Bryce Canyon & Zion Canyon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are going to the Utah area with another couple from Sept. 29-Oct. 9, 2006. We are planning on spending a lot of time in Bryce Canyon & Zion Canyon plus try to see Arches, Monument Valley, Lake Powell, Grand Canyon and Coral Pink Sand Dunes. We have never been to the Southwest USA and I would appreciate any advice on things that we should do while we are in the area.
Thanks.
Bill
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 12:08 PM
maw

First off..just start searching any of your destinations in the forum here and you'll find a WEALTH of info from previous threads..get ready to take notes! Some of the info is extremely recent so you may not get a ton of replies.
Are you driving or flying to the area?
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 01:12 PM

If you are flying in, then Las Vegas would probably be the best place to land. I'd do a big circle which could be done in either direction.

Las Vegas to Grand Canyon will take about 5 hours. With your limited amount of time and all the places you want to see, I'd only spend one night at the Grand Canyon.

You can spend some time at the Grand Canyon the day you drive to Lake Powell. At Lake Powell you can take a float trip on the Colorado River (1/2 day) or boat tours which range from a couple of hours to all day. There is Upper Antelope Slots Canyon which takes about 1 1/2 hours and the 3/4 mile hike to Horseshoe Bend.

Monument Valley you can drive yourselves on the dirt roads in the park or take a guide tour. The guide tours can go to some places that you can't access on your own.

Arches is just 4 miles from the town of Moab. There's a lot to do in this area. I would also recommend stopping at Canyonlands National Park (Island in the Sky District) If time permits drive scenic Hwy 128 to Fisher Towers. You can take a river rafting trip on the Colorado River. Drive the Potash Road (279) to see petroglyphs.

From Arches to Bryce, I'd make a quick stop at Capitol Reef National Park near Torrey and then drive scenic hwy 12 down to Bryce.

You are only going to have a short time in each location. I've never been to Coral Pink Sand Dunes State park.

You are going at a fantastic time of the year...infact we might be in the area at the same time!

Utahtea

Old Jul 7th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

We are flying into Montrose, Colorado, on 9/29/06 and renting a car for the trip but flying out of Las Vegas coming home on 10/9/06.

Also, how is the hike up Angels Landing in Zion National Park?
The views look incredible and the path looks dangerous but it looks like a lot of people young and old taking the hike in the pictures.

Thanks for the information.

Bill
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 06:18 PM

We've never done the Angels Landing hike...well not all the way. Last year we started but DH started having knee problems so we didn't get that far but what we did climb was VERY steep!

OK, Montrose...were you going to try and drive the Million Dollar Highway (550) down to Durango or go north to I-70 to get to Arches?

Durango route will be a lot of scenic mountain driving and almost 100 miles longer. If you go up to Grand Junction then exit I-70 at Cisco, Utah and take scenic Hwy 128 into Moab.

Anyways from Moab you will want to go down to Monument Valley, then Grand Canyon, Page, Bryce, Zion and Las Vegas.

Utahtea
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 06:57 PM

We just returned from Zion. My husband hiked Angels Landing and said if he had been afraid of heights he would not have been able to do it. Many people stop at the chains..its not physically difficult..more mentally challenging I believe.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 06:52 AM

Because you are visiting so many national parks you might want to consider getting a National Parks pass. Costs $50 per calendar year good for free admission to everyone in car for entrance fees only. Can pick up at your first stop or get it through AAA for $48. If over 62 can get the Golden Age Passport for $10 (lifetime) which also offers discounts on camping and other fees. (get details at www.nps.gov/parks/passes_fees.htm)

An excellent source of information for all parks, historical areas etc is the park web site www.nps.gov. Pull down to whatever park you want. Lists information on just about anything you want to know about the park.

The cottonwoods might be turning near the end of your trip. Prettiest highway you can image is Utah 12 which runs between Capitol Reef Nat'l Park to just past Bryce Canyon.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 07:00 AM

Which side of the Grand Canyon are you planning on? We just visited the North Rim in May and thought it spectacular. Crowded but not as packed as I remember the South Rim in October 1996. We stayed in a western cabin, which I highly recommend. Comfortable, with a porch and rocking chairs (might be too cool to use the porch much then, but you never know). The lodge dining room looks over the canyon-wow!

Stay in Bryce if you can, but for Zion, we thought Springdale was great. More food options and the shuttle bus was like your private, free taxi service (check to see how far into the fall it runs, though).

It's just wonderful scenery just about everywhere you turn!
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

We are spending one night at the Grand Canyon Lodge on the North Rim. We also heard that it was not as crowded.

