Brokeback Mountain, Wyoming?

Old Jan 12th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Brokeback Mountain, Wyoming?

It doesn't really exist of course, but, where, if at all, in Wyoming, was the movie shot?

Stunning scenery.

At the risk of raising hell, that's about all I can say about the movie I'm afraid. Did I miss something?

MaryJo
England
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 09:33 AM

It was actually shot in Southern Alberta (my back yard) and yes it is stunning!
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Lenore. Lucky you. What a place to wake up to!

Mary Jo
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 01:36 PM

Did not see the movie, but saw various clips and I have to say the scenary was stunning! I must go there...I adore the mountains. MaryJo: it is supposed to big winner at the Oscars....Keith and Jake are so incredibly gorgeous, yes?
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 02:28 PM
JJ5

I just read "An Unfinished Life" and it's going to be made into a movie. It's entirely in Wyoming. I wonder now if they will shoot it there or go to Canada as well.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 05:53 PM

Maybe it will be shot in Italy and be a "spaghetti western" LOL

Old Jan 12th, 2006, 06:16 PM

An Unfinished Life has been filmed, released, come and gone. I'm hoping it will be out on video soon. It was filmed in Alberta and British Columbia as well. Robert Redford, Jennifer Lopez and Morgan Freeman were the leads.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 10:08 PM

We are big Stargate fans, which is supposedly set in Colorado Springs (where we live), but is actually filmed in Canada. We about died laughing during one episode at the shots of "Albuquerque" with giant evergreens, moss, ferns, etc. Who knew that the Southwest could look so much like the Northwest.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 04:07 AM
Original Poster

Oh yes, Judyrem, Jake especially is heart-stoppingly handsome. It was quite a moving picture (no pun intended) but I was trying to figure out why I wasn't going through hankies at a rate of knots, as was my buddy who accompanied me. Also, I became irritated with the sound quality - I reclon I must have missed about a third of the whole dialogue as apart from when they yelled at one another, the 2 men seemed to mumble their lines.

Now that I know about 'An Unfinished Life', I shall look out for it over here. The scenery in America and Canada is hard to beat.

Regards
MaryJo
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 06:20 AM

MaryJo, IMO, the infidelity (not the homosexual)aspect of thr movie turns a lot of women off. Many of my friends feel the same way too! In fact, I will usually try to avoid movies with that as a main theme. Jake was also gorgeous in Jarhead, especially in the dancing Santa scenes;-). Keith was way too sexy in Casanova too....liked that very much too.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 07:05 AM

Who the heck is Keith?

The movie I saw starred Heath!
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 07:10 AM
JJ5

Yes, the infidelity theme is one I always try to avoid as well. One exception was "The English Patient" which has some of the most beautiful visuals in Africa, in Italy etc. that I have ever seen on film. BUT, I've still had discussion groups on this one, because as much as I loved the movie, it did idealize infidelity and more. Quite a different tale told from the poor husband's angle.

I pictured Robert Redford when I read, but honestly Jennifer Lopez! I just can't picture her jiving with the book's character at all- and not just in appearance. This girl doesn't have a good central identity. And I think Jaylo well- totally the opposite. I will see it on video for sure. And I bet the visuals will be great.

When was it out? I totally missed it! But that doesn't surprise me too much, as I do not get to the movies much any more. The university movie critics here think Matchpoint is good.

Canada has some of the most beautiful Northern woods as well as the mountain scenery. I'll be seeing some at the end of May.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 07:29 AM

For those who find the infidelity aspect disturbing, you would probably find more disturbing how accurate it is. A quick peek at any personals (men seeking men) will confirm that "married a plus" or "married preferred". What is not typical was the long-term love connection between the characters. Most are anonymous hook-ups during the day when wives are at work. Take a peek at craigslist for your city if you want to confirm. I think the devotion and committment to one another was very beautifully portrayed in the movie.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 07:34 AM

My favorite Jake Gyllenhaal film is "October Sky". It showcases the gorgeous scenery of West Virginia, tells a true (for the most part) story, and manages to entertain without the use of violence, foul language or adult subject matter.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 07:48 AM

Starrsville, you may justify it anyway you want, but infidelity is WRONG....gay or straight. I had misgivings with Bridges of Madison County and American Beauty too. I know it exists but I prefer not to condone it. I am not a prude or religous nut, butif one makes a commitment to another, keep the promise. Where is the honor, the respect? Yes, HEATH is gorgeous too .
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 07:55 AM

In the movie, there was infidelity on both sides. Heath's wife married her boss after an affair.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

I've been analysing why I went to see this movie and why I started this post.

Any movie I hear or read about that has good reviews for the story and, a bonus, depicts the incomparable glory of North American scenery, has me chomping at the bit and I couldn't wait for it to open in the UK. I asked on Fodors where the movie was filmed and I wasn't surprised to read that it was somewhere else (why do they do that? Wyoming/Montana has similar glorious scenery) but because I like the USA and travelling and exploring as much of it as I can is almost an obsession as well as a hobby, I would plan a whole trip around that area, and have done so before.

I was comfortable with content of the movie, I didn't think it depicted gratuitous sex between the men, in fact I found the violence scenes more offensive, the idea about avoiding the movie because it contained infidelity never crossed my mind - I might never go to another ballet, opera or play if I employed that criteria...Mozart's Marriage of Figaro?

As someone else said here, enduring love such as this is uncharacteristic but not unknown, however, I have concluded that the movie didn't impress me because I didn't find the portrayal of their love very convincing. Now, that could be because the movie portrayed the time and circumstances, yet the men were demonstrative in other ways.

It could just be me. I should see it again. Always good to read others reviews though.

MaryJo
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 09:16 AM

MaryJoMargaux, to answer the question of why they film in Alberta as opposed to Wyoming - where else can they get $1,000,000 worth of production help for $830,000? The dollar difference really helps keep the costs down. Also, there have been many films shot in the area, so the infrastructure and the expertise is already in place.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Got it, Lenore. I guessed that might be the reason. Very beautiful part of the continent. Another trip to plan and look forward to.

Thank you

MJM
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 09:39 AM

Judyem, I not justifying anything. Just stating reality.

Re "everything in Canada on sale" - the best time I ever had was during an end of season sale at a Eddie Bauer in Vancouver. On top of the great sale prices, everything was an additional 30% off due to the difference in the dollar.

Just this week I sat down for lunch with a group of Canadians and the conversation was "American" movies filmed in Canada. It's just too cost effective NOT to film over the border!