Bus from CARLSBAD TO PALM SPRINGS?

Jul 13th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Bus from CARLSBAD TO PALM SPRINGS?

We'll be going with grandchildren to Disneyland & Carlsbad after Christmas and after that, we would like to spend a few days in Palm Springs but don't want to drive. Is there a regular bus system going between Carlsbad to Palm Springs?
Thanks!
Jul 13th, 2010, 11:34 AM

As far as I know the only way you can get from Carlsbad to Palm Springs by bus is on Greyhound which is not something I'd want to do. Looks like a bus leaves from Oceanside, transfers twice and stops a couple more times and takes almost 5 hours. And that's the short trip!!

Not sure why you don't want to drive. It's a easy drive from Carlsbad and would take around 2 hours. Also once you are in Palm Springs you will probably want a car. Even if you are staying right on Palm Canyon or Indian Canyon drive in the heart of the city, some of the sights you'd want to see would require some driving. It's easy to get around Palm Springs/Palm Desert and traffic is never too bad, streets are wide and layed out well.
Jul 13th, 2010, 11:44 AM

<<>>

And if you're NOT staying right on Palm Canyon or Indian Canyon drive, you'll likely be staying at a resort, and will want the car just to drive to dinner! Except "in town", the Palm Springs area is not conducive to getting where you want to go on foot! For example, from the Marriott we normally stay in (we have a timeshare there) to Roy's (restaurant) is nearly 3 miles.
Jul 13th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. I was just wondering how crazy the traffic is down there. We're from Canada and although we drive in cities, I don't think we are used to the way it is down there. Are you SURE it's okay for driving Carlsbad to Palm Springs - do you just 'get on the road and hope for the best'?? We do have a GPS.
Jul 13th, 2010, 12:13 PM

Palm Springs is not like driving in Los Angeles so you wouldn't have any problem. San Diego County (where I live) is also pretty easy to navigate. Even in the worst traffic times, it's nothing like driving in LA which is what you are probably thinking about.

I'm a sales rep and cover all this area in my territory so I make the drive often. If you leave Carlsbad around 9am, you'd be in Palm Springs before noon and really not hit any heavy traffic to speak of. Don't know where you'd be staying but sf7307 is right, most things are not within walking distance particularly if you're staying at a resort.
Jul 13th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for reply. part of problem is that we'll be flying out of palm springs so if we rent a car in Carlsbad, some rental companies won't allow that. We're staying at Grand Pacific Resorts (Seapointe Resort) at Carlsbad
Jul 13th, 2010, 12:59 PM

Oh yes, just drive - it is not an issue. It a fine drive and you should not have any issues. I have made the drive many many times.
Jul 13th, 2010, 01:02 PM

I don't think that should be a problem. Some rental companies do charge a drop off fee but it's usually not that much. Since you're picking the car up in Carlsbad and flying out of a smaller airport, you might not have as many choices for car rental companies but I am sure there are one or two that have one way rentals.
Jul 13th, 2010, 01:16 PM

Actually the drop off fees can be outrageous.

But I don't realistically think there are good options other than driving.