Still have not decided about Angels Landing but I also think it will be a mental decision when we get there.

Thanks for all of the great information.

Bill
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 05:00 PM

My boyfriend did the hike..as for myself once I laid my eyes on the chains, my feet froze! I'm a hiker but do sometimes chicken out stuff like that. I watched his ascent with binoculars - and met many friendly people as I did so I might add. Just loved Zion!!!

Utahtea had given us such great information on drivetimes, last call places to stop for gas (important to know), etc. - you will find all of that in the searches.

Have fun!
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 07:56 PM

We did a 2 week Utah parks trip last summer and I couldn't agree more on spending lots of time in Zion and Bryce. Do a search for those words "Zion" and Bryce" and read the excellent trip reports.

My top recommendations from my family's trip is
1) buy camelback type backpacks for water
2) see things by foot if possible
3) Be sure to hike a slot canyon (Antelope canyon is stunning, but often crowded - there's some more isolated ones that will take your breath away).
4) our favorite place ever that we've stayed in all our travels is "Grant Gulch" a rental house with amazing views just outside of Zion.

Have a fantastic time (you will!!)
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 05:13 AM

If it turns out that Angels Landing is too intimidating, consider Hidden Canyon trail. Still not for the severely heights challenged but doable and fantastic. One of the other hikes we did that does not receive a lot of discussion was Canyon Overlook. Do this as early in the day as possible.

Zion, Bryce and GC North was one of our most memorable trips.
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 08:43 AM

A little more on Angels Landing. My entire family hiked it (ages 14 to 52, 4 gals, 2 guys). If you take your time and bring lots of water and a snack or two the view is amazing and the sense of accomplishment you get from doing a difficult hike like that is an awesome feeling. However, the concerns people have expressed are valid and, if you are afraid of heights this may not be the type of hike you should try. The pictures I have from that hike are my favorite of any.
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 09:49 AM

Just a note on Angel's Landing - you can still enoy the awesome views without going all the way to the top. If you hike as far as Scout's Lookout you will still be doing the steep "Walter's Wiggles", but you can see the views and avoid the chains. Well worth going this far, which is most of the way.

Happy trails! If going during hot weather - go VERY early and take more water than you ever imagine you will need. Snacks are just as important. Hat, sunscreen.
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 04:38 PM

Here is a great website that can help you with information you need for Zion Canyon.. http://www.zioncanyonreservations.com
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 05:27 PM

Oh my...where to start. The Grand Circle. That's what it is "officially" called. The prior post about flying to Vegas as the start is right on. TRY to rent a convertable and keep the top down once you leave Cedar City! Remember that much of your trip will be up in the 5,000-9,000 foot level along with the portion of the desert valley part. SPECTACULAR views. A spiritual trip for those of us with Native American blood. Cedar City, UT is a good first nights stay after arrival in Vegas that allows you to get several hours under your belt and out of town. The first days drive thru Zion is awesome and a very full day! You can see the beauty, side trip or two, lunch, etc and then a pretty long drive to Page, AZ. The Glen Canyon Recreation area is very nice but closer to "OK". Page is a place to arrive at dark! Not much there but a good night's sleep and several typical hotels. The next morning be sure to go to Antelope Slot Canyon on the way out of town towards Monument Valley. In Monument Valley, book a night at Gouldings Lodge (see their web site). It is the most expensive stay on the trip but well worth the experience. It took us almost 3 hours to go the 17 miles thru Monument Valley because we couldn't stop taking pictures and feeling the Navajo spirits! Just fantastic.
From there, excellent days drive north/NW to stay the night in Torrey, UT. Next 2 nights in Bryce. You must go to EVERY view spot in the park and plan on filling up about 2-3 gigs of digital picture space on the trip! From there, West thru Cedar Breaks and down the mountain to the desert for the drive back to Vegas. Spend a night in Vegas, or 2, and head home. It is a great trip and while it does NOT include the Grand Canyon, trust me, after that trip you can look down on the GC from the plane and say "My, isn't that nice!"
The Circle is just over 1,000 miles and worth every minute. The other parks and stops mentioned previously are all a part of the trip.
We have lived in AZ and this trip was SPECTACULAR! Safe travels. The night is beautiful with the top down and NO CITY LIGHTS to reduce your view.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 08:26 AM

Hansboomer,

If you are recommending a first night stay in Cedar City, the a first day's drive through Zion - that will involve backtracking about an hour's drive. When driving from LV, you will reach Zion before Cedar City. Staying in Springdale is definitely preferable over Cedar City.