Search

california/arizona trip

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
california/arizona trip

Hi,

My husband and I (late 40's) are planning a 2-wk trip to California/Az in early September. We land in San Francisco and depart from Phoenix. So far, we only booked our hotel in Francisco (King George) for 6 nites. We pretty much have our itinerary in San Francisco figured out , tours to Nappa, Alcatraz etc...). We then want to drive down the coast and visit such cities as Monterey, Carmel, Santa Barbara and on to L.A., Palm Springs/Johua Tree and finally Scottsdale,Sodona/Phoenix. A few people have suggested San Diego instead of Palm Springs. I'm thinking we won't have enough time. Should we cut down on San Francisco and add on San Diego? Is 1 nite in L.A. enough? We don't mind fast paced vacations, but appreciate some slow paced as well. All your suggestions would be a great help.
Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 08:41 AM

6 nites is great in San Francisco, but you could also do well with less. I'd probably cut it to 4 full days in San Francisco and environs (depending on what time you arrive, that could mean 4 nites or 5 nites). Take at least 2-3 days to drive down the coast. 2 nites in LA. 4 nights in Scottsdale/Phoenix/Sedona. This would exclude both Palm Springs (too hot anyway in early September) and San Diego.

Alternative: 4 nites SF, 2 nites coast, 2 night LA, 2 nites San Diego, 4 nites Phoenix etc (which will also still be super-hot)

How many nights/days do you actually have?
Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

we arrive in SF Sept 3rd, 1:00pm, depart Phoenix early morning on Sept 17
Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 10:09 AM

I like sf7307's suggestions except that it does include a 355-mile drive from San Diego to Phoenix. How about SF (4), Coast (2), LA (2), Palm Desert (1), Sedona (1), and Phoenix (4).

While in Phoenix, I suggest you spend one day exploring the Tuscon area which has at least three really great things to do: The drive up Mt. Lemmon, a hike or tram tour in Sabino Canyon, and the Desert Museum (most of which is outdoors).

http://www.takemytrip.com/desert/54a.htm

http://www.sabinocanyon.com/

http://www.desertmuseum.org/

HTTY
Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 10:14 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
It is still going to be very hot and uncomfortable in Arizona in September. Spend more of your Arizona time in Sedona and return in the winter to visit Phoenix, Scottsdale and Tucson.
Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 10:54 AM

I stayed for 4 nights in SF and it was sufficient. Don't know why you want to go to Phoenix! Not a very attractive city, I lived there once for 6 months and did not find anything there to change my mind, Tucson is so much better, the Desert Museum is wonderful. You should make sure you have plenty of time to explore the Coastal towns on the way down the coast road. Monteray is wonderful, more peaceful than Santa Barbara. San Diego is a wonderful city and worth the journey. Try not to over plan anything so you can be flexible, and enjoy the adventure.
Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 11:59 AM

I wouldn't spend 4 days in Phoenix either -- what do you plan to do while there? It's too hot to sit out in the sun. I'd also skip Palm Desert unless there's a particular reason to go (like breaking up the drive, although it's not so long that you really need to do that).
Old Jul 27th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

thanks for your replies, we pretty much figured out our itinerary and booked our hotels. One last question...since we'll be driving to Scottsdale, is it better (safer) to drive from San Diego on rte 8 or from L.A. on rte 10?
Old Jul 27th, 2011, 08:56 PM

Whichever route you take, it's safer to start the 6-7 hour drive very early in the morning to avoid the heat of the day. Arrival around noon would be good.

Take plenty of water and sunscreen. Make sure the car, especially the tires, are in tip top shape.
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

we will certainly do that...tks

Question: We'll be stoppin in Santa Barbara for one nite on our way from San Francisco to San Diego. Are we ok to drive through with minimal pit stops such as Santa Cruz, Monterey, Big Sur before reaching Santa Barbara or is it too long of a drive and therefore consider an overnite in Monterey/Carmel?
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 05:50 AM

classic.mapquest.com directions distances are VAST pare back

For me pare bak SF a bit if you can mozy on down the coast to

carmelcalifornia.com ventanainn.com Hearst Castle Santa Barbara

www.lasightseeing.net hang a left on www.historic66.com route

to Grand Canyon stay at El Tovar there if you can then down

the Mogollon Rim to visitsedona.com finish in PHX Sky Harbor

Not enough time for SD sadly booking.com otel.com

betterbidding.com for great hotel deals along your way...

Have fun,
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 06:40 AM

star: Have you been to Big Sur? If not, then an overnight in Monterey/Carmel would be advisable. You need time to enjoy one of the most scenic drives in the world.
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 08:35 AM

One last question...since we'll be driving to Scottsdale, is it better (safer) to drive from San Diego on rte 8 or from L.A. on rte 10?

A lot less traffic on I-8 ... if I had a choice that's what I'd pick.

A few people have suggested San Diego instead of Palm Springs.

In early Sept San Diego temperatures will be pleasant while Palm Springs will be hotter than hell (though 5 degrees cooler than Phoenix) 8-)
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 10:40 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"Are we ok to drive through with minimal pit stops such as Santa Cruz, Monterey, Big Sur before reaching Santa Barbara or is it too long of a drive and therefore consider an overnite in Monterey/Carmel?"

You almost have to stop over -- if you stick to the coast/Hwy 1 all the way it easily takes eight hours from SF to Santa Barbara w/o any stops at all.

W/ stops in Santa Cruz (minimum of an hour w/ getting down to the boardwalk, parking and finding your way back out of town) an hour in Monterey, an hour in Carmel, a few stops in Big Sur (mandatory ) and other great places enroute -- even taking 2 days is pushing things a bit.
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Uma

Some Phoenix/Scottsdale things to see: Musical Instrument Museum, Heard Museum, Taliesen West, Desert Botanical Garden.
Agree to give more time to Sedona and less to Phoenix.
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 12:05 PM

Good choice to visit San Diego and not Palm Springs. Route I-8 sounds good. if you have time visit the San Diego Zoo, it is amazing. I had never seen hippos before, and you get to see them up close through the glass pool as they swim underwater. When we were there two newly born pandas had just been introduced to the public.
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 04:42 PM

The San Diego Zoo apparently has a baby hippo now.
Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

thanks to all...we will definetely take in all your suggestions