Buying Euros before travelling to Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been trying to buy euros from banks, only to find out that they will charge me a 7/8% spread and, in some cases, and additional fixed fee on top of the spread. Have you been able to get euros in USA at a better rate?
jose
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 01:46 PM

I ended up purchasing a small amount from AAA until I could get to an ATM in Europe which is the best place to get them. AAA has a "tip package" for $100 (if you are a member or know of one). It just gives you some Euros so you don't have to make sure you find the first ATM when you are tired and cranky (me after a transatlantic flight). Just a thought.
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 01:57 PM

We do what charli does on international trips - I just like to have some local currency when I arrive. Our regular bank (Bank of America - we are a customer) sells them to us without a transaction fee at a slightly worse exchange rate than the going rate - but since it is a small amount of cash, I figure I am "losing" a few dollars -not a big deal relative to cost of trip.

We have also gone to large Boston bank for more obscure money (like Egyptian pound) and been able to get local currency for a reasonable rate.
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 02:40 PM

I almost always get local currency only when I arrive in the country from an ATM - risky perhaps, but I do have credit cards in lieu of cash, and I have used my debit card overseas on many trips, so I know it will work in the local ATMs. If you need to get some Euros before you leave for peace of mind, you should expect to pay a premium: either at your bank or at an airport exchange desk.
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 02:46 PM

I always get about $200 worth of the currency of the country which I am visiting. Although the rate may be disadvantageous, i do not want any surprises at the magic wall.
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 02:47 PM
J62

No, I don't even try. I'm of the opinion that I don't need the comfort factor of having euros in my pocket on the plane, walking from the plane through immigration and baggage claim before entering the arrivals hall.

One I exit through customs I have the option of an ATM, or if none is available then changing a small amount of $US into euro to tide me over until I get to hotel or town for no more than it'd cost me in the US.

Is there a reason you want to get euro before you depart? The need to have a lot of euro in hand to pay cash for an apartment makes sense, as do other reasons.
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 04:04 PM

We go the ATM route once we land as well, with a bit of US$ in cash to exchange if the ATM doesn't work for us.
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 04:28 PM

No - that's what you will pay in the US.

To get the best rates used your credit cards as much as possible in europe and pull cash from your checking account via ATMs.

If you must have a few euros before you go change $100 at the bureau de change in your departure airport. The rate will be awful, but on so little it doesn't matter.

Separately, carrying around a large amount of cash is not a great idea. We each carry no more than $200 or so equivalent and just pull more walking around money when you need it.