Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Buffalo/Toronto to Sonoma/Napa - arrive in Oakland, Sacramento or?

Dec 27th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

checking out flights for the 30th of July..I thought it might be easy driving from Toronto to Buffalo and just taking Southwest...how naive as there are no direct flights...We are flexible..we can land in Sacramento, San Jose, Oakland, San Fran...which airline and destination would you suggest? Toronto direct flights are presently at $990 return...
Dec 27th, 2009, 09:36 AM

I can't help you with the east coast logistics, but if the air-fares are about the same, I would certainly land at SFO instead of the other places. Driving through SF and across the Golden Gate Bridge into the GGNRA for a drop-dead view of the City & coastline is a highlight in itself.

July 30 is "get-away" Friday, and it would be a nightmare driving to Napa from San Jose and perhaps Oakland also (ugly, ugly drive too). Driving from The City will be bad enough. Perhaps spend most of Friday getting to Napa via the back roads and doing this late in the day (unless you arrive before noon).

Stu Dudley
Dec 27th, 2009, 09:38 AM

Are you planning to drive straight to Napa or Sonoma upon arrival? If price is the main factor, any of the above would work, although San Jose is an extra 40 miles or so, and traffic can be awful, so of the four possible destinations, this is the one I'd eliminate unless the price was really great. Consider where you'll rent a car, and where you'll return it to also. If you're NOT going straight to Napa or Sonoma (for ex., staying in San Francisco for a couple of days), my advice might change, e.g. it would be crazy to fly into Sacramento if your destination is downtown San Francisco.
Dec 27th, 2009, 10:19 AM

If your destination is Napa/Sonoma Valleys, I'd choose Sacramento. It's an easy airport and the car rental office is very easy for pick-up and drop-off. It is about 1 hr. 15 min from Sacto airport to Napa. Traffic should not be much of an issue.

Oakland would be choice #2. Arrival times are a consideration. Try to leave Oakland prior to 3 or 3:30 PM or after 6PM.

SFO is choice #3, but leave SFO prior to 2PM or after 7PM.
Forget San Jose.
Dec 27th, 2009, 10:43 AM

The late july-mid august fares from buffalo usually hit rock bottom after the july 4th holiday on all carriers... if you can wait... there have been some $99 to $149 each way to CA in each of the past few years.... no guarantees though.... good luck!
Dec 27th, 2009, 12:56 PM

Hello, horatio, what time would you flight come into Sacramento if you book that flight? Sacramento is a small and very easy airport to fly into. IF you are going to Napa or Sonoma and not into San Francisco, Sacramento Airport would be a good choice. If you arrive late afternoon you will get some heavy traffic going south on I-80 but you should be fine when you cut over to Napa/Sonoma.
Dec 27th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Okay...lots of good advice here, thanks...our villa rental actually starts on the Sunday in Sonoma and we thought we could spend 2 nights at the coast(we are 5 adults).the guys may want to golf in the Pebble Beach area..we thought maybe we could fly in on Friday morning....I have seen SanFRan already and the villa is not that far in that those that would want a tour could not go in for a day, no? So, a resort not far, on the ocean..with golf maybe...I mean, whether I fly into Sacramento or Oakland there is nothing direct from Buffalo, right?
Dec 27th, 2009, 03:24 PM

If you want to spend Fri & Sat nights in the Carmel/Monterey area, fly into Oakland. I would not want to drive from Sacramento to Carmel on a Friday. Note that in late July, Pebble Beach could be "socked in" with heavy fog.

Stu Dudley
Dec 27th, 2009, 03:25 PM

>> fly into Oakland. <<

Oops - fly into San Jose.

Stu Dudley
Dec 27th, 2009, 05:36 PM

"So, a resort not far, on the ocean..with golf maybe"

One option if you want to stay in a nice place near the ocean in Sonoma County is Bodega Bay. There are several nice inns there and a wonderful golf course. However, it is a long way from Pebble Beach.

http://www.bodegaharbourgolf.com/

Sacramento, Oakland, or SFO are all pretty much the same distance from Bodega Bay. There's also an airport in Santa Rosa if you are flying Alaska/Horizon.
Dec 27th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Would Bodega Bay not be a place we could even visit while at the villa in Sonoma...How far would it be from the south end of Sonoma?
Dec 27th, 2009, 06:36 PM

In July the coast - whether Carmel or Bodega Bay - could very likely be pretty cold and foggy. Sounds weird I know - but the hotter it is inland (like in Napa/Sonoma and Sacramento) the colder it gets on the coast. Just a heads up that you may not have 'beachy' weather.

If you were going straight to the rental - then Sacramento would be best. If you are going south to Monterey - then San Jose would be best. The good thing about WN is that flights are booked as one way segments. So you can fly into SJC and out of SMF.

If you decide on the Marin coast instead - I'd fly into SFO, or OAK if the fares are better, and out of SMF.
Dec 27th, 2009, 07:29 PM

The buffalo hubs are chicago, detroit, denver, pittsburg, and philadelphia, depending on the airline... no direct
Dec 28th, 2009, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

I am surprised about the weather being cooler and foggier. We are now thinking about the option of flying direct into Vegas, doing a couple nights there and then flying to San Fran..there seem to be lots of flights on southwest..a couple in our group have never been. I had just originally thought, why go to California if you could not spend some time near the beach..not to swim, but to walk and enjoy the view...you have all been great, speedy responses..thanks. maybe the golf will happen in Sonoma...
Dec 28th, 2009, 06:01 AM

"I had just originally thought, why go to California if you could not spend some time near the beach..not to swim, but to walk and enjoy the view"

Oh - you'd still want to see the coast - really magnificent scenery. The Pacific is very cold so even when the weather is fabulous the water is usually too cold for swimming. Surfers out here on the north and central CA coast mostly wear wet suits . . . .

If you do decide on Vegas (I'd skip it, but you know what you'd enjoy) - then I'd fly from LV to Sacramento and then drive on to Sonoma.
Dec 28th, 2009, 08:17 AM

Vegas as a substitute for San Francisco and the northern Calif coast in late July ??? Wow - that's really an "opposite" - fake instead of real !!!

Stu Dudley
Dec 28th, 2009, 09:22 AM

If hot is what you want, then Vegas in July is a good choice. Think 110°F.
Dec 28th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

I know...we have done Vegas in the summer a few times as my work keeps me away from it the rest of the year. My mother in law is with us and, I think, would have an interest in seeing Vegas. Vegas came up more so because a lot of the flights to Sacramento out of Buffalo stop in Vegas..I can do a return flight for $234 this way..rates may go down later but I don't know if I can wait until July to find out...is $234 one way a good rate for this leg? And, as stated here, Sacramento is an easier airport to handle both for the flight and car rental??
Dec 28th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Stu..you are right...totally fake and we don't even gamble but we enjoy a nice hotel, morning swims and a nice show...it may work..she comes on Wednesday and we will need to discuss it...thanks again..you guys are all great..happy new year!!!
Dec 28th, 2009, 01:04 PM

Is your Sonoma villa inland or on the shore? If inland, it will be hot in July, so it may be perfect to spend some time at Pebble Beach, such a beautiful area!

Will your mom-in-law tolerate Vegas' heat well?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO