Cahokia Holiday Inn-Bad Area?

Jun 12th, 2006, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Cahokia Holiday Inn-Bad Area?

We're planning a June trip to St. Louis. We're thinking of staying at the Holiday Inn Express on Pontiac in Cahokia Ill. It is on the East side of the river somewhat southeast of downtown. It doesn't look like there is much around the hotel. Does anyone know what this area is like?
Thanks in advance!!!
Jun 12th, 2006, 06:06 PM

is there a reason why you want to stay in Cahokia? If not, drive a little further east to Belleville - at least you'll be near malls, restaurants or go the other direction and stay in St. Louis.
Jun 13th, 2006, 09:05 AM

I would not stay in that area. Parts of that area are very industrial - oil refineries, etc.
Parts of it have "adult" night clubs...
There are some very sketchy areas around there that I would not personally deisre to drive through at night.

I am not familiar with this the exact location of the Hotel, but you will not get the flavor of STL by staying here.
There are reasonably priced hotels in the STL area. Have you considered B&B's?
Post back if you want any suggestions of what to do while in STL...
Jun 13th, 2006, 09:21 AM

If you are planning a trip to St. Louis why are you staying in Ill? Yes, it is only across the river but like previously mentioned, there is not much to do there. There are dozens of choices for things in the MO. side of the river. Unless you want to see the Cahokia Mounds I would stay elsewhere.
Jun 13th, 2006, 10:14 AM

The mounds are between East St. Louis a depressed and for the most part crime ridden area and Belleville - quintessential suburbia. If the ONLY reason you are going to the area is to see the mounds I'd stay at a chain motel in Belleville and drive - maybe 10-15 minutes at the most. If you are into seeing some of St. Louis - art museum, City Museum, arch, brewery tours etc I'd stay in the city and drive out - maybe 20 minutes depending where you stay OR still stay in Belleville and take the light rail/ metro into town.
Jun 13th, 2006, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help. I had originally chosen the hotel because of it's reasonable rate. I had some apprehension when I began to look into nearby restaurants. Thanks to your advice, we changed our reservation to the Marriott Courtyard downtown. Now how about restaurant recommendations? I see that Harry's is close to the Marriott, but so many people have made reference to the great Italian restaurants in St. Louis. Is there an Italian choice that is known for CONSISTENLY good food?
Jun 13th, 2006, 01:51 PM

Harry's is very good!!! They have great live bands often as well on the patio.

"The Hill" located off Kingshighway - south STL is known for great Italian food.
Some suggestions:
Cunnetto's - get there early there is always a wait.
Zia's
Charlie Gito's
All of these are consisitantly good IMO.

The SOulard area - near the brewery has great restaurants and known for jazz clubs too. some idesas:

Niche - great!
Nortons - fabulous food and patio
Sidney Street Cafe -always good!
Frasers Traveling Brown Bag

When are you going?

Also see: www.stltoday.com

Jun 13th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the suggestions!! It's so good to have choices. I'm thinking it wouldn't be too bad to drive to "the hill". We'll be there the end of June. The St. Louis visit is a little detour on our way home to Minnesota from Memphis. The main purpose is to visit the arch and the brewery.
Jun 13th, 2006, 05:46 PM

one of the neatest museums in town is the very unusual City Museum. I've gone there with 8 yr olds, teens and 75 yr olds and everyone has been fascinated.
Jun 13th, 2006, 09:24 PM

Yeah... definitely look somewhere besides Cahokia. It's just as people describe. And Cahokia Mounds isn't in or even all that close to the town of Cahokia. The Mounds are north east of East St. Louis, but the town is due south of it.

I'll second the City Museum and also plug the great Missouri Botantical Gardens, which is just up shaw Avenue from the Hill. Favazza's is my fav restaurant there.

Have fun in STL (my hometown) and Memphis (where we live now). We must have left a trail of breadcrumbs!