Brush Off -or- Business As Usual ?

Jun 19th, 2003, 01:06 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 7
Brush Off -or- Business As Usual ?

Thought I'd relate an interesting experience I had with the Grape Leaf Inn in Healdsburg. I'm feeling a bit miffed, but am wondering if I am being too sensitive about the whole thing.

Last Thursday I called for a reservation for a weekend in July. I asked which rooms were avaialable in the newer wing with king beds. I was told that four of the five were available, checked the descriptions, and picked one. My credit card was charged for the one night deposit.

Two days later, I received an email on the weekend, saying that a mistake had been made. Evidently, someone had taken a tentative booking for a party of 8, and all 4 remaining rooms in the new wing. Another room was suggested to me, but from the website, all the rooms in the original main house looked either cramped to me, or had queen beds. I declined to choose one, and then was told, the inn would contact me after the other parties made their final decision.

Well, I guess the others decided to book, and I lost my room. The inn did offer to include a bottle of champagne if I stayed in one of their older, smaller rooms, but I was left with the feeling of too little too late. I can imagine that they'd rather book four rooms than one, but I still felt I was treated shabbily. I requested a refund for my deposit.

What do you make of this? Is it standard operating procedure in hotels or inns? Or do you think my deposit should have held the room of my choice from the late-comers?

TwoCents is offline  
Jun 19th, 2003, 01:14 PM
Posts: n/a
No, this is not standard operating procedure for a hotel. If the Inn charged you a deposit of one night's room and tax on a specific room, that room is yours. If the hotel cannot deliver, it has a couple of choices. It can provide you with and equal room of maybe a different type (instead of a garden view suit they could substitute and oceanfront room), an upgrade for the lower category room price, or refund your money.

Independently owned hotels don't hold tentative reservations for specific rooms. If they did, the room you requested would not have come up in availability and they would lose a lot of money.

I would hold their feet to the fire.
Jun 19th, 2003, 02:21 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,873
I must disagree - this is not a large hotel. It is a B&B with 10 or 12 rooms. It sounds to me like they made an honest mistake.

And even if it wasn't, there isn't very much you can do about it.

The other parties also presumably put down deposits - so you are no more entitled to that specific room than they are.

It is too bad but mix ups do happen - I'd take the smaller room and see if they would up the compensation to more than the champagne. Or just take your deposit back and TRY to find something as nice (hard to do)
janis is offline  
Jun 19th, 2003, 02:24 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,873
Wanted to add -- "Independently owned hotels don't hold tentative reservations for specific rooms" -- since when?

That is very a common practice - especially in B&Bs and resort areas where the views and amenities can be very different from room to room.
janis is offline  
Jun 19th, 2003, 02:33 PM
Posts: n/a
janis, if was a tentative booking as TwoCents posted, one can assume they did not put down a deposit.
Jun 19th, 2003, 03:00 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,305
Obviously, one or two things happened.
1. It was an honest mistake.
2. The owner got a call from someone who wanted four rooms, including the one that TwoCents had booked. And, he/she didn't want to give up such a lucrative booking.
Legally, I don't think you have any claim. If it was me, I would have insisted on a lower rate for the smaller room.....and accepted the bottle of champagne.
HowardR is offline  
Jun 19th, 2003, 03:27 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 7
I did really want to stay at the Grape Leaf, but in the newer, larger rooms with nicer amenities. And, if those were not originally available, I probably would have considered the main house. But I really felt it was an odd coincidence that the error wasn't discovered until 2 days later, and suspect Howard's #2 scenario was what took place. So, feeling a bit put out, I decided that I could certainly find another place with a decent room for $300 a night! I certainly didn't want to push the point and arrive with all of us having bad feelings; that certainly would put a damper on the weekend. At least they were honest up front, and we didn't arrive unsuspecting for a switch! But I did find the whole experience rather unpleasant.

TwoCents is offline  
Jun 19th, 2003, 03:29 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 7
For using "certainly" so many times, I'm feeling rather UNCERTAIN about the whole thing!
(Sorry... should have previewed.)
TwoCents is offline  
Related Topics
Original Poster
Last Post
Sep 21st, 2004 10:47 AM
United States
Aug 29th, 2004 07:24 PM
Jul 9th, 2004 11:27 AM
Apr 29th, 2003 06:49 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:03 AM.