Search

California Coast

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 1998, 07:50 AM
Russ Frailey

California Coast

This summer we are thinking about taking our 2 teenage kids on a trip to California. Most likely we will be driving from San Francisco to LA. We are looking for ideas for what to see and do along this route. We will probably spend a coulple of days in both SF and LA. Are there any interesting side trips?

Old Mar 9th, 1998, 09:04 AM
kat

Enroute to LA from San Francisco there are dozens of worthy places to see. Here are just a few (my favorites): 1. Monterey/Pacific Grove (the aquarium in Monterey is not to be missed! and your teens will love it). 2. Rent bicycles and bike around the walkway bordering the bay . . . you'll see otters, seals, shorebirds, interesting people and lovely views. 3.) Stop at the park at Point Lobos and walk the trails on the coast . . . this is very likely one of the most gorgeous places on earth). 4.) Eat lunch at the Rio Grill at the crossroads just down the road from Carmel. 5.) Big Sur is great! If you can, try to overnight here. The views and hikes are splendid! Lunch or Dine at Ventana Inn; have lunch or a snack at Nepenthe (where your teens will enjoy the hippie-retro ambience). 6.) San Simeon is amazing. 7. Santa Barbara is gorgeous, a lovely town. In LA, don't miss the new Getty Center, one of the five best museums in the world and so much FUN! A whole-body experience!

Old Mar 12th, 1998, 10:39 PM
Roxanne Nelson

I agree with the above message. I've driven the route many times. I would advise against driving on a weekend, if you can help it. The road is very narrow and traffic backs up.

Old Mar 21st, 1998, 04:40 AM
Pat

The drive from San Francisco to LA is beautiful. Here are several tips: Time your drive to San Simeon (half-way point) so that you arrive before dark. You don't want to be on that narrow road after the sun goes down. It happened to us once but never again, I assure you. Also, hotel reservations are a must since this is a big stopover point. If larger chain hotels are booked, get a copy of the Mobile Travel Guide (a must for road trips) from the library and pick out a smaller one.

Old Mar 21st, 1998, 07:56 AM
jack

Kat did an excellant jod of summarizing. But definately have lunch at the Nepenthe instead of the Crossroads shopping mall. The views are spectacular!

Old May 10th, 1998, 10:29 AM
David

You had better check and make sure the HWY1 coastal road is open before you travel here and count on driving that route. It's currently closed because of rock slides caused by all the rain we've had,and has been closed several times for weeks at a time over the last year. However, you can still get almost everywere by using HWY101 but you will miss the beautiful coast drive. You might want to stop at the little town of Solvang on your way to Santa Barbara which is a Danish Village In the Santa Ynez valley that is very interesting. Also stopping at any one of the Old Missions might be of interest.

Old May 10th, 1998, 12:13 PM
Paul RAbe

For the record, by going to www.dot.ca.gov/hg/roadinfo/statemap.htm, you can find that traffic on Hiway One will be delayed, but not closed. This info is direct from the California DOT and is literally up to the minute. If you are going from L.A. to San Francisco, you MUST travel Hiway One instead of 101.

Old May 12th, 1998, 10:07 AM
kam

We were in Carmel two weeks ago and Hwy 1 was definitely closed and we were told by hotel personel and shop owners that there was no forseeable date when it would reopen. It is true that there is limited access, BUT ONLY TO LOCAL RESIDENTS AT CERTAIN HOURS!!! You need to call the CA Hwy Patrol just before your trip to confirm. If Hwy 1 is not open, simply go back over to 101 and yes, you will miss Big Sur, but you can have some of the best Mexican food imaginable in Salinas. You then cut back over the mountains to Cambria (a great little town) and drive a short distance north to San Simeon and the Hearst Castle. From Hearst Castle you can go a short way north to Raggedy Point and get some idea of what Big Sur would have been like. Look on the beach to see if the elephant seals are in with their babies. It's possible to walk around with them. Moro Bay is nice, Santa Maria and Santa Inez, Solvang is too touristy for me, and then you come to wonderful Santa Barbara, a place to stop for sure. The whole drive needs about a week--you'll love it.

Old May 12th, 1998, 10:09 AM
kam

We were in Carmel two weeks ago and Hwy 1 was definitely closed and we were told by hotel personel and shop owners that there was no forseeable date when it would reopen. It is true that there is limited access, BUT ONLY TO LOCAL RESIDENTS AT CERTAIN HOURS!!! You need to call the CA Hwy Patrol just before your trip to confirm. If Hwy 1 is not open, simply go back over to 101 and yes, you will miss Big Sur, but you can have some of the best Mexican food imaginable in Salinas. You then cut back over the mountains to Cambria (a great little town) and drive a short distance north to San Simeon and the Hearst Castle. From Hearst Castle you can go a short way north to Raggedy Point and get some idea of what Big Sur would have been like. Look on the beach to see if the elephant seals are in with their babies. It's possible to walk around with them. Moro Bay is nice, Santa Maria and Santa Inez, Solvang is too touristy for me, and then you come to wonderful Santa Barbara, a place to stop for sure. The whole drive needs about a week--you'll love it.

Old May 14th, 1998, 08:07 AM
Polly

Route 154 from Santa Barbara back to Route 101 is also beautiful. I would not avoid it even if the coast highway is clear in this area. If you get as far north on the coast highway as San Luis Obispo, stay overnight at the Madonna Inn. (No connection with the singer.) It has theme rooms...spring for the most expensive and most outlandish. Your family will talk about it for years. In LA be sure to go to the Gene Autry Western Heritage Museum...sounds tackey, but it is of Smithsonian quality! A first class institution!

Old May 14th, 1998, 10:25 AM
Gomes

need guidance to the best and inexpensive way to see the rocky mountains in Canada. Any inexpensive accommodations and airfares? Please advise how to go about it. thanks.

Old May 14th, 1998, 10:28 AM
kam

I certainly ditto Polly in her recommendation about the Madonna Inn--it's a trip! (we stayed in a rather tame "Rose Room" but later talked with a couple who stayed in one of the "Cave" rooms. You have to read the literature from the hotel to understand! The mission at SLOis also quite pretty. Another town worth consideration is Ojai with all the New Wave spirtual stuff--it was the site for the filming of Lost Horizons many many years ago. Quaint little town with lots of walking trails and good Mexican. Stay at the Ojai Valley Country Club, site of some senior tournaments and a lovely resort.