Reload this Page >

BWI to Smithsonian to Bristow

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 05:22 AM
JW

I'll be in the Washington DC area this Sunday and need some driving advice. I'll be starting from the BWI airport area at lunch and ending in Bristow VA in late afternoon. This gives me a few hours to kill on the way and I’m thinking about stopping at the Mall/Smithsonian/Monuments area for a couple of hours. I've never made this trip before, and any advice on driving from BWI into DC and then out to Bristow VA would be helpful.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 08:12 AM
Ruth

I don't know where Bristow is but if it's any distance from DC you might not have a few hours to kill. Once you get your car at BWI, it's about an hour to get to DC. Then you'll have to find a parking spot, which not that easy to do on Sunday afternoon. But if you want to do it, take the Parkway south until it splits, with Rt. 50, New York Avenue, going off to the right. Take New York Avenue to either 7th or 9th St. NW (near the construction for the new convention center) and turn left. Take either one of these streets to Constitution Avenue and turn right. You're now near the Smithsonian museums and depending upon which one you want to visit, make your way near and hunt for a spot. You might have to go a block or two either north of Constitution or south of Independence to find a spot.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 06:16 AM
JW

Thanks, Bristow is 30 or so miles outside of DC close to Manassas of of 66.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 08:05 AM
Ruth

Sounds like it will be an hour's drive from the Smithsonian area to Bristow. Even though it's Sunday, traffic on 66 can be very heavy. All you need to do to get to 66 is to head west (away from the Capitol and toward the Lincoln Memorial)on Constitution Avenue. That will take you across the Teddy Roosevelt Bridge and give you access to 66. If you don't have time to actually stop at the museums, you might do a driving tour around the memorials if you haven't seen these already.

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 10:51 AM
Ann

The Parkway mentioned above is the Baltimore-Washington Parkway. It's pretty well marked coming out of the airport. If you have no traffic and everything runs smoothly, it's 45 minutes from the airport into downtown DC, and then about 35 minutes out to Manassas. However, things never run smoothly around here, so allow yourself an hour minimum for each leg of the trip.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 06:35 AM
RTraveler

Why not use the Metro?

Free parking at their lots on weekends.

Buy the all day visitor pass for unlimited travel on the Metro for $5.

Why bother with traffic or parking?
(remove the x from my e-ddress to reply)