Cabins in Oregon Mountain

Old Aug 16th, 2020, 11:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Cabins in Oregon Mountain

Any suggestions? We'd like to find 2 inexpensive but clean cabins somewhere in any of the the mountains of Oregon or SW Washington for a few days sometime in early to mid September (flexible timing).. High end of budget would be $150/night each couple, but hopefully much lower. Would want kitchen facilities and a bathroom in each. We might consider sharing a 2 bedroom place, but for social distancing lean toward 2 separate cabins.

We're two long-time best friend couples in the covid high risk profile (in our mid-late 70's), one from Seattle the other from Bend. We'd like to meet for a few days while social distancing,. We'd want to spend most of our time out of doors easy hiking or walking or biking or just sitting and reminiscing. Normally we'd be meeting to camp (we've camped in most Oregon mountain ranges numerous times), but are concerned about cleanliness and sharing campground toilets nowadays.
Old Aug 17th, 2020, 05:32 AM
mms

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few thoughts. $150 per night is extremely low for a cabin even in the middle of nowhere in either OR or WA. Be mindful that Covid hotspots around here are tending to be further out, such as the Okanogan here in WA and then Umatilla and Malhour counties in OR (those are both back on stay at home orders). Here in WA, many people head over to Winthrop, but honestly you couldn't pay me to head there right now with the numbers. We were there a month ago (driving through) and even then saw very few people complying with the mask mandate. Also, the hiking trails in both states have been mobbed and are a mess right now. We do a lot of this and have had to really adjust where we go. Since you camp, why not try backpacking? No worries about sharing toilets etc that way. Or what about the Steen's? We just spent a week backpacking there. Very few people, several designated campgrounds. Or there is the Frenchglen Hotel on the edge of it. You could each get your own room, which does fall within your budget, and they are being very careful with how they are handling Covid. The only problem with that is the drive from WA which you would want to break up. Bring your camping equipment and you are good, but you really don't want to be staying in hotels along the way. Honestly, from what you are asking I cannot think of another place that would fit the bill, sorry. If you really want to get together, why not go to one of your homes and just distance there?
Old Aug 17th, 2020, 07:58 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"High end of budget would be $150/night each couple, but hopefully much lower"

$150 is awfully low but you want it even much lower. And you want to find two of these unicorns I personally would feel much safer camping than in cottages/cabins renting for around $100-ish. Rentals would have to be pretty basic and I'd worry about deep cleaning protocols etc . . .

"If you really want to get together, why not go to one of your homes and just distance there?"

I was thinking the same thing - Bend would be a great place to meet up.
Old Aug 17th, 2020, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Our budget is not totally totally constrained to $150/cabin for 2, or $300/cabin for 4. I just wanted to give you a feel ...eg, we're not looking for a place like Sunriver or Black Butte ranch.. We're looking for something more rustic and less gentrified... thinking something like Camp Sherman, Suttle Lake, Paulina Lake, or even more remote..

Given the abysmal state of credible information re covid (even for a person like me who used to deal with bench science labs) we're guessing that the largest and most difficult concern is airborn transmission . So we're mostly concerned with some place where we can avoid shared air: be it in hallways, central HVAC systems, etc. We're not too interested in the covid rate of the area *if* its possible to avoid interacting with others in the area.. eg., we won't be using restaurants or going into shops (we'll be bringing out food from home). We figure we can do a pretty thorough clean of surfaces when we arrive.

If we were still in our 60's or early 70's a backpacking trip would be the obvious solution, but in our late 70's it's less enticing. Unfortunately we both live in condo's, so getting together there would likely leave one of us staying in a motel sharing air. Bend is a wonderful place if interested in doing normal stuff around town - so is Seattle - but we're looking to get out in the mountains (or maybe the coast?). This spring we had to forego our annual spring skiing trip to Bend and its usual eating and shopping and running into friends in the bar.

MMS's suggestion of the Steens and the Frenchglen Hotel are some of our favorite places. We're looking for something like that, but in cabins. Obviously we're looking at the various ads and postings online, and we're familiar with many potentials, but we're looking for your suggestions as well.
Old Aug 17th, 2020, 12:02 PM
mms

I figured you were looking for more rustic. Bend is asking visitors to stay away, but perhaps head further out to Twin Lakes Resort. It is very rustic and they have a handful of cabins. There are some that are sort of duplexes so each couple be in one half. They have decks and look out over the lake. Our family used to go there with my cousins family like nearly 50 years ago and then we have taken our own family. Really nothing has changed there. It is way more rustic than Suttle Lake. We used to camp there numerous times every summer so I know it well.

Frenchglen now has the Droverís Inn which might work for you too. Itís just up behind the hotel and are more typical rooms so no shared baths. The hotel has shared baths so only 2 rooms are available there so that guests can have their own.

in Seneca there are some cute little cabins right along the highway.

Up in Glacier is the Blue T Lodge or a number of airbnb cabins. You would need to bring your own food, but the Wake n Bake is great for coffee/breakfast and then Chair 9 for other meals. Both have outdoor seating.
Old Aug 18th, 2020, 03:41 PM

Well its not exactly mountainous, but the Dogwood Motel along the N Umqua has cabins with kitchens. There are many waterfall hikes close by- some easy, some not as easy and there is a hiking trail along the Umqua. Not exactly remote as its right along the highway. I have stayed there and used as a base for the waterfall hikes. They were clean, a nice Koi pond out back and picnic tables.
Old Aug 18th, 2020, 09:19 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Check with the desk at the Diamond Lake Resort off Rt. 138. They do have 2 bedroom cabins with a kitchen and living room. There is only 1 bathroom in each cabin. You can decide if you want to rent one cabin or two. A few years ago I won a drawing for a weekend in one of their cabins and a 4 hour fishing trip for up to 4 people. I invited a friend couple. The wives stayed on land and Mark and I went fishing. We baked and ate the fish that we caught in the cabin. The Diamond Lake Resort also has motel type rooms as well.