Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Broadway with teens: Annie Get Your Gun (minus Reba) or something else?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 05:28 AM
Kathy

We had our hearts set on seeing Annie Get Your Gun while in N.Y.C. in April. Reba McIntrye will not be performing the dates we're there. Is is worth seeing without her or should we choose something else? Kids are 15, 13 and 11. What about Music Man? Is Seusical too young? Tom Sawyer? Any other suggestions for a 3 day stay with kids these ages would be appreciated. We're staying at the Grand Hyatt at Grand Central Station. Thinking about moving over to Times Square area. Thoughts?

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 05:45 AM
Jane

I thought she was performing until the end of May. I have tickets for early May--how do I find out what dates she'll be performing?

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 05:47 AM
Marilyn

We took our 13 year old son to see Annie Get Your Gun last summer (with Bernadette Peters). It was fabulous and he enjoyed it very much. I think it would be worth seeing no matter who is starring in the Annie role. We stayed at the Marriott Marquis (the theatre is in the hotel)!! What can be more convenient than that?!! I would recommend the Times Square area. Easily accessible to everything.

Have fun!

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 07:17 AM
Caitlin

I don't think there's a particular reason to move to Times Square, except perhaps for easier access to the west side subway lines. The Grand Hyatt is pretty accessible to midtown, though, and the dining concourse (like an upscale food court) at Grand Central Terminal is a geat place for quick, quality meals with kids.

I would add "Kiss Me Kate" to your show list. The kids who were there when I saw it really seemed to enjoy it, and it's a terrific production.

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 07:22 AM
rqf

Unless there is a savings involved I would't move. It is a about a 10 minute walk from the hotel to Times Square. Distance is just under 1/2 mile.

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 09:00 AM
jo

Music Man is being praised by everyone I know--all parents w/kids. I also loved Annie get your Gun.

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 09:01 AM
GOL

Yes, AGYG is worth it. Nice show. Great theatre (comforatble). Seats make the difference, so if you have good seats don't change.

Others for kids:
Beauty and the Beast
Kiss Me Kate
Suessical (nice, not too young, but last on this list)
Les Mis

Consider Blue Man or Stomp too.

42nd Street may be in preview mode. This time probably not with Law and Order's main man, though. Too bad. Probably get good seats and prices. Check playbill.com for more.

Any other suggestions?
Museums - Nat. History, for example, will be good. Many others are too.

Zoo - Bronx Zoo. Very nice.

Shopping - major book and music stores may interest your kids. Virgin records @ Broadway area.

ESPNzone (Times Sq area) has arcade on 3/4 floor;

Themed restaurants: Mars 2115 (?)

Yankee Game

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 02:46 PM
Jane

My husband's a big Reba fan (yes, I married a country music fan. Go figure. At least he's not into NASCAR). Anyway, does anyone know how to find out if Reba will be in the role on May 5?

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 04:14 PM
GOL

Sorry it's not a yes/no, but try writing as cast message on the anniegetyourgun.com web site.

Usually sites post when the stars won't be playing (if it is planned)

Also, many theatre nuts hang out at talkinbroadway.com - who know this type of stuff (if she is off weekends, for example to be with her kid).

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 05:40 PM
Kathy

I didn't mean to start a scare about Reba not being in Annie Get Your Gun. According to the box office she is not performing April 10-18 and will return after that. Must be taking a break. The replacement for that period is still "to be announced" so I'm a little leary of staying with that musical and am thinking we may be better off with something not minus the star. I don't know enough about Broadway to know if the performance will be lacking with a stand in.

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 07:03 PM
GOL

I would not hesitate to see AGYG with Reba's replacement. The show hasn't been on long enough to have only newbies playing all the roles, cutting their Broadway teeth on a long-running production.

Unless you really want to see the specific star, most shows will be of a high quality.

[Oddly enough, we were very dissapointed with Cats, Les Mis, Phantom after they had been on for many years. Most of the cast was brand-y new; played their parts on the tour. All three had 'duds' in lead roles. Singing off key. So strange we commented on it at the time..]

I keep saying this, but seats are by far the most important part of any broadway show, 90% of the time.

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 09:39 AM
GOL

Some recent discounts from playbill.com

BROADWAY OFFERS
42nd Street - save 35% - offer ends 5/1
Chicago - save 25% - offer ends 4/30
Jane Eyre - save 45% - offer extended to 4/12
The Gathering - save 25% - offer ends 6/30
The Invention of Love - save 33% - purchase by 3/29 for perfs to 5/27
King Hedley II - save 35% - for 4/10-6/8
Bells Are Ringing - save up to 35% - offer ends 5/12
Fosse - save up to 40% - offer extended 3/30