco and Silicon Valley accommodations, at good rates, and allows you to specify an area. Unlike some of these sites, you do not pay up front and if you need to cancel you deal with the hotel directly..you also pay them when you check out.

You can search by area of the city.

Depending upon you budget I can suggest The Donatello, The Cartwright, The King George, The Andrews. There is also a Hilton and a Nikko and the St. Francis, and a Crowne Plaza for more upscale hotels in the Union Square area
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 08:10 AM

I was curious about the request for lodging in southern SF as well. I would really recommend being in SF proper to make the most of the experience and the time you have.

If overnight parking costs in SF proper are the reason for wanting to stay south of the city, you will likely spend almost as much on day parking driving you car into SF everyday or about half the cost of the overnight parking on public transportation costs getting into SF.

There are a couple things you can do though.

One would be to alter your itinerary a bit so that your first days are in SF where you don't need a car (take BART into SF, use public transportation to get around) then rent a car in SF on the day you leave for Napa. After a couple days in Napa, you can then head down to Monterey. This way you will also save some taxes on the rental car by not renting it at the airport.

Another thing you could do is rent a car at the airport to go to Napa, turn it back in once you get to SF - at an office in SF itself rather than going all the way back to the airport - and then rent another car when you leave SF.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 09:04 AM

Dear jet29,

Hello! Ive had some wonderful experiences in California and I truly hope my feedback can help you plan a memorable trip!!

Los Angeles
PLACES TO STAY: Stayed at Loews Santa Monica (wasnt a far drive from LAX). Awesome room, very nice, very sleek-I would stay there again for sure. The hotel is right near the famous Santa Monica Pier.

Monterey
PLACES TO STAY: Stayed at the Spindrift Inn-my favorite hotel Ive stayed at anywhere so far in my life!! Sigh...sooooo romantic!! I would totally stay here again!

THINGS TO DO: I think the 17 mile drive was very cool and would absolutely recommend it!

San Diego: Stayed at the Coronado-I didnt think our suite was worth the money but the hotel itself and the grounds are beautiful! You could stay somewhere else and just go visit the hotel. I wouldnt stay here again.

San Francisco:
PLACES TO STAY: Stayed at the Fairmont in the Tower. The views of the city from the rooms in the Tower are truly breathtaking. I would stay here again for sure!

PLACES TO EAT: I loved Greens-its a vegetarian restaurant on the water with huge floor to ceiling windows. Even meat-eaters will like the food.

Im sure whatever you choose will be perfect for you! Have a safe and exciting trip!!! Sincerely, Carrie in PA
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 09:39 PM
fredman

My standard reply to anyone visiting anywhere - especially california - for any length of time:
Rent car, then find a place to buy the cheapest cooler you can buy, then buy a case of whatever it is you drink - bottled water is good.
A single bottle of water is anywhere from $1.50 to $2.65, but you can get an entire case of it for $5.00 at most places (maybe $6 now with the hurricane).
I'm talking a $3 or $5 styrofoam cheapie from wal-mart or most drug stores.

Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your comments and recommendations, which are very much appreciated.

Our plan to stay in the southern part of San Francisco, was to give us a leg up on the next part of our trip. There is no other reason in particular.

Car rental: the idea of renting a car for a very short term is not appealing to us as tourists, since it involves wasting touring time dropping and picking up cars at agencies. In the long term it's also cheaper to rent by the week, than on a daily basis. We agree with some of your comments that it's a good idea to use public transportation in larger cities, such as, SF and LA. We will definitely be using it.

Memorial Day Weekend:

Our early planning involves spending the Memorial Day weekend in SF, Monterey Peninsula and San Simeon/Cambria. What can we expect in the way of extra traffic, busier tourist period and more expensive hotel accomodation? BTW - what is open and closed in Calif. on that weekend? Is Sunday a regular shopping day for Californians?

Please keep your suggestions and comments coming!

Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 07:53 PM

Sounds like others have given good advice.
I wanted to make one comment about rental cars. I've used Budget for one way trips because they've never charged me a drop off fee.
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 07:04 AM

Public transportation in SF great.

Public transportation in LA is practically non-existent... you will definately need a car in Los Angeles.

Please don't assume that all big cities here have the same amenities because you will be so disappointed! Do a search about this topic and you'll be suprised by the amount of advice you get!

SF-no car. LA-car is a must. SF-no car-LA-car is a must. Make this your mantra!

Old Oct 26th, 2005, 09:15 AM

Here's a good thread: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34672872
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 10:22 AM

Sorry, wrong link was posted. Here's the correct one: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34678631
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 09:32 AM

If you have an idea what sights you wish to see in LA, check the website "mta.net" for trip planning.

For example, line #14 runs from your proposed hotel to Beverly Hills, and to the Metro Red Line Station. The Red Line connects Downtown Los Angeles and Universal Studios. There is a DASH shuttle that connects almost all Downtown sites of interest.

Furthermore, you can actually walk to a number of sites from your hotel, if that suits you.

Those who claim you cannot tour LA without a car are probably interested in travel along the coast or between suburbs, which is less practical.
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 08:19 PM

You may want to stay in SF first, since you won't want a car in the city. Then you can rent a car and drive to Napa. It will be back tracking to go Monterey, but you won't be paying for a rental car and 2 nights parking in the city.

SF: Don't stay in South San Franicsco. You really should stay IN the city... prefereably near union square, although there are other nice areas. we like to stay at the W (cool, hip). Also have enjoyed the St. Francis (formal, fancy) and the Palace. Our favorite restaurants to splurge at: Boulevard, Aqua. Favorite book store: City Lights. Great breakfast at the Buena Vista. Walk. walk. Walk.....

Napa: Don't know where you're staying, but lunch on the terrace at the Auberge d'Soleil is heavenly. Had a great dinner at Tra Vigne. Nice lunch at Mustards.

Monterey: Definitely recommend the 16-mile drive (or however many miles it is..). It's very memorable and you'll drive by some of the most gorgeous golf courses in the world.

LA: I recommend staying in Santa monica. Don't know what your budget is. If you don't have one, stay at Shutters. The Getty is a wonderful place to visit and have lunch. Don't miss the garden.

San Diego: Haven't stayed there in years. Usually stay in La Jolla or Del Mar. Much smaller, more charming beach towns. San Diego is a much bigger city.

re: shopping. Most places are open on Sundays, but usually 11 or 12 to 5 or 6.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -