4th in DC Follow-up

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 08:37 PM
Greg

4th in DC Follow-up

As a follow-up to my previous post:
1. What are some good restaurants in the Dupont Circle area where kids are welcome and where dress is casual (shorts). We like ALL kinds of food, Chinese, Thai, Mexican, Italian, seafood, burgers.
2. What group or groups are playing on the 4th?
3. Is bus the best way to get to monuments at night as suggested?
BTW, I've tried to mail ilisa directly but it keeps getting returned. Thanks.

Old Jun 22nd, 1999, 04:27 AM
ilisa

Hi Greg! I don't know what groups are going to be playing on the 4th (I'll try to find out), but the National Symphony Orchestra will be playing, as always, at the Capitol. This is a very popular concert, and it is necessary to get to the Capitol very early in the day for good seats. Regarding the monuments at night, I have never taken a bus. Usually, we drive. At night (except for the 4th), there is relatively little traffic, so getting to and from the monuments poses no problem. If you won't have a car, the metro is convenient. Most of the monuments are in walking distance from one another. I know you may be concerned about safety, but I have walked the monuments at night many times with no problems. In fact, on a warm evening in the summer, you will find many people around doing the same thing. Oh, about the email, try emailing me at [email protected] if you would like to chat some more. The above is my work address, and apparently no outside email is going through. See, I go on maternity leave, and the world falls apart (just kidding - I'm not that arrogant!) For all those planning to spend the day on the Mall, remember, the Park Service has banned alchohol and furniture. Yes, furniture. People have been know to bring old sofas and chairs to watch the fireworks, and then leave them.

Old Jun 23rd, 1999, 10:02 AM
Jen

Go to Lauriol Plaza, an authentic Latin American/Cuban restaurant a few blocks from Dupont Circle. It is casual, has great food and outdoor seating.

Old Jun 23rd, 1999, 06:55 PM
s.fowler

Just back from DC and the Dupont Circle area. We like Raku, sort of an Asian "tapas" place on Q street. Teaism also looked good. The recommended Thai restaurant in the area is Sala Thai. We didn't get to it.

And thanks to the US forum-ites. We ended up taking the Washington Flyer, changing at the Convention Center to the free hotel shuttle. We took it to the Hilton and walked the 2 blocks to the Normandy Inn. It wasn't fast, but the price was right and the service good. There was a blue "super shuttle" waiting at the airport, but the driver was asleep, so we gave it a pass.

Old Jun 24th, 1999, 08:23 AM
B.Irving

I haven't seen it mentioned & I am sure you have thought about it, but just in case you haven't, I will bring up the subject of crowds. Just be prepared for them. DC will be much more crowded during that time, than other times during the summer. I have been to the 4th of July celebration on the Mall & there was upwards of 300,000 people in the area for the celebration. Just take precautions as you would in any crowded situation. By the way, I really enjoyed the 4th in DC, in spite of the crowds, or maybe because of the crowds.

Old Jun 24th, 1999, 08:28 AM
lisa

1. Lauriol Plaza (the Latin American place on the northeast corner of 18th & S Streets NW) is excellent and casual but often has extremely long waits for tables after 7 pm, so get there earlier. Raku (the Asian diner on the southwest corner of 19th & Q, NW) is pretty good too -- make sure you try the sticky rice with mango for dessert. Another reasonable place for all-American fare (burgers, sandwiches, salads, etc.) is the Childe Harold, on the west side of Connecticut Ave. just north of the Q Street entrance to the Dupont Circle metro station. All of the above places have both indoor and outdoor seating. A few blocks south of Dupont Circle there is a California Pizza Kitchen (yes, it's a chain restaurant, but kids seem to love it). The best Chinese place in the city happens to be in Dupont also, which is City Lights, on the east side of Connecticut Ave. a few blocks north of the Q Street entrance to the metro.
2. Don't know -- sorry -- just buy a Washington Post when you get here and it should have lots of information (especially in the Friday weekend section).
3. The best way to see the monuments at night is either to take a group tour like the Tourmobile -- where you can get on and off -- or just to walk. You can drive, cab, or take the metro down to the Mall (e.g. Smithsonian station) and then walk to the Washington monument (which looks pretty funky now with its artsy scaffolding), then walk down the mall to the Lincoln. The one that's hardest (farthest) to walk to is the Jefferson, but to my mind that is the best one to see at night because from there you have a great view both across the river and also of the city.

Old Jun 24th, 1999, 09:03 AM
lisa

Just a few other thoughts:
I'm sure you've heard about the folklife festival on the mall during the daytime for the weeks around July 4. DON'T MISS IT!!! This is my absolute favorite thing to do here and I've lived here for 5 years and never miss it. It is a great way to introduce your kids to various cultures, and it attracts a wide variety of ages, ethnicities, etc. (They usually focus on a couple of foreign countries and a couple of U.S. states or regions.) There is wonderful food and music and dancing and arts and crafts. Bring your camera because the people-watching is the best. Make sure you buy a lime fizz. Bring some bottled water because it's usually hot and you get thirsty fast. I usually go to the folklife festival all day on the 4th and then flee the Mall before the crowds descend for the fireworks that night. The fireworks are definitely worth watching but be prepared for how crowded it will be. (Think New Year's Eve in Times Square). Impossible to get a cab, crushing crowds on the metro, etc. Just be extremely patient. It is fun to watch them from the Iwo Jima/Netherlands Carillion because it's less crowded there, but then you don't get the full effect of the symphony orchestra, etc.

Also, if you want a fantastic view of the city, go to the open-air rooftop restaurant at the Hotel Washington at around 15th St. & Penn. (across the street from the Treasury Bldg., about a block from the White House). Don't go there on July 4 because it will be too crowded, but on another nice warm day or evening for lunch or just a drink/snack. The food is casual, limited (salads, sandwiches, burgers, fruit and cheese), and overpriced but it really does have an incredible view. From its vantage point overlooking the White House lawn, I have seen the President take off in his helicopter.

For more food options not far from Dupont Circle, try taking the metro one stop up (the next stop north on the Red Line) to Woodley Park-Zoo. (This is especially convenient if you were planning to go to the National Zoo anyway, which I highly recommend -- I was just there a couple of weeks ago with a 7-year-old friend of mine.) A wide variety of ethnic restaurants line both sides of the street right across from the Woodley metro stop and most of them are very good. My absolute favorite is Lebanese Taverna, which is (in my opinion) one of the best restaurants in the city. It is casual and has outdoor seating, but get there early because it's hard to get a table after 7 and they don't take reservations. This is one of the few restaurants in the city with consistently excellent service. The food is marvelous. For an appetizer try the Arabic bread and the hummus special (hummus topped with ground spiced lamb, pine nuts, olive oil and sumac) or the stuffed grape leaves. The best entree is the sharhat ghanam (sliced lamb and potatoes with garlic and lemon). The portions are large and you can share them or have leftovers. They also have good desserts. I have taken lots of out-of-towners here and they consistently rave about the food. After you stuff yourselves there you can even walk back to Dupont Circle if you have the energy; it's downhill and takes about 20 minutes. Remember: try to get there by 6:30 to get a table.

That's all. Have a great time in my beloved city!

Old Jun 24th, 1999, 09:59 AM
cheryl

This year's Folklife Festival will focus on Romania, South Africa, and New Hampshire. I don't know how the food will be, but the music should be great. We always really enjoy the festival.