Budget for New York?

Search

Budget for New York?

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2006, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Budget for New York?

I'm planning a 10 day or so trip to New York with my brother but not sure if it's possible on my budget. I am 20 and a college student, therefore don't have too much money to spend. I was wondering if anyone had an estimate of the total cost of the trip as my parents seem to think I'm not being realistic. I will be travelling from Ireland and have found flights for 450 euros (568 dollars) return, which seems reasonable (not to mention convenient, last time with my parents we went via Belgium). We would spend around 4 nights in NYC, and then stay with family in upstate NY for another week, returning to JFK to fly home.

I was thinking 50 dollars (40 euro) a night max for a cheap hotel or decent hostal, for 4 nights in NYC. Is this possible, and does anyone know of such a place to stay in a safe area? We are planning to eat cheaply, buying things from supermarkets and eating fast food. I thought maybe 60-70 dollars max for a food budget over 4 days, assuming we eat a decent breakfast every day. We would then allow 100 euro each for sightseeing, transport and shopping, considering we have already been to NYC twice and don't need to revisit the Empire State building and such. We would be more interested in museums this time around. A return ticket to our cousin's in upstate NY is around 80 dollars, and we would have free accommodation there, but paying our own food, which we would buy at a supermarket and prepare at home, so we think 60 dollars for food.

The entire cost of the trip is therefore 1078 dollars, or 853 euros. I could not go over this, therefore I would appreciate your advice on whether or not this is a realistic budget. I think I have been overcautious and overestimated how much I will need, but maybe I'm wrong?
Old May 1st, 2006, 04:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Well, I am sure you will get much more acurate advice from some of the NY contingent. But, the hotel budget is way too low. I can't imagine any hotel that is not rat infested and in the slums for 50 bucks a night. So, you will have to budget more for the hotel.
I guess you can eat Mc Donalds for a week for cheap.
NY is expensive. I would budget more for hotel and less for activities.
I wish you the best of luck and hope you can work it out.
Did you check Priceline.com where you bid on hotels? Maybe you can get a discount there?
Old May 1st, 2006, 04:50 AM

No, I don't think your budget is reasonable at all. I don't know of ANY hotel or hostel for $50 a night, including all taxes. If I understand your message, you want to spend $60 for food over the 4 full days? That's $15 a day for food and beverage. That isn't reasonable, either. Even a sandwich at a NYC deli will cost you in the $5 range. Fast food is even more expensive in NY. A slice is $2, but add in that water or soda and you'll be over budget.

I agree that $100 seems more than adequate for sightseeing. Remember that some museums (like the Metropolitan Museum) are "pay what you wish." While they encourage you to pay the full suggested amount because it helps support the museum and its programs, students and others on a limited budget should feel free to pay less.

I don't know what you plan to do in the evenings, but you have no real $$ budgeted for drinks, movies or any other entertainment.

Bottom line: NYC is expensive. There are lots of free and inexpensive things to do and see in the city, but I don't think you can adequately stay, eat and walk around at the budget you've listed.
Old May 1st, 2006, 04:57 AM
GoTravel

Transportation will be a budget buster.

I don't think your budget is realistic.

Not sure about the price of hostels but mclaurie has excellent hotel information (btw, no way will you be able to afford a hotel).

You could do the food for $15 but I would not want to. Assuming you eat bagels and coffee for breakfast and a slice of pizza for lunch and one for dinner, I'd starve to death.

A more reasonable budget would be $100 per night each for accommodations and $30 per person per day for food.

Plenty of free sightseeing in NYC. Go to:

www.DowntownNY.com

Old May 1st, 2006, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I suspected the hotel budget was too low. What would be a reasonable price per night? I have stayed at a hostel on Amsterdam Ave before which I'm sure was less than 50 bucks a night, and it was fine, but it's booked solid and so are the other hostels I've found searching with Google. I do not want a dorm, but sharing a room with 2 or so other people might be OK. Somewhere to lock away our luggage is essential.

