Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Asking to see the room before you book for the evening - acceptable?

Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We spent 3 weeks in France/Switzerland about 10 years ago. At the time, we traveled with no itinerary and just found a different place to stay each night. I seem to recall asking to see the room before we committed to staying at a hotel/B&B each evening.

I remember this being standard/acceptable practice at the time. Is this still the case or is it considered rude?

Thank you recent travelers!
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 07:34 AM

I have always asked to see a room if i just show up and have never picked up on any approbation from the desk.

I think it is perfectly acceptable and even expected.
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 07:35 AM

>>Is this still the case
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 07:40 AM

Small hotels and B&Bs expect you to view the room before committing to stay. It's still standard procedure.
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 08:00 AM

I usually ask to see the room, rarely have I found the room unacceptable but now and then it's good to ask.
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 08:10 AM

As above.

Note: Savvy hoteliers bring a couple of room keys with them. If there is something you aren't crazy about in the first, they will promptly show you the second. Frequently the second room has been nicer, in my experience. At least that way you have a choice.

Only once have I not stayed, and I didn't want to see a second room such was the shocking condition of the room. Not only no, but hell no! Ah, the wonders of impromptu travels.
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 10:03 AM

Frequently the second room has been nicer, in my experience. At least that way you have a choice.>

me too

and perhaps hoteliers naturally want to try to dump their least attractive/desirable (street noise, etc) first to leave a better one for more discriminating travelers coming later?
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 10:33 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
It has alays been accepable to ask to see the room anywhere in the world that I have been. It does not surprise or offend hoteliers. I have not asked to see a room in Europe or North America ahead of time for many years now, but more than once I have returned immediately to change room (for a valid reason of course). In developing countries, it is often important to inspect the room first.
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 12:22 PM

I sometimes do, but sometimes do not. It depends on the type of hotel, obviously, in some of them the rooms aren't that different, so it doesn't matter. As kerouac, I have sometimes returned without using the room if there is something about it I specifically do not like (ie, I ask for a quiet room, away from stairs/elevators, and they give me a room right next to it--this happens sometimes because the clerks just don't care or think about it).

I also don't do it much if I'm only going to be there 1-2 nights and really, the rooms can't be that different if you know the location (floor, front or rear, etc.).

I think if you are just dropping in without reservations, sure you can do it, why not, if you don't necessarily want to stay there. I think they may expect it for people off the street, actually.

Sometimes you can't do it as they don't have more than one available and they will tell you that -- ie, you cannot be picky, we don't have any vacancies.
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 01:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
We were in Salzburg last summer looking for a room. when we found a likely looking hotel, we asked to see a room and were given then key by the girl on reception with no problem.

if they won't let me look at the room, I'm not going to book.
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 05:58 PM

Ditto annhig. The desk clerk usually gives me the key because they can't leave the front desk. I've never been refused a look. While checking the room I test the plumbing, punch the mattress, and look out the window to make sure I am not overlooking a busy boulevard or a disco. Learned all that by experience.
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 11:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
not only did we get to inspect the room, but because we were a late show, we got a really good rate - €70 per night including breakfast and garage parking in Salzburg in July. we weren't exactly in the middle but we were still within walking distance of everything.

sometimes, it pays not to have booked.
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 11:36 AM

As a former receptionist I was used to give a key or 2 when I couldn't leave my desk. No problem with that
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 11:45 AM

Coco, bonjour!

My favorite hotel in Rome became my favorite when I phoned them on a Thursday (from my house in the USA) and asked if they had a vacancy for my arrival the following Tuesday. It was low season, February, and they said "sure, no problem"! When I arrived, they offered me a capuccino and a newspaper to read while the housekeeping staff made up some rooms. They let me choose between a couple of rooms, and I scored a very nice junior suite at a great rate.

BC
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 12:14 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Agreeing with everyone else, it's OK to ask.