N Carolina day trips Sept 2020

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2020, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend recently moved to Concord NC. A group is going up to visit for 5 days. She has only been there a month. We would like to do some day/ or an overnight outing. 4 girls in their 50’s. We love boutique shopping, wine, beautiful scenery, good food and just basic time together. Any suggestions on quaint towns to visit? Mid September. Thanks!
Old Aug 19th, 2020, 08:47 AM
Forum Moderator

Moved to US board and tagged
Old Aug 19th, 2020, 09:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
North Carolina is in Phase Two until September 11. Phase Two has been extended twice, and may be again. The numbers don't look a whole lot better than they did at the time of the last extension.

For details see: Phases-List.pdf

And: https://www.nc.gov/covid-19/staying-...extension-faqs

In normal times I would suggest investigating the many options in Charlotte, also Old Salem and the NC Zoo. There is a winery in Concord, too (never been, so no opinion): https://www.cabowine.com/
Old Aug 19th, 2020, 10:04 AM

Ideas to the west: Hendersonville, Brevard, Waynesville.
Old Aug 19th, 2020, 10:48 AM

Now I think about it, the Seagrove potteries are in driving distance, but you'd have to check to see what might be open.

Sadly, the mountains are too far for a day trip, but you could consider them for a couple of nights.
Old Aug 19th, 2020, 11:21 AM

Depending on traffic, Hendersonville is 2.25 hours from Concord, so could theoretically be done in a day trip, but would be better with an overnight. Brevard and Waynesville are 33 and 53 minutes, respectively, from Hendersonville.

Even the (to me) less charming, but popular Blowing Rock is less than 2.25 hours from Concord.

Any of these places match the desire for "boutique shopping, wine, beautiful scenery, good food".

Last edited by Brian_in_Charlotte; Aug 19th, 2020 at 11:23 AM.
Old Aug 19th, 2020, 11:32 AM

I figure four-plus hours round trip is too far for a day trip, bur YMMV. I would head for the Highlands or the Asheville area for overnights.
Old Aug 19th, 2020, 12:16 PM

As Brian suggests, the mountains are not at all too far for a day trip!!
For one trip I would REALLY suggest calling the museum in Seagrove and ask what may be open. The potteries are actually perfect for social distancing because each one rarely has more than one car (yours) in the parking lot!! Go to Jugtown (near the town of Seagrove) for a lovely store with many potters' wares available. Then I would go to Ben Owen's pottery--the current Ben Owne IV is a world renowned potter who teaches and has a wonderful pottery/store. There are over 40 potteries in the area within driving distance of one another. It is an amazing area and occurred because of the clay that was available in that area. One of my favorite potteries is the Luck pottery.
Lots to do in Charlotte--museums, shopping, and actually the MEGA mall near Concord would probably handle all the shopping needed. I would strongly recommend the Bechtler Museum in downtown Charlotte. It is a world class museum with a lovely collection and is comparatively small for a nice visit. Take your picture out front with the statue. Boutique shopping at South Park mall or the Shops at the Park across from it or Phillips Place just dwon the street from SP.
For a winery, I would suggest the Childress winery near Lexington AND getting some world famous BBQ in the town of lexington. I think Lexington#2 is the favored one. YOu could probably do a day trip to Winston Salem and see Old Salem and then hit the winery late afternoon and take BBQ home for dinner.. Also in Old Salem is the Southern Decorative Arts Museum-- a small museum with a wonderful collection of fine Early American furniture. And be sure to get some Moravian sugar cake at Winkler's Bakery.
For the mountains, I actually think Blowing Rock could be a nice day trip with cute shops and some good restaurants. Maybe better would be Asheville and it could be a day trip but maybe better with an overnight. Could see Biltmore Estate with that plan. I would bet Asheville would have some antiquing. It's an easy drive. Highlands is DEFINITELY too far even for an overnight and not as much to do IMO.
It's been a long time since I did any antiquing so am not up on the places to go now.
In Charlotte the South End neighborhood is a fun place to poke around for interior decorating shops in Atherton Mill.
Hopefully by mid-September we will be in Phase 3 or our Covid plan.