Yes we were planning on spending 15-20 a day for food, I know it is really nothing. What is the average cost of a coffee and a bagel? We were thinking that for breakfast, slice of pizza for lunch and burger and fries for dinner (I know it's not a good diet but it's 4 days). Could we get that for under $15? We planned to get chips or small snacks (bananas, apples) from a supermarket to keep us going throughout the day. Neither of us are big eaters, I need to eat regularly but not big portions. We normally buy a bottle of water from a supermarket and refill it every day from a faucet, so we don't need to get drinks with our meals. At the very least buying a bottle of water every morning from a deli or something would surely be cheaper than a drink with every meal. We don't drink soda or milkshakes anyway.

I guess we will be spending the sightseeing budget on a hostel, then. It probably is way too high, considering many things are free. I'm pleased to hear some museums are free also. We will be happy just walking around, looking at the buildings and so on once we have visited a museum or two. I remember the Staten Island ferry being free the last time I visited, although I could easily be wrong, is this the case?

We didn't plan anything for the evening yet. We won't be going out to bars or anything considering I'll be with my brother and we're both underage in the US. Is there anything at a reasonable price? Broadway shows and the like are obviously out, as is the movies as we can do that at home (out of interest, how much is a movie there?) Are any monuments worth a visit at night? We heard there is a show at the Rockefeller center worth seeing.
Old May 1st, 2006, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

By the way, what would a reasonable budget for transport be? We walk whenever possible, and will be using the subway for large distances. Is there a subway pass worth using for a 4 day visit?
We plan to take a bus from JFK when we arrive and leave, which I think is around 10 dollars each way.
Old May 1st, 2006, 05:31 AM

The only hostal I can think of that may work for you is the Banana Bungalow on the upper west side:

http://www.bananabungalow.com/
Old May 1st, 2006, 05:36 AM

Don't know anything about this place, but it lists a dorm rate of $35 a night http://www.bigapplehostel.com/rates.phpIf you bring snacks and food with you to supplement, you could probably eat fast food for dinner and lunch for $15 a day.
Old May 1st, 2006, 05:38 AM
GoTravel

Try this site for accommodations:

www.PlacesToStay.com

They list hostels and B&Bs.

I don't know of any bus that is $10 but there are bus services and I believe they range from $15-$19.

You can also take the Airtrain for $5 but that trip will take anywhere from 1-2 hours depending upon time of day and day of the week.

An unlimited subway pass is $7 per day or $24 for 7 days.

There will be times when you will want to take a cab. Build this into your budget.

Old May 1st, 2006, 05:52 AM

You should contact citylightsnewyork.com and see what they might have in a hosted apartment (you stay with someone). You may find other hostel options looking on hostelz.com

You can eat on as little as you want provided you're prepared to manage on hot dogs (Gray's Papaya has 2 dogs and a drink for $2.75 but how often can you eat that?), pizza etc.

If you weren't coming with your brother, you could have considered one of the women's residences like the Brandon or the Park Evangeline that include meals.

http://www.thebrandon.org/

http://www.websterapartments.org/

http://www.sacredheartresidence.com/

I think you'll need $75/night for room
$35/day/person for food
Old May 1st, 2006, 06:16 AM

On a real cheap food budget, yo ucan probably keep breakfast at about $2-3 if you buy from the street carts, or get a bagel and coffee from a deli. Lunch or even dinner you can do papaya king or similar for a hotdog or get a couple of slices of pizza for about $5. For snacks you can stop in any Duane Reade (they are all over) and buy water bottems of soft drinks, and other snack foods. For a cheap dinner, wander around cheapish areas like the E. VIllage. You'll find fast food type places (but not the usual chains although they are there too), where you can probably eat for about $10.

That being said, a cheap food budget for 3 meals and an occasional drink could be < $20/day. Much less than that would be tough.

One thing I used to do on a budget, for dinner, I'd go to these happy hours where free food was served. Some places put out amazing spreads. It's been many years since I've done that, but maybe others here know where you could find similar deals today.

As far as cheap lodging, are you travelling along, or is that $50 per person and you're sharing a room? There aren't too many bargains in NYC but there have been other posts here recently about budget YMCA and Hostel accommodations.
Old May 1st, 2006, 06:21 AM

here's a recent post about cehap accommodations for NYC.
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34795295

Old May 1st, 2006, 07:43 AM
Neopolitan

You sound adventurous. Here's an idea. You might go to www.craigist.org. Go to New York, and click housing wanted. Explain your ages, the fact you are from Ireland, and what and when you are looking for. You may find someone with a spare room to rent who would be delighted to have a couple of Irish lads visit with them for the $200 total for 4 nights. Be sure to explain if you do or do not smoke and do drugs, etc. It could also be a great way to meet someone and get more of an insider's view of the city.

