Broadway tickets

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 05:59 AM
Al

Broadway tickets

I am going to be in NYC Aug 3-6 and want to see a broadway show on the saturaday night. How is the ticket situation for Lion King?
Last year I was there it was hard to find, did it get better?

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 06:19 AM
Howard

It's lightened up a little, but still a tough ticket. I would call for tickets immediately.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 07:37 AM
Harriett

My husband and I were in NYC for two nights last week -- arrived Monday, left after matinee Wednesday. Because there were so many shows that we wanted to see, we decided not to buy in advance and (as we did last year) got in line at the World Trade Center TKTS booth (Building Two, mezzanine) at 10 a.m. Tuesday. Waited in line, chatting with others about who's seen what and which to avoid . .. When shows were posted, we had about 30 to choose from - Not the really hot ones, but several that had been among our top five choices - including Cabaret, Beauty & the Beast, Contact, Cuckoo's Nest (w/Gary Sinese), 42nd Street, lots of others. By 11:20, we had half-price excellent seats to Contact (for Tuesday night) and Cuckoo's Nest (for Weds. matinee). Apparently this secret is becoming better-known, as many people around us said the line was longer than they had ever seen it -- but far better for us, in the air-conditioned Trade Center, than those poor souls we saw at Times Square TKTS booth on Wednesday, in a multi-block line in 85-degree sunshine! Be sure to remember that they take only cash or travelers' cheques, and that you can buy both same-day evening tickts and next-day matinee tickets by standing on line only once. And Howard, Contact was truly as wonderful as you said -- thanks for the recommendation!

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 07:42 AM
Caitlin

Just to clarify, you can only buy next-day matinee tix at the World Trade Center TKTS booth; in Times Square, it's strictly same-day. Love, love, love Contact; helps if you're a dance fan, but it's not essential.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 09:22 AM
Howard

Al, one thing for sure, you definitely will NOT find tickets discounted anywhere for The Lion King. Just be happy to get them at any price!
Harriett, glad to hear you enjoyed Contact.
Note that Harriett's success at the TKTS booth occurred at the beginning of the week. Keep in mind that the choices are not as broad on weekends.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 05:17 PM
Les

I checked on Lion King tickets for Labor Day weekend at the Ticketmaster site, and they are sold out for all days. My kids really wanted to see it. Any suggestions?

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 06:35 PM
Howard

Les, how old are your children?

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 07:04 PM
cindywolfenet.com

Last summer I took 2 children ( 10 and 16 ) to NY. We saw Lion King, Aida and Les Mis. All 3 of us liked Aida the best.. just a thought.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 07:32 PM
Les

Howard, my daughter is 15, son is 9. I was thinking about something that he would enjoy, too. They would probably like Beauty and the Beast, too. I took her to see Les Miserables in Dallas this summer, and she really enjoyed it. Something lighter this time?

Thanks!

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 05:55 AM
Howard

Les, you certainly know your daughter better than I do, but I would think she might be a little too old for Beauty and the Beast. I might suggest The Music Man or Annie Get Your Gun as shows that both your children should enjoy. And, you have a good chance of getting tickets for either at the TKTS booth in Times Square. (You'll probably arrive too late on the 3rd to get down to the one in the World Trade Center where you'd be able to get tickets for both Friday evening and Saturday matinee.)
I'd wait until you get here. You can always go the box office at that time and pay full price.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 07:22 AM
elaine

Les,

Re: Beauty and the Beast: I concur with Howard that your daughter may not enjoy the play. My friend took her 13 year old daughter to see Beauty and the Beast recently and reports her daughter was a bit too old compared to other children in the audience; she did not enjoy the play (but did enjoy Les Mis).
Howard gives great advice...I would follow his recommendation!