Reload this Page >

Hotel in New York City

Search

Hotel in New York City

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2001, 11:21 AM
linda fromNJ

Hotel in New York City

My husband and I are planning a weekend getaway to NYC for my birthday in June. We have narrowed it down to 6 hotels to stay in. They are: Benjamin, Excelsior, Michaelangelo, Plaza or the Warwick. We are looking for something centrally located and not frar from the theatre district, spacious nice rooms with good weekend rates. Any suggestions.

Old Mar 25th, 2001, 11:27 AM
jan

My husband & I were at Plaza for the last 3 nights of 1999 and the first night of 2000. The Plaza was an awesome experience. We LOVED it.

Old Mar 25th, 2001, 04:00 PM
rqf

The Michaelangeo is the hotel closest to the theater district. It is on W. 51st just off 7th Avenue. Times Square is less than a five minute walk. The hotel furthest from the theater district is the Excelsior located on W. 81st (across the street from Natural HIstory Museum). The Plaza is on Central Park South and 5th Avenue - almost one mile from the theater district. Warwick and Benjamin are 10 to 15 minute walk from theater district.

Old Mar 25th, 2001, 07:08 PM
xxx

Have you looked at the Algonquin and the Casablanca? Both of them are in the theatre district and are reasonably priced for NYC. Casablanca has interesting and nice rooms, and the hotel has a second floor lounge where they serve complimentary tea and treats in the early evening. The one room I was in was spacious (for NYC) with a huge bathroom. The Algonquin has lots of character, and the rooms are also quite nice although not particularly spacious. I would note that the Plaza is notorious for having really small rooms unless you are willing to pay up for a larger room. I heard that the Michelangelo was fine, but not particularly wonderful.

Old Mar 25th, 2001, 08:42 PM
annK

Linda, you also might look into the Palace which is on Madison between 50th and 51st, one of my favorites and certainly in the same price range. The rooms have been recently redone and the lobby/commons area is specacular.

Cirque 2000, one of the best restaurants in the city is also right in the hotel and is beautifully done.

They offer very good corporate and weekend rates. Not too far walk to the theatre district or a bus or taxi ride.

Have a wonderful time while you are here.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 06:19 AM
bsymom

We stayed at the DoubleTree Suites. Two years ago it was $250.00 a night, which included a great breakfast buffet. You get two rooms (living area, bedroom, refrigerator, microwave, and coffemaker), a great view of Times Square, and the one night we walked out of the hotel and into the theatre right next door. It doesn't have a fancy lobby or anything but the rooms are spacious. I think it's on 48th and Broadway.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 01:51 PM
southie

Just got back from weekend in RHIGA Royal-terrific all suite luxury hotel on 54th/7th-$249 a night weekend rate and right next to Broadway theatres(Times Square 5 minute walk)-request an 01 size room

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 02:32 PM
John

Westin and Omni both have weekend specials on their respective web sites. I booked $199 at the Essex House and at the Omni Berkshire Place. Chose Essex House because of the Central Park location but was totally thrilled with the rate at either of these four-diamond properties.