Old May 1st, 2006, 10:25 AM

You can get beds in decent hostels for about $35 per night per bed - that's $70 per night for both of you in a room shared with other people. You will have lockers in which you can put your belongings.

Finding any decent hotel(I don;t mean pleasant - I mean that doesn;t rent by the hour) in NYC for under $200 per night (except in Jan/Feb) is essentially impossible - no matter what you do.

As far as food is concerned it depends on what you want to eat.

You can get a bagel and coffee to go for 99cents lots of places. If you're talking about a hot breakfast someplace you can sit down it will cost at least $12 per person per day. A McSomething meal is about $7 per person. Getting a sanwich, chips and soda from some deli - again to go - will be at least $10 each. So for 4 days that totals $230 for 4 days.

So - I think you're way underestimating. You haven't even allowed for an extra bottle of water or an ice cream or anything.

Some museums you can conribute what you want - or they offer special student rates - but many charge $10-$12 per person admission.

Transport - you can walk a lot - but getting to/fro from JFK is $30. And you will sometimes want the subway.

There will be no money for shopping.

I very much doubt you can do this trip for much less than $2000.
Old May 1st, 2006, 12:56 PM

I just booked a room at the Times Square Bed & Rooms, 356 W. 40th St., for the end of May. BTW, it's a hostel and it's within your budget. $38 + tax, per night, including towels. Free internet, but you have to pay the tax. Front desk people cordial. You would be in a 4 bed dorm, single sex. Excellent location: mid-town Manhattan, walking distance to a lot of attractions, not too far from Times Square. Do a Google search.

FYI, I looked high and low for a decent hostel in NYC. None of them are all that great, rooms are small, limited bathrooms, a lot of places don't have air conditioning and the front desk clerks are less than helpful and a lot of people have complained they're rude.

This hostel has it's flaws too, limited bathroom & small, but it's clean and has a 24 hr. manned desk, plus it's conveniently located and the people are not rude. A plus in NY!
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. It is a little disheartening to think how little you get for you money in NYC (and I´m used to Dublin prices which are also sky high) but I am still dying to go. I think I´ll go for the dorm option, staying with someone sounds really fun but my mom wouldn´t be thrilled with the idea.

nytraveler - do you know specific places where you can get deals like coffee and a bagel for 99c or happy hour meals? How much is a regular one trip subway ticket? It´s too early to worry but the little things add up.

I was thinking of staying one or two nights less which would free up some money so we could be less frugal during our time there. Maybe it is better to have less time and not have to worry about every penny. Last time we stayed 3 nights and it was fine. Staying 2 nights would mean a lot more money for dinner and so on, but is it too few? We could get a night flight to have a full day the first day but we´ll probably be jetlagged and exhausted. My original plan was to arrive at night and go right to bed. Also, the latest we can leave for upstate is 7-8pm on our last day. Some friends are saying it´s not worth going, but we´re going to see our family anyway and the bulk of the cost is plane tickets. Seems a shame to arrive in NYC and not get to stay there, it´s my favorite city. Am I being stupid? Is it worth it for 2-3 days?
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:34 AM
GoTravel

marioposa, I've flown to NYC just to have lunch so yes, I whole heartedly think it is worth going for two or three days.

I say go for two nights, shorten your time, and have more money.

Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:59 AM

I love Paris, but I wouldn't fly there for 2-3 days with a budget similar to yours. I'd save my money and go at a later time when I could afford to enjoy more things.

Just one opinion ...
Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:05 AM

I agree with Gekko. I just cannot imagine New York being a fun experience when you literally have to count/watch every penny before you spend it.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:43 AM

Gekko - I think you've missed the main point, though. mariposa85 and her brother are flying into NYC to see family elsewhere in New York state. That's a given, regardless of how much or little time they spend in NYC. The question is, is it worth making a stop in NYC of only 2-3 days, or should they stay longer and have less budget per day, or not go into NYC at all.

I would go and enjoy 2 nights in the city and have a little extra spending money. You definitely don't have to have 4 days in a place to enjoy it. And you've been before and will be back again probably, so just enjoy it without trying to feel like it might not be "enough".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -