Bryant Park area - nice Saturday lunch/brunch

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're (50ish couple, 17yo DD) coming up to the city from Baltimore with the hordes on a Sat in December. Our bus drops us off at 10:30 am at 46th and Broadway. Plan to go to the holiday mart at Bryant Park first for a couple hours, then walk up 5th Ave to Saks/St Pats, then DH has his sights on the Met for most of the afternoon with seeing the tree lighting at 4:30pm. DD wants a "fancy lunch" (for her, setting is everything, food secondary-- but we like good food, too). We plan to get a quick dinner at the Met cafeteria or one of the fast places at Rock Ctr before our 6:30 bus home, so lunch will be our one "nice" meal of the day.

I've checked out the suggestions on this thread for nice brunch (Nougatine, Petrosian, Gramercy Tavern) and while these look superb and lovely, none are really on our route. Given our tight schedule, I'd rather find a good option (even if not at these gastro heights) closer to where we'll already be.

So Fodorites, what do you suggest? I'm putting us in the greater Bryant Park area for our lunch/brunch around 11:30/noon. I realize that this area of town doesn't have the best food options, but surely, there must be some hidden mid-town gems?? Remember, it needs to "look fancy"; extra points for great food though we'd settle for very good. No chains, please.
Old Nov 19th, 2009, 04:06 PM

Bryant Park Grill! Good mid quality food, if not the Gramercy Tavern genre; another on East 32d is Artisanal, great bistro ambiance & delicious food but this may be too far off your path. Pick up cupcakes from Magnolia at Rock. Center for the long ride home. Curious, what is "17yo DD" and DH v. DD? Another option, have brunch at the Boat House before or a quick bite after the Met rather than in the cavernous basement Met cafeteria.
Old Nov 19th, 2009, 04:56 PM

At any real restaurant you'll have trouble being served before noon - unless the place serves brunch - then they'll have that instead of lunch. Not sure if you want a brunch or a real lunch and your budget.

Rock Center Cafe is right on your route and serves both lunch and brunch on Sat. You can check out the details on menupages.com.
Old Nov 19th, 2009, 05:09 PM

Aureole just moved there. I have not been to this location and the immediate reviews were that it was not as good as the original. But it is the type of upscale dining to which your daughter aspires.
Old Nov 20th, 2009, 12:50 AM

I just checked Bryant Park Grill at opentable.com & you may reserve as early as 11:30 a.m. I've done brunch there on a Saturday & it just might fit your parameters since you will
be there for the markets anyway.
Aureole @ $86 p.p. doesn't appeal; the room doesn't look
special; just super-modern.
Old Nov 20th, 2009, 04:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your replies! These sound like fabulous options.

Aureole has a 3 course prix fixe lunch for $34pp which is fine for us--might be just the ticket! I'll also check out Bryant Park Grill and Rock Center Cafe after I work--need to run now.

Aliced, would the Boat House be a "quick dinner"? At that hour, we're just going to need to basically grab dinner and go.

Thanks again for your thoughts!
Old Nov 20th, 2009, 05:24 AM

Boat house is good but wouldn't be quick anything. Doesn't make much sense for you.
Old Nov 20th, 2009, 05:31 AM

Make sure you stop in at the Map exhibit in the Public Library behind the Bryant Park Grill and go to their gift shop as well.
Old Nov 20th, 2009, 06:19 AM

Another possibility: db Bistro Moderne (44st bet 5th and 6th) - a Daniel Boulud operation noted for a $32 burger to end all burgers - you can check their lunch menu et al at danielnyc.com
Old Nov 20th, 2009, 07:54 AM

I was also going to suggest db, one of our favs. Fun vib, sort of cushy ambiance and great food. Try the lobster salad.
P
Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 03:11 PM

I mentioned the Boat House to perhaps pick up some food from their cafe or Express bar; same view at fraction of price and time; it's a lovely walk in from Fifth Ave. Just a thought. Good news about Aureole.
Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 07:50 PM

For the special lunch you might try Tavern on the Green, not TOO far from Bryant Park, and you can take the B train and get off at 72nd St. That will WOW DD.

There's not alot in the Bryant Park area, but you might try Cafe 1,2,3 which is on W. 43rd between 6th and 7th. Good food, and good service, and close to where you will be.

Have fun while you are here.