Reload this Page >

BW Key Ambassador Resort in Key West

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 10:54 AM
Yvonne

Has anyone stayed at the Best Western Ambassador Resort in Key West? I may stay there at the end of February. I know that is not downtown which is okay. They have an oceanview room at $201/night. On travel talk and yahoo it sounds like the rooms are clean. Wanted to get more opiniions. Thanks!

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 10:57 AM
x

I dont know what kind of an ocean view they can have. They are across the highway and not on the water. I think you are actually closer to the airort.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 11:01 AM
Jed

Didn't stay there but the pool is right next to the highway if I remember correctly. Take a look at one of the many B&Bs in town.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 11:02 AM
Jenn

Yvonne-I have stayed there before. The ocean is across the street and yes, you can see it from your room. The rooms are large and clean, free continental breakfast, nice pool with tiki bar. All in all a good value.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 11:07 AM
Abby

The beauty of Key West is how small and convenient everything is IF you stay in town and not out by the airport. Get something closer to town and you will enjoy yourself more. You will spend an arm and a leg parking or using taxis getting back and forth.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 11:08 AM
x

Two words - Spring Breakers!! HAve fun!

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 11:10 AM
Jack

In Feb. there will be few spring breakers. As to driving into town, the Bone Island Shuttle takes you anywhere in Key West for 2 bucks.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 11:12 AM
xx

The Shuttle is 9 dollars and has limited hours.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 11:14 AM
Jenn

Jack is right the Bone Island Shuttle stops at the BW and it is cheap to go into town. Yvonne, there is nothing wrong with the Key Ambassador, it is clean and you have a nice screened in balcony. Don't let these naysayers ruin your vacaion.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 11:22 AM
xxx

Its an O.K. place but the location does suck because you are so close to the airport and the pool is on the street side. Last we were there, there was a lot of construction going next to it.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 11:26 AM
Help

Here is a link to the Bone Isle Shuttle. There is also a good map of the island to better help you understand the layout. Have a nice vacation. http://www.boneislandshuttle.com/index.htm

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 11:27 AM
another

There is another Best Western in town closer to everything.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 11:40 AM
KeysLover

The other Best Western Hibiscus gets mixed reviews. There is nothing wrong with this hotel for a couple of nights which Yvonne is planning on doing.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 11:54 AM
x

I have topped some threads for you. There is so much info on Key West just do a search.

It was my understanding that its the Ambassador that gets the mixed reviews and not the Hybiscus.

I also think I read somewhere that the Ambassador was damaged in one of the more recent hurricanes and they can't get rid of the mildue smell.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 12:06 PM
xxx

Sandi would you happen to have that number to the Innskeepers handy?

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 12:12 PM
xxx

http://www.keywestinns.com/home.cfm

I also checked within the site and there is plenty of availablity in the end of Feb.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 12:54 PM
Sammi

try biddingfortravel.com. I have found several great deals with that site.

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 06:55 AM
Myrna

I have stayed at the BW Ambassador and I did not notice any mildew smell. As for mixed ratings, it was the Hibiscus that was dissed pretty bad in Frommer's NOT the Key West Ambassador. The BW Ambassador is clean, rooms are large and it is very good value. Pool is nice. The only drawback is the location from Old Town. But, you are across the street from the Ocean. As to getting something under 200 a night in Old Town-Good luck.

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 11:01 AM
Postal

I recently stayed at the Crowne Plaza Key West on Duval Street (right in the center of Old Town) for $50 thru Priceline and was lucky enough to be upgraded to one of their four suites, which if course was fantastic.

I would not hesitate to use Priceline for Key West again even though I have no guarantee of getting the Crowne PLaza - or a suite! But with that $150 per night I saved, I had a lot more fun elsewhere!

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 11:15 AM
xxx

In the Rant and Rave section of Fodors its the Ambassador that gets iffy reviews. Priceline is great for bargins. I suggest using them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -