Buckhead (Atlanta)?

Old Dec 29th, 2003, 08:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buckhead (Atlanta)?

Recent posts advised bullet proof vests if visiting Buckhead area in Atlanta. It used to be so posh - what happened?
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 04:20 AM

Still one of the best areas of Atlanta...I'm not sure what you're talking about.

The bar zone has been over-run a bit by it's own popularity, but I wouldn't worry at all about sleeping, eating, shopping, etc. in Buckhead.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 04:22 AM

What happened?

Probably someone over reacting to a single incident or something equally silly. To suggest that you need bullet proof vests in Buckhead reminds me of the people who say if you go to New York's Time Square be sure to carry a gun, or the people who say if tourists go to Miamin they should expect to be mugged and/or murdered. In other words, I'd call it an abusurd comment.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 05:28 AM
GoTravel

Buckhead is dangerous in that you may be harmed when Neiman Marcus has a sale in the designer shoe department. I got pushed, shoved, and jostled by two matrons over a pair of pink alligator Manolo Blahniks. It was quite scary.

Old Dec 30th, 2003, 05:38 AM

There have been a number of "incidents" in Buckhead over the last few years. The city of Atlanta and other local factions have debated for months ( or longer) on closing times of bars, beefing up police, widening sidewalks, etc.

Buckhead has gotten a little too big for their britches, or at least some people think so.

It's still less busy than South Beach.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 05:41 AM
GoTravel

I can't see where you would find Buckhead less busy than South Beach? South Beach is about 1/10th the size of Buckhead. Buckhead traffic is horrendous 24/7. Buckhead is its own metropolis where South Beach is a twenty block beach community. Buckhead has things like hospitals and industry. South Beach has nightclubs. Night and day.

Old Dec 30th, 2003, 06:42 AM

Sounds like the relatives over the holidays may be getting on some of your nerves. This question often comes up on this board as many people recommend the hotels near Lenox Mall. Buckhead is a large community within the Atlanta metropolitan area. It contains the governor's mansion along with many private upscale homes, Lenox and Phipps malls, hotels such as Ritz Carlton, office buildings, etc. In the center of Buckhead is a bar/nightclub/restaurant neighborhood where Peachtree St, Roswell Rd, West Paces Ferry, and Pharr Rd intersect. This is a couple of miles SW of Lenox Mall. In recent years there have been a few high profile shootings at bar closing including celebrity athletes and rap artists as well as some pedestrian/motorcyle/auto accidents and fatalities as people and cruising vehicles on Peachtree St interact late at night.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 06:49 AM

Kay2 has given you the REAL scoop on Buckhead-

Listen to her and be aware of your surroundings.. I have good friends who live in Atlanta and they do NOT frequent some areas of Buckhead where the late nite bars are located due to the highly escalted crime...lots of celebrity siting and rap artists --and that has attracted some crime...

But if you still want to go to a fine dinner in Buckhead, that is fine...

As far a going to Neimans or to Phipps Plaza, you should be fine..just be aware of your surroundings when walking to your car...Usually no problems there..
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 10:51 AM

In my opinion these comments warning people about crime in Buckhead are crazy. Buckhead is the poshest place in Atlanta and probably the entire southeast (excluding FLA). This is where old money lives and new money parties. I have spent a lot of time in Buckhead and never felt the slightest bit of danger -- even late at night around the bars. I love the area and would highly recommend it as a place to shop, eat, drink, and stay.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 11:28 AM

I think some people are confusing Buckhead (the whole area which it encompasses, which includes a some great old houses and two very nice shopping malls) and the "nightclub" Buckhead. The nightclub Buckhead is about a three-four street section, which has Peachtree Rd on one side (and top) and Piedmont Road on the other.

This area is jammed with bars, restaurants, and people. Do I think this area is any more dangerous than any other area with late night bars? No! Do I think bad things will occasionally happen there? Yes! Such is life.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 12:43 PM
GoTravel

I'm following you now Jack. When someone says Buckhead, I think the whole shebang and not just a bar area.

A bit of trivia. When Steve Avery was a starting pitcher with the Braves, I met him at American Pie in Buckhead after the game. I actually met him at the game but he asked my girlfrind and me out. I danced with him and gave him my phone number. He called, I never called him back.

Old Dec 30th, 2003, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

GoTravel, my friends always compliment me on those pink alligator Manolo Blahniks. Sorry about your shin.

I guess mama was right when she said nothing good ever happened after midnight in Atlanta.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 01:21 PM
CalgirlSusan

I don't know much about Atlanta, but thanks to a message above, I've been able to create a post that can apply to any city.

"Listen to her and be aware of your surroundings.. I have good friends who live in __________(fill in any city) and they do NOT frequent some areas of ___________(fill in the city again) where the late nite bars are located due to the highly escalted crime...lots of celebrity siting and rap artists --and that has attracted some crime...

But if you still want to go to a fine dinner in __________(repeat city name), that is fine...

As far as going to ___________________(enter name of local high end shopping center), you should be fine..just be aware of your surroundings when walking to your car...Usually no problems there..

Now, does anybody see any reason why this message would apply to Buckhead or Atlanta any more than any other city you can think of?

Old Dec 30th, 2003, 01:23 PM
GoTravel

wsox, glad you like the shoes. The cuts and bruises did finally heal.

Old Dec 30th, 2003, 02:51 PM

The original thread was in reference to the bar scene in Buckhead and that's what we're discussing here. Buckhead bars have always been a bit rowdy, but never as bad as now as of late there have been some fatal shootings. Midtown bars are a little safer to frequent now than Buckhead. But the area itself is as posh as ever.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 07:47 PM

CalgirlSusan-

Sorry if I offended you, but I was trying to honestly answer wsoxrebel and Kay2 was RIGHT on the money about the area ( ie. the bar scene)..and yes, I have been to Atlanta many times..and yes, I do look at my surroundings prior to walking to the car..

Yes, it is generic, but the Buckhead Bar scene answer in relation to the crime was an actuality and should be listened to..
Old Jan 1st, 2004, 12:08 PM

Unless things have changed a lot in the 4 years since I lived in Atlanta, Buckhead is pretty dull and generic. If you want some interesting and fun nightlife, try Little 5 Points or Virginia Highlands (the latter being the tamer of the two).