Budget accommodations in Cambria, CA?

Old May 3rd, 1999, 07:35 AM
lisa

Budget accommodations in Cambria, CA?

My boyfriend and I are driving the coast of California in July and are looking for recommendations for good budget accommodations in Cambria for one night (mid-week), under $100 if possible. Prefer to be close to the ocean. Has anyone stayed anywhere they would recommend?

Old May 3rd, 1999, 11:28 AM
Judy

A suggestion for further (north) up the coast -- the Pigeon Point Lighthouse Hostel near Pescadero (415) 879-0633. Although mostly separate sex bunkrooms, there is one small very pleasant room with a double bed (and also some family rooms). The location of the hostel is lovely - next to the ocean - there's even an outdoor hot tub!!! We were there in May - it may be much busier in July.

Old Jun 18th, 1999, 01:24 PM
Gregg

I stayed at The Captain's Cove in Cambria June 14th. It was $115 for one night. Most of the seafront is a park for sea otters that is 50 feet wide. The Captains Cove is right across the street from the ocean. It was very nice. Cambria is cold, avg daytime temperature is 55 - 62 degrees and the wind blows off the ocean about 20 mph. Bring warm pants, sweatshirts, and jackets. It is very beautiful here. There are elephant seals on some of the rocks off the beach. 4-5 miles north of Cambria On Hwy 1 is a beach with 60 elephant seals you can view from about 30 feet away. It is marked by a sign saying Wildlife Viewing.
Cambria has a web page that lists all the hotels in town. Do a search for Cambria California.

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 09:39 AM
kam

Just stayed at the Fireside Inn on Moonstone Beach in Cambria a couple months ago. I remember it being less than $100, but could be wrong. There are lots and lots of accomodations in Cambria. Try also Morro Bay which is just south. Inland, San Luis Obispo has even more reasonably priced rooms as it is a college town. Get a AAA tour book and start looking.

Old Jun 24th, 1999, 09:39 AM
lisa

Thanks so much everybody for your suggestions! I did look at the Cambria website and called the Fireside Inn and Captain's Cove, but unfortunately there was nothing available in Cambria in a good location for under $100. (Price was a major consideration because the next night we're splurging by staying at the Ventana in Big Sur!). So we decided to stay in Morro Bay instead (found a room at a Best Western right by the Embarcadero for $79 including breakfast) and will stop to look around Cambria the following morning on our way to Hearst Castle. We leave in just over a week and will be gone for 10 days -- I'll post a trip report when we get back. Thanks again.