Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Busch Gardens/Disney/Universal - which for one day?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 02:49 PM
Julie

We're going to Tampa for spring break and have one day set aside for a theme park. Busch Gardens is obviously the closest, but is it worth the price for kids who are 6 and 8? Alternatively, we could drive to Orlando and go to either Magic Kingdom, Universal, or Islands of Adventure. Which would you choose with a 6- and 8-year old?

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 05:03 PM
mjh

For kids that age the Magic Kingdom would be the most fun -- but the crowds could be bad because so many schools are on break. Universal would probably also be crowded. My guess is that Busch Gardens would be less so. Do they like zoos. I thought it was largely a wild animal zoo.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 05:07 PM
randa

I'd also go with Busch Gardens, for the reason stated above; it will simply be too crowded at the other parks. Also, you should be able to see everything in one day at Busch, whereas at the other parks one day would be a drop in the bucket, and your kids would probably be clamoring to spend more days there.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 02:01 AM
Lesley

Busch Gardens is great. We were there 18 months ago with our 6 year old and 3 year old. It's less of a zoo these days and there are loads of rides - 3 or 4 roller coasters just to start with. There is a huge play area (good for an 8 year old too) and fairground rides and stalls. Plenty to exhaust you and keep you busy for a day. We did visit Disney/Universal too as we were staying in Orlando. It's quite a drive from Tampa (maybe 90 minutes to 2 hours) so I would spend that extra time at Busch Gardens rather than in the car! I'm sure your kids will enjoy it. If you do decide to drive up, my vote would be Islands of Adventure - it's huge and some of the rides are awesome. Your two might be too young/short for some of them though, but as you couldn't ride EVERY ride there in ONE day you would still find plenty to do. Hope this helps. email me if you want any more info

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 02:46 AM
linda

busch gardens is fantastic,there is lots to do for kids of that age,don't put your kids throught the extra time spent in a car just to go somewhere else when there is a great theme park nearby.also the is a water park next door(Don't know if its open spring break)this is also very good. have a great time whatever you decide.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 03:01 AM
gail

I would also vote for Busch Gardens. We went when our kids were about the ages of yours. I found it less cloying than Magic Kingdom, crowds were very manageable, rides and animals offered lots of choices. Food was cheaper and better than WDW. Even if they were both the same driving distance, I would pick Busch Gardens - add the car trip to that and, for me, the choice is easy.

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 04:50 AM
spencer

BUSCH GARDENS IS YOUR BEST BET AND I KNOW THEY ARE RUNNING SOME GREAT SPECIALS, CHECK OUT AAA FOR THE SPECIALS.

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 08:08 PM
tigger

If you buy Single day tickets for the Busch Gardens on line, you will get 10% off. Go check their website.
www.4adventure.com