Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Brookline Ave / Longwood stay : Need some advice!

Old Oct 30th, 2015, 01:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone,

I'm coming to Boston in 2 weeks for a conference and I'm staying around the Longwood / Brookline Ave area and I have some (really quite silly) questions.

1. Where can I buy groceries?
I'm staying AirBnB so I'll want to be able to make a cup of tea with milk and maybe toast something... but I've no idea where the grocery stores are!

2. Am I planning too much? (I feel like a muppet for asking, but I'm travelling alone, and always feel like I'm over-preparing....)

Day 1:
Arrive at 3 /4 pm.
Dinner. Is there anywhere decent for pizza around there? Is Penguin Pizza good?
Sleep. I think I might be okay with this one

Day 2:
AM: FreeToursByFoot Tour of the Freedom Trail
Lunch: Something near Faneuil Hall
PM (afternoon): Newbury Street, Cheers (am a sucker for this!)
Dinner: South Street Diner

Days 3 - 5:
Conference at BU

Day 6:
AM: Holocaust Memorial; FreeToursByFoot of Little Italy
Lunch: Might never need to eat again
PM (afternoon): Harvard? Hahvahd Tour? Is it worth it? Much to see up there?
DInner: Somewhere that I can dine alone and not be mortified! Preferably somewhere near House of Blues on Lansdowne Street or on that side of town
PM (night): House of Blues - James Bay - ridiculously excited about this

Day 7:
AM: Isabella Gardner Museum
Lunch: anywhere really
PM: Any suggestions?

3. Wifi?
Is there any free wifi across Boston? Are there any spots in particular that are best?

4. Is there anything I should see that I've missed out and you think that I'd get back home and kick myself for not checking out?

5. Being on my own, apart from naturally being careful, are there any areas that I should maybe avoid or anything like that?

I'd really appreciate any insight you all may have!
Thanks
K
Old Oct 30th, 2015, 02:43 AM

It would be helpful to know more about where you are staying.

We would call that "the Medical Area" because it is near all the hospitals and medical schools, but in very general terms, one end is almost in Brookline Village, the other end is almost in Kenmore Square. There is a lot of shopping and many places to eat in the broad area but you may find yourself in something of a desert depending on where you are.

There is a supermarket at Brigham Circle and another on Boylston or Brookline Ave.
Old Oct 30th, 2015, 03:02 AM

That area of Boston is generally safe, as there are so many hospitals, Northeastern Univ, Harvard Medical School campus - with people coming and going at all hours. Just be city smart and you will be fine. Some random thoughts below.

Agree (again) with Ackislander that it depends if you are in Brookline area towards Newton, Northeastern area towards Mission Hill, or in BU/Fenway area. There are a bunch of little restaurants that come and go in the area.

There is a major supermarket at the intersection of Boylston St/Brookline Ave - a Star Market or Shaws. It used to be one of the few in MA that sell wine/beer (which are only sold in a few supermarkets).

I don't know anything about FreeToursByFoot - but I might look into the North End (not "Little Italy") walking food tour - it is really great. (Google food tour North End - it shows up easily).

There is nice cafe at Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. Since you are right in the area, even if not a baseball fan - take a tour of Fenway Park. It is fun.

WiFi in Boston is variably. Every McDonalds and Dunkin Donuts (of which there is one about every block) have free WiFi. In an area as congested as you are staying, you may likely be able to steal someones signal since some people are too dumb to secure it.

Tour of Harvard - I think you might end up with being accompanied by a bunch of high school applicants. Just walk around. Any place in Harvard Square you will feel comfortable eating alone.

Weather - it will likely be colder than you think. But yesterday it was 79 degrees northwest of Boston. And a few years ago on same date we had 10 inches of snow (yes, before Halloween) and lost power for 4 days. Do not trust any weather report - it will change. Dress in layers.
Old Oct 30th, 2015, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for this. Appreciate the heads up about the grocery stores, weather and Harvard.

I'm staying at the junction of Longwood and Brookline Avenue - is it worth heading out towards BRookline? Hadn't really thought about it.

I'm from Northern Ireland - we frequently deal with four seasons in one day, so I'm used to wearing layers and soldiering on through the rain!

Gail, I checked out the food tour, but it doesn't suit with my other commitments unfortunately.

Thanks for your help.
Old Oct 30th, 2015, 06:31 AM

Your location is right in the middle of the medical area. MBTA.com is the site for public transit system in Boston. You can enter origination and destination and it will give you routing to various places you are going. Bus service is the least desirable part of the public transit system, but there is very likely a bus that will take you right up either Brookline Ave or Boylston St to Kenmore Square (start of BU and good place to pick up Green Line branch of MBTA).

Uber ride service also works well in Boston.

Brookline is primarily residential, restaurants, shops. Nothing really sight-seeing there. Since you will be in North End area on Day 2, good place to pick up some specialized food items - like Italian cheese, breads, wine - to take back to rental.
Old Oct 30th, 2015, 10:14 AM

There's also a Trader Joe's in Brookline, near Coolidge Corner. Also in that area, there are some fun shops and restaurants. Sorry, but I don't remember their names.
Old Oct 30th, 2015, 10:25 AM
cw

I can't think of any apartments where Longwood crosses Brookline Ave. There is a hotel there. Maybe you're down the street a bit.

Penguin Pizza is good and does get crowded. It's in Brigham Circle which is down Longwood Ave. at Huntiington Ave. and Francis St. There is a Stop and Shop supermarket there, and the E line of the Green Line runs down Huntington Ave.

There is at least one bus that goes up Brookline Ave. to Kenmore Square, which may be the easiest way for you to get to BU.

Also look into tours by Boston by Foot. They are not free but you don't have to give a big tip like you do on the free tours. Boston by Foot guides are volunteers who go through a rigorous study period with tests before they are qualified as guides.

The National Park Service also offers free walking tours of the Freedom Trail.

On your Gardner Museum day, you may want to go also to the nearby Museum of Fine Arts. They have a few dining options, from a cafeteria to a cafe or two, and a more formal dining room. it's a great museum and worth your time.

Do you like seafood? Not inexpensive but you could eat at the bar at Island Creek Oyster Bar before the House of Blues. There are a lot of restaurants in that area. Boston Beer Works is another alternative. Tasty Burger on Boylston St. is very casual. There is also a Wahlberger's on Brookline Ave. I wouldn't feel odd dining alone at any of those places or the other places around. No one will look at you and find it odd either.

For your Freedom Trail/North End days there is a food court at Quincy Market for a quick lunch, and many other nearby restaurants. Or you could go to Regina's Pizza (go to the one in the North End, not one of the branches).

Another popular casual restaurant in the medical area, just off Huntington, is the Squealing Pig.
http://squealingpigboston.com/

There are Starbucks and Dunkin Donut shops on Longwood and Brookline Ave. for convenient wifi.

For safety, the medical area to downtown is safe. Use normal precautions, stay on well-lighted streets and you'll be fine.
Old Oct 30th, 2015, 01:35 PM

cw - I was thinking the same thing about an apartment at Longwood/Brookline Ave. It is all hospital and other institutions. Can't even think of anything on Brookline Ave or Longwood towards Harvard Medical area.

K8LM - what is the actual street name of the apartment?
Old Oct 30th, 2015, 01:43 PM
cw

Gail, I hope K8LM comes back with the address. I'm not picturing any apartments nearby, unless there is a building sort of opposite Harvard Medical at the corner of Louis Pasteur. But the area is all college or medical buildings for the most part.
Old Oct 30th, 2015, 03:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Longwood Galleria is at that intersection, apartments are above it. It has a CVS which has milk, bread, tea, snacks. Also there's a Dunkin and a McDonald's in there for free wifi. A number of fast food choices in the "food court", and a Bar & Grille that's overpriced, but at least you can grab a beer if you wish. Stop n Shop the major supermarket is walkable, just a block beyond Penguin Pizza (turn right on Tremont). TGIFridays is right next to Stop n Shop for happy hour meals, and JPLicks ice cream is a must-try.
And you're in luck, the neighborhood Irish Pub, Flann O'Briens is right there too and a fun spot.
Old Oct 30th, 2015, 11:38 PM
Original Poster

Hey everyone,
Clarkgriswold is right - the apt I'm staying in is above Longwood Galleria.
Thanks so much for all of this - I really appreciate your suggestions and help!
k
Old Oct 31st, 2015, 01:57 AM

Thanks Clarkgriswold - I did not picture that as apartments and thought it was medical offices. I am happy for K8LM that we now know s/he is staying in a real place at the defined location. I stand corrected.

Have a good trip. (We will be happy to micro-manage any other aspect of this trip if you wish)
Old Oct 31st, 2015, 06:40 AM
cw

Yes, I'm relieved as well. Thanks. It will be a convenient location and with all the fast food outlets nearby, wifi shouldn't be a problem--though most rentals come with it. There is a b.good right across the street for casual salads and burgers. In addition to the other places mentioned at Brigham Circle, there is Soul Fire (barbecue) next to Penguin Pizza, and the Mission Bar and Grille across the street.
Old Oct 31st, 2015, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

You're all fantastic! I honestly didn't expect such a response - you've all been so helpful!
Old Oct 31st, 2015, 11:55 AM

I don't really agree with the advice to "just walk around" Harvard. It would be more interesting if you had a guide book that explained the major buildings. Not sure about a tour. The last time I was there in September the tours definitely seemed to have many prospective students. There are some excellent university museums.

For your trip to Cheers: I have actually never been inside but I can't believe it would take much time to visit this spot. Once you are there, I would recommend walking in the Beacon Hill area which is a charming part of the city. The Nichols House museum and Museum of African American history/African Meeting house are both very interesting.

As mentioned in another post, the MFA is a wonderful museum and right now it has a great special exhibit, Class Distinctions: Dutch Painting in the Age of Rembrandt and Vermeer (through January 18, 2016)