Busch Gardens - worth the $$$ ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a couple in our 50's - going to Fl in November. I am intrigued by the animal kingdom/safari attraction at Busch Gardens and I think I want to see it. Is it a waste of money to spend the high admission charge if we don't go any of the rides?
Are there other things of interest in Busch Gardens besides the rides and the animals?
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 08:18 PM

I went to Busch in Tampa last September with 2 other families. We live near the Busch park in Virginia and the two are no where in comparison. VA Busch is so much better that we didn't really enjoy the one in Tampa. The shows are good, though. We went on one animal ride they have and I was not impressed. If you're able and want to experience animals...drive to Orlando and go to Disney's Animal Kingdom...or go to Sea World where you can pet and feed dolphins with regular park admission. Not sure if that's appealing to you or not. Just a suggestion...but it depends on what you enjoy.
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 04:08 AM

It's been several years since we were at Tampa's Busch Gardens. It was a big disappointment. They had taken in so much of the original park/animal area for rides, that there was little left. A lot of touristy shops and eateries. I don't remember anything else. I would spend my money at Sea World.
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 04:08 AM

I agree with pianograd99. We enjoyed Virginia Busch Gardens so much more than Florida one. In fact, we thought it was the prettiest amusement park we had been in with rolling hills and beautiful flowers.

Also, when we were there several years ago, the food was actually good and the prices were reasonable. This may have changed but it was just so much better than Florida.
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 04:32 AM

For viewing/interacting with animals, I'd strongly recommend the Lowry Park zoo located very near Busch Gardens. You can hand-feed their giraffes, which is an amazing experience.

Take a look:

http://www.lowryparkzoo.com/html/l2/...ons_inter.html
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 06:29 AM
cd

We were also disappoined in Tampa Busch Gardens but that's not to say I'm sorry to have gone. We did spend the day walking, watching a few shows and having a few beers. The rides did not interest us as we are from the Cedar Point area and there's no comparision. I can really say I'm not sorry to have gone anywhere I've never been before but it is one place I would never go back to.
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 06:39 AM

I've always been a big fan of Busch Gardens as I live in Tampa and have been going for years and years. I recently made a trip to Universal Studios and realized how much more you get for your money there. Busch is now THE roller-coaster ride park with all the newest rides -- the "zoo" portion of the park is still nice but it has a more man-made look and feel compared to Animal Kingdom Lodge where you feel emersed in the animals world (the only part of Disneys land that's been given over to the natural Florida terrain, thank the lord). Busch is stilll, frankly, a great value for the money but if you're not a rider then you're paying for stuff that you won't be using.

I think Busch needs to add a nice restaurant, nicer than what they have. They at one time had plans to put a hotel within the park such as Animal Kingdom Lodge but for some reason that didn't happen. That too would have been a great draw as the nearby hotels are pedestrian, mundane, some are downright awful. But I think they decided financially to put their money into the roller-rides. They have a strong base of support in Tampa where a lot of people go to enjoy the gardens, rides, and park.

I think Lowry Park is a good recommendation. It is a terrific zoo.
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice! I think we will skip BG and go to the zoo instead. I don't think we are up to a trek to Disney. We were in VA last year and didn't go to BG there....but I will save it for the next time we go. I think we will be happy with the zoo - I love Giraffes!