Calif. central coast on Chrismas day

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2004, 02:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're flying into Oakland from East Coast on xmas eve with our teenage sons to begin a week-long trip down the coast, ending up at family's in LA on the 30th. Any suggestions for where to spend the first night and how to spend Christmas Day, given that virtually everything is closed? Perhaps someplace we can explore on foot? We've already seen the major sites in SF. We dont celebrate Christmas, so we don't need to do anything holiday-related, per se. Also, we'll be arriving at 9:30 pm (12:30 am east coast), and will not want to drive very far that night after getting luggage, car, etc.

I know that movies are always an option, just seems such a shame to waste precious time away sitting in a theater!

I've already searched these boards and have gotten lots of great advice for where to stop along the way, including some "plan B" options in case storms force us off the coastal roads. Thanks!
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 05:41 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Frankly I would save some hassle and time (and rental car money) and just find a hotel with shuttle service from the airport the first night. Pick up the car the next morning then head out.

We drove on Christmas day from SFO to LA one year (took 101) and found that nearly all the restaurants etc. were closed, except for (a surprisingly few) fast food joints. Of course most of the nicer places were open from 3 or so on, for fancier dinners than we wanted to have. I don't know what itinerary or route you've planned, or if you're planning any time in the Bay Area period, but some obvious suggestions for the first day would be Carmel or Monterey. Or, if you're staying around the SF area, how about a drive out into the Sacramento River delta - some amazing old towns and wonderful drives along the levees - an unusual and very historic part of California that few tourists visit.

Of course the old idea of eating Chinese and going to the movies (our tradition anyway) has no better venue than SF. Walk along the beach or through GG park, over to Chinatown (or any arbitrary neighborhood) then escape the shopping mobs the next day by heading out of town.
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 11:44 AM
ltt

i agree with above. just get a hotel in oakland for the first night, pick up the car early the next day and enjoy the drive down to the monterey area. it's mostly scenic stuff you want between the two so nothing needs to be open. just pack a picnic so you have food along the way. they'll be some hotel restaurants open on christmas day in monterey.
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 11:55 AM

Good suggestion for the Delta, Gardyloo. It is wonderful to drive through there and explore the little towns. We go from the Bay Area up to Sac fairly frequently and if we have the time, I prefer to do through the Delta. Last year we were going up to Sac on Christmas Eve and the holiday traffic was a real bear - it was raining, people were in a hurry, we passed several accidents, it was a mess. We decided to head out to Antioch and go up through the delta and it was absolutely wonderful. Once we crossed the toll bridge, we were the only car on the road for miles at a time and even in the rain, the views were very nice. Very relaxing drive.
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 01:47 PM
ltt

i took a driving trip on christmas day from san diego one year. i left really early (around 7 i think) and the freeways were almost empty. it was very strange but i sure was happy.
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 02:30 PM
E

One of my favorite Christmas Days ever was spent, in part, walking up and down the beach in Carmel, just before sunset--lovely! We also tidepooled earlier in the day at Asilomar. I agree that as long as you lay in some food or call ahead to find a restaurant that's open, you can have a great day checking out all the scenic beauty. Enjoy!