WHICH ONE? ZION OR BRYCE CANYON?

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 03:53 PM
Jeanna

WHICH ONE? ZION OR BRYCE CANYON?

I will be making a trip from Flagstaff to Las Vegas next month. I have thought about maybe going the northern route through southern Utah. The problem is that I will be leaving Flagstaff on Monday morning and have to be in Las Vegas by Wednesday (late afternoon or early evening. I had thought if I left Flagstaff about 9 o'clock, I would get to Bryce Canyon about 3. I could spend the rest of the day there, spend the night, then spend the next morning there. I would leave early afternoon for Zion, where I would have the rest of the day plus the next morning there until I leave for Las Vegas. The plus to this is that I would get both morning and evening time at both parks, but is this enough time to spend at the parks? Would I be better to just go to one or the other? If so, which one? Would it be better to maybe just make a drive through Bryce Canyon, giving us more time to explore Zion?

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 04:44 PM
ALEX

HI
APPROX THREE YEARS I DROVE FROM VEGAS TO ZION AND THEN BRYCE. I PREFER ZION. IN ZION I HIKED UP THE RIVER ABOUT ONE QUARTER MILE IN KNEE HIGH (AT THAT TIME)WATER TO OBSERVE THE CLOSING OF THE STEEP COLORFUL CANYON WALLS, BEAUTIFUL. WARE GOOD LACE UP BOOTS AS YOU'LL BE WALKING IN A RIVER BED OF MOSTLY SOFTBALL SIZE ROCKS, YOU'LL NEED A GOOD WALKING STICK FOR BALANCE. PARKING FOR THE RIVER HIKE IS LIMITED BUT THEY HAVE A LITTLE SHUTTLE BUS TO MORE PARKING, CHECK WITH RANGER STATION. WE STAYED JUST OUTSIDE THE PARK SORRY DON'T HAVE NAME BUT THERE ARE SEVERAL PALCES. IN BRYCE YOU NEED RES. I STAYED THE PARK ENTRANCE ACROSS FROM THE HELICOPTER HELIPORT I BELIEVE ITS THE ONLY PLACE CLOSE. THE PARK RANGER CAN PROVIDE THE NAME AS ITS THE ONLY PLACE NEAR THE HELIPORT. ACCOM WERE OK, LIKE HOLIDAY INN STYLE. IF YOU DO NOTHING ELSE IN BRYCE TAKE THE HELICOPTER RIDE. PRICE IS VERY REASONABLE AND THE VIEW IS GREAT. AT THAT TIME THE HELI PILOT WAS A FRIEND OF MY NEPHEW WHO IS ONE TOO SO I FELT SAFE OR THOUGHT SO ANYWAY. ONE DAY I WILL GO BACK BUT ONLY TO ZION. HAVE FUN
ALEX IN ORLANDO FL

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 05:10 PM
rqf

Even though your time is limited you should do both since one route going back to Las Vegas will take you through Zion.
You could get a little more time in Bryce if you could leave Flagstaff Sunday evening. Don't attempt the entire trip but consider driving at least half way (Page, AZ) or if you want to drive a litle further, Kanab. Then if you leave wherever you stop by 9am you will be in Bryce before noon time. The extra hours might enable you to take a half day mule trip into the Canyon.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 05:24 AM
RB

If this is the only time you'll make it out to this part of the country, do both. But if you'll be back (and trust me, once you see it, you will!) I'd go to Zion and maximize the time there. The park shuttle is great, and runs down to nearby Springdale- check Flanigans Inn for a room. The shuttle makes frequent stops at different walks/hikes- and there are walks and hikes for every physical level. By using the shuttle, you'll give yourself a "free day" away from holding the car wheel- and you'll be loving the scenery. Enjoy your trip.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 06:39 AM
Penny

Jeanna,

I think you have time to do both--and as a previous poster said, you'll probably want to go back anyway to do them in more depth, as it were.

You'll be able to see Bryce at sunset, which will be great.

I really loved Zion--I think because we'd just been to the Grand Canyon and Zion and it was different. (Nothing of course can compare to the vast beauty of the Grand Canyon.) What I thought was so neat about Zion was that you can drive down into it and be in the canyon. The lodge is down there in the floor of the canyon. Definitely eat in the Zion Lodge if you have time.