Bryce\zion lodging advice help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2008, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we will be travelling with our parents and 3 year old (labor day week) to GC\Bryce\Zion etc.
In bryce and zion we are thinking of staying outside the park(In GC we'll be staying inside the park). In Bryce we are thinking between Bryce View Lodge & BW ruby's. Do anyone out there please advise us on these. And in Zion we are thinking of the Quality Inn.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 09:01 AM

Bryce View Lodge is owned and operated by Ruby's, so you have access to everything on the Ruby's property but you'll have to walk or drive across the highway to get there. BV Lodge wasn't great, just OK but it's cheaper than Ruby's. It kind of depends on whether you'd rather save money and stay at BV Lodge, or spend a little more but also be a little closer to the restaurants, pool, etc. at Ruby's.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 09:11 AM

We recently stayed in Springdale at the west entrance to Zion NP at the Best Western Zion Park Inn. We were pleased with our room. There is a nice pool but no breakfast.

This motel has two restaurants--a bar/grill and a very nice dining room where we had an excellent dinner.

There are other dining options within walking distance.

The only grocery store in Springdale is in a below-street level strip mall at the east end of town. There is a Thai restaurant in the mall which was closed while we were in town.

Old Mar 31st, 2008, 09:12 AM

Can't help with Bryce but when we were at Zion in 2006, we stayed at Desert Pearl Inn in Springdale. It was wonderful and the free bus to the park picked you up right in front. I would definately stay there again.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 09:38 AM

I second the desert pearl.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 10:29 AM

Stay in the parks! You will regret it if you don't....especially at Bryce.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

placeu2,
the reason I am reluctant to stay inside the bryce park is because they don't have A\C. I will be going there on labor day week and with my 3 year old.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 10:54 AM
OO

I've only been in November so A/C wasn't a factor but are you sure they don't have AC in Zion Lodge? There is heat and where there's heat, AC would be so easy, unless it just isn't needed.

I'm glad you are staying in the park at the GC. Good plan. We've stayed at Yavapai, Bright Angel, and once outside. Would never stay outside again.

We've only done Bryce once, and would have stayed in the park had they had availability, but there was none. We stayed at Ruby's which was fine, and our building was next to a very pretty little lake.

At Zion we've stayed outside the park once at Cliffrose, fine, and inside the park once at Zion Lodge, and the next time we go we'll definitely stay in the park again. It is magical at night and the early morning. To see those cliff walls rising up in the moonlight...it's just incredible! Such peace and quiet--and wonderful to be part of it all when the majority of the tourists have left.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 10:57 AM

bj,

You shouldn't need A/C at Bryce during Labor Day - it's at 8,000 ft. For any of these locations, whether in the park or not, you better hurry and get reservations. Labor Day sells out.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 11:35 AM

Another vote for the Desert Pearl Inn in Springdale (for Zion). Although we've booked for Flanigan's Inn this year, this is just for a 'change' as the DP was wonderful. Springdale is a lovely little town.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 12:10 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I second what Dayle said.

Bryce is over 8,000 feet up. I can't see needing A/C in the evening.

A big difference staying in-park or not.

If they're booked up, call, call call every day until you get what you need.

In Zion I stayed in park. Nothing special but very easy to get around when you're in the middle of the park.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 02:22 PM

We stayed at Bryce View Lodge in October and it was fine. Our room was spacious, clean, comfortable and about 2/3 the price of staying at Ruby's Inn.

Lee Ann
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 03:28 PM

We just stayed in a cabin in Zion and there was air conditioning. It is definitley a great experience to stay in the park! We went out to look at the stars and were simply amazed by how many we were able to see.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 04:43 PM

We adore the Desert Pearl. WONDERFUL place!!!
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 05:56 PM
OO

Kerry...did you stay in one of the cabins with porch and fireplace? They look wonderful and what we hope to rent next time. How did you like it?
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

thanks everyone! We've decided to stay within the park at Bryce and I am going to call them today
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 03:24 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
bjtravel,

There's a good chance the lodge at Bryce is fully booked.

Don't give up.

Call daily or twice daily. They may tell you cancellations are few.

I don't believe that. Tours book blocks of rooms and then eventually release the ones they can't sell.
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 03:34 PM

Our room at Flanigans was huge, almost like a suite and very enjoyable. We arrived in Springdale mid morning and we were allowed to park in the hotel lot. The bus to the park stops right across the street.
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 04:51 PM

OO- Our cabin had a small porch and a fireplace; 2 cabins are connected but they each have their own porch. The cabin was cute but it was small. It has 2 double beds and a desk- no tv. There is a bathroom with a sink and shower as well as a separate sink area. The fire place is gas. We liked the cabin but it would be crowded for more than 2 people!
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Cool - I booked at the bryce park lodge and we are going to stay in one of the hotels outside of zion in springdale!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -