Bugs? Mosquitos in Hawaii??

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2001, 12:10 PM
cindy

Bugs? Mosquitos in Hawaii??

are there alot? do you need repellant?

Old May 8th, 2001, 01:12 PM
Olicia

Just got back from Maui and never saw one.

Old May 8th, 2001, 01:51 PM
cindy

Olicia, that's great..tell us about your trip please. Where did you stay, blah blah blah?

Old May 8th, 2001, 03:36 PM
Judy

Almost no mosquitos by the beaches. Mosquitos can be found inland, but not a problem.

Old May 8th, 2001, 04:13 PM
Tom

If your worried about bugs, rent a gecko. They are cheap and effective

Old May 8th, 2001, 10:54 PM
Tim

Don't Worry -- Nary a one like in the AWFUL Caribbean!!

Old May 9th, 2001, 12:27 AM
Melissa

Are you going hiking, especially at the Lyon Arboretum? If so, then yes, you need repellant.

Old May 9th, 2001, 08:49 AM
kristin

We went to Maui in '99 and were fine until we did the road to Hana where it is very tropical. I woke up the next morning with about 20 bites on each leg. Watching our video when we got back, I noticed that our shots of me during hiking back into see the waterfalls and lush landscape, that I was itching! But other than that (by the beaches/resorts) you should be fine. Have fun!

Old May 9th, 2001, 10:34 AM
Hawaii?

Hey Tim, with the $ I'll save going to the Carib instead of Hawaii I can buy an AWFUL lot of bug repellant.

Old May 10th, 2001, 01:23 AM
Tim

Well, "Hawaii," enjoy all the bug spray and savings you can -- while you're surrounded by all the SLUMS of the Caribbean!! (Grand Cayman and St. Barts EXCLUDED!!)

Old May 11th, 2001, 09:17 AM

Been to Oahu, Kauai, Maui, and the big island. The road to Hana in Maui is the mosquito pit. We went on a rain forest hike - used up a whole bottle of bug spray but still got bunch of mosquito bites. Got 1 bite by mosquito in Kauai - that's it.

I'll definitely take bug spray to Hana...

Old May 13th, 2001, 10:26 AM
t

Just back from Maui. I agree you will need bug spray on the road to Hana. Lotions seem to work better than a spray. We did a lot of hiking and I only got bit once.

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 01:55 PM
Kim

I never saw a bug or mosquito in Maui until we took that *##* drive to Hana. I no more stepped out of the car and my legs were covered with bites from insects I never saw.

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 07:16 PM
Bob

We went on the road to Hana in 1999.
Got so many bites both of my legs became gangrenous and fell off.
Haven't been back there since.

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 03:33 PM
Carol

There are wild boars, but no indiginous snakes. There are no mosquitos when there is a breeze blowing, but once the breeze dies down, (and it does when you least expect it), be sure to have your OFF on. Hawaiian mosquitos have the ability to leave scars, too!

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 06:48 PM
Cathleen

I was in Hawaii (Maui and Oahu) last May and the only place I noticed any mosquitos or biting bugs was when we took some forest hike on the road to Hana. Unlike others who have posted, I didn't notice mosquitos in other places on the road to Hana at all - only when we went into the deeper forest (it was a 45-min hike if I recall), and even then it was only 3 or 4 bites.

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 06:51 PM
deb

I just got back a week ago from Maui. We wore heavy duty mosquito lotion from EMS. I got bitten like crazy. I got several bites without lotion the first night 5/21 at Pacific Grill at Four Seasons (It had just rained). My husband got none though. The road to hana we did some major hiking (with tons of lotion on) and I had a ton on me, husband had none. Bottom line, if you tend to get bites you probably will.

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 09:58 PM
Carol

Just remembered that a shopkeeper on Kauai sold us some pure lavendar oil last year....it helps with the itches... You can usually find it either in health stores or else around incense type-of-stuff....

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 10:02 PM
Carol

Sheesh, that s/b lavender!

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 12:23 AM
Cock Roach

Leave us insects alone! The nerve! We live here doing our own thing, and what right do you homo saps have in invading our territory and bugging us with all that spray? Stay home in your sterile air conditioned apartment if you can't respect the environment!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -