Search

Budget for Maui

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Budget for Maui

What should I expect to spend on food in Hawaii if staying in the Wailea area? Also, is a car necessary? We are going to spend five days there with no real plans to do much of anything.

Thanks,
Dan
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 02:27 PM

You really do need a car to enjoy the sights of Maui.

Dining out in Wailea?---- about $150 per person per day.

Old Sep 18th, 2008, 03:44 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think you need a car on Maui.

Budget? Impossible to say without some idea what kinds of places you plan to eat. I can make it on $50-75/day but I don't go to fancy restaurants and do use the kitchen at a condo. Spend all my time just at the beach.

Old Sep 18th, 2008, 04:27 PM

I always say, "how much would food cost in your home town"? Clearly you can spend as little or as much as you want on food wherever you go. Sandwiches and fast food? Cereal in your room in the morning? Gourmet meals with fine wines? How can anyone come up with a budget?
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 04:46 PM

Suze and Patrick make good points. Are you staying in a condo? When I do, I eat breakfast in, pack a lunch and then usually have dinner out. I take advantage of early bird specials and meal coupons. And with a car, you can easily drive to Kihei for more reasonable dining.
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 05:50 PM

If you have a condo, you will spend as much as you do at home (remember, bring or get that Safeway card). A car is the best way to get to all the different beaches that offer different pleasures (snorkeling, turtles, boogeyboarding), let alone other sights (including restaurants, if you want to go out) and grocery shopping.
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

We will stay at the Four Seasons but do not plan on eating there all of the time (maybe once or twice).
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 07:11 PM

If you are staying at the Four Seasons, you will need a car.

And I will amend my meals budget. As there are few places around the Four Seasons to eat, other than at hotels, I will say $200 a day for two, maybe more, if you have cocktails/wine at dinner. It wouldn't be difficult to spend $300 a day on dining.
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 07:03 AM

My sister & her husband stayed at the Grand Wailea for a week & she was so disappointed that they hadn't rented a car (she was actually calling me from Maui telling me she was bored - okay she's not a huge lay on the beach/swim person - but her husband is!). She also commented on how expensive food/beverage is, but said when she walked across the street to a store, certain items like bottled H2O were much less than at the hotel. I think she said a fish sandwich or burger at Tommy Bahamas would run ~ $20.
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 08:10 AM

Just eat where the locals eat... ask the hotel help, parking guys, housekeeping... you will save hundreds and the food is excellent...
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 08:14 AM

It is a big PITA to get up, have to go get your car and drive around to stand in line to eat a less-expensive breakfast than the hotel...

Old Sep 19th, 2008, 08:24 AM
dmlove

It is a big PITA to get up, have to go get your car and drive around to stand in line to eat a less-expensive breakfast than the hotel...

Not to me! I never ever eat breakfast in a hotel. I just won't pay their ridiculous prices, not to mention that I'd much rather find a great local place.

Old Sep 19th, 2008, 09:05 AM
DB

Having a car makes for a better experience. There are a number of beaches to visit (Makena, Big Beach, etc.), let alone going to up to Black Rock or other places such as out to the lava field (which is a fairly short drive from Wailea). Also, it is only a short drive into Kihei where you can find decent more reasonable dining, and/or typical fast food places -- and the Foodland grocery store (ask for a Makai card to save money).

Old Sep 19th, 2008, 11:32 AM

Oh wow. Four Seasons. Don't pay attention to my budget stated above. I'm a condo staying, ABC Store eating kind of Hawaiian traveler!
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 11:55 AM

It's worth it to me to get up and have the hotel buffet breakfast at a leisurely pace, eat well, and then skip lunch.
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 11:56 AM
dmlove

Suze, it's true, when you see the word "budget" in the title, you automatically assume that someone wants to do something relatively inexpensively. I guess "budget" includes all budgets by definition

Old Sep 19th, 2008, 12:07 PM

I guess it can depend on the definition you're using...

Asking about a "budget" can simply mean "how much am I going to spend?"

While "budget" travel implies a more economical trip.

Only thing I can say for sure here is I would definitely want a rental car on Maui.

Old Sep 19th, 2008, 12:54 PM

Yes, those comments about "budget" ae certainly true.

DanM hasn't told us what kind of meals they were planning. I don't know if they were asking for a budget for dining in nice restaurants, or trying to save money and eating cold sanwiches from the Safeway store.
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 01:18 PM

Staying at the Four Seasons, I'd guess they would be going to some pretty nice restaurants. But I could be wrong.
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

We will probably eat in our room for breakfast with things purchased from the grocery store if we are up early enough to eat breakfast. Lunch will probably be out somewhere while hitting the sights with one day (the first day) probably by the pool. I would like to do a luau one night and plan to go to Chez Paul another, but that is about it. We are staying at the Four Seasons for the pampering, and I am willing to scrimp and save in other areas to make that happen. We are traveling on FF miles or we would not be going much less staying at the Four Seasons.

My wife returned to school six years ago to complete her BSat 29 and inbetween having our two kids. This is her graduation present from me, so while I am willing to spend some money on some things like a really nice place to stay that is on the beach with a great spa and pools, I want to save where possible.

By point of reference, we are usually the condo/vacation rental types whether we go to France or Colorado, but I want her to be able to have a good time. She really just wants to lay around and read and also go to Chez Paul, and I just want her to be happy. Other than Chez Paul, she will not care if the place is fancy or not just as long as the food is good.

I am glad to read that shopping for groceries will not be a problem and should allow us to stock up for breakfast and snacks.

As for the use of "budget", I think it depends on the structure of the phrase. "Budget for Maui" or "Maui Budget" versus "Maui on a Budget" of "Budget Maui